No copy items

Hermione Lefevre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

Is it greed or some other reason?

It is stupidity. Although there are things which should be no copy, the majority of items shouldn't. As a merchant, I don't sell anything that is no copy. Why? Simple. Think about this. I buy a no copy item for 100L, I don't use it much, friend says "I like your shirt, where did you get it" I reply "oh here you can have it since I don't use it much", Merchant made 100L.

Now, this. I buy a copy no transfer item for 100L, friend says "I like your shirt, where did you get it?" since I cannot give my friend this shirt I barely ever wear I give them the LM and they go buy it. Merchant made 200L for 2 sales. So as to why people will sell no copy items it is just stupidity nothing else.

This is exactly the reason I only make copy/mod items, but I do get request from time to time for transfer versions some people want to be able to give them to friends in world in a gift box or left under a tree.  How did you lose it?  some times things just get missplaced in world or in you inventory.  If you have a viewer like firestorm you can search for it inworld, all so check your lost and found some times items appear in it a bit later if SL is acting up.  Some merchants will replace it, never hurts to ask.

Some people may believe that limiting permissions will force people to buy more of their products.

I can't say that they're wrong, but even as a policy rooted in pure rationalism and without empirical testing, it lacks the completeness of a more thoroughly considered idea.

If someone wants 2 of something, they may buy a second one instead of copying it. Sure. 

But why might they not simply prefer something similar at a slightly higher price, which they can also copy?

And if the no copy item is lost (as all data eventually is, which cannot be functionally duplicated), why should someone prefer to buy exactly the same thing? - and especially if there is, again, something that costs only slightly more but which is less likely to have to be replaced during the lifetime of the user account?

If customers actually want to pay more for something with lesser utility just because it's potentially less unrare in some way, that's not really yhe merchant's fault, even if merchants may be doing things to encourage customers to think that way.

So, really, if some customer keeps buying stuff even after the learing experience of having it vanish from the system, such a person doesn't really have much basis for complaint. 

Merchants and LL will tend to do whatever they are enabled to do by merchants. A difference is that merchants ultimately have to follow LL's rules (which do not include replacing things lost by LL) whereas LL seems to have zero accountability even as would be consistent with the terms of sevice which they provide.

The crux of the biscuit is that while merchants may or may not be misguided by providing the no copy items which customer effectively ask for by continuing to buy them for whatever reason, LL is ultimately a better position than either the merchant or buyer should an item be lost from the system after a sale is completed; if the item is to replaced by something, another sale will take place and LL will get another commission; if the item need not be replaced because it is not lost, then LL effectively loses a devious commission... so why should LL not want your no-copy stuff to disappear from the system (after some statistically optimized period of time)?

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

Is it greed or some other reason?

What permissions to set on a product depends on the item aside from the sellers' taste. As to furniture, for example the same bed can be placed in many rooms if the purchaser has many rooms in their house or if they are in rental house business, so if it is copy/no trans, the seller may lose some business opportunity. The same goes for dance animations. The purchaser can put it into many dance balls which are equipped in their clubs, halls, parks, open spaces and such if it's copy/no trans, hence they usually offer copiable animations for a higher price.

In the majority of situations it's greed. It's also less likely that you'll get any understanding from a greedy merchant when it comes to replacement or refund .

But there are many situations where no copy makes sense, for example, food for breedables. but this is the biggest greed sector of all, so yes it is greed.

worsed thing that happened to me is I bought a dance pavillion..no copy..rezzed it ( no rezzbox)and wanted to take it back in my inventory after a while..it came apart in pieces..so I had a big puzzle to connect..i was so mad lol

so what do sellers think..I say `great,let me buy another`???

I don't buy copy items unless I really want it and I can't find an alternative (very rare thankfully).    The market I sell to is those people who think like me.  It's not greed (it's ok guys, it's a full moon out there so I suppose comprehension skills and manners drop around this time of the month) it's allowing choice.

Some of you might not be bright enough to grasp the concept that different people want different things out of the objects they buy in second life, so you may just have to take my word for it.  There's enough people catering to each taste that this shouldn't be an issue.  At the beginning I used to sell items with a choice of either perms but it took to long to set both up that when I made a choice of only selling one version I went with the perms I'd want.  The percentage of sales of each set of perms was pretty well the same - so there was no overwhelming demand for copy.

the pro tip here is that not everyone wants what you people want, so get over it and stop displaying your ignorance.

eta:  sorry Josh, that wasn't aimed at you - I clicked the wrong reply button.

Naturally If there is a choice of the same item just with different perms settings, that could not be considered greed by itself outside of a price analysis, but if the Merchant is using only transfer perms exclusively on any product and trying to stuff that down (all) their customers throats, then that can only be considered an attempt at greediness since the vast majority of the customers out there really aren't all that interested in retailing or trading already purchased product (which could be considered a mutual greed factor from both the merchant and the customers as the motivating reason). For a  product that can only be copied to be considered greedy, it would have to be purely a price factor. Any product with no mod perms automatically has to be considered a merchant greed factor as well since greed and paranoia usually go hand an hand. So those who say they are only interested in transfer products must automatically be labeled as greedy. Possibly even an L.L. Agent. ;-)

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

worsed thing that happened to me is I bought a dance pavillion..no copy..rezzed it ( no rezzbox)and wanted to take it back in my inventory after a while..it came apart in pieces..so I had a big puzzle to connect..i was so mad lol

In this case you have the damaged goods you could ask to return it the exchange to a new one, that way if the merchant knows your not trying to just get a second copy for free (not saying that you are) That's just one reason some merchants might hesitate to replace a no copy item.   Personally I'd just replace or help fix it.  Seeing how some one is trying to mod an item I made has given me several ideas for improvement, if customers needed help with building skills for moding an item I've helped with that too. 

By the way dose this mean you found the item you lost or is this a different one

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

That's inexcusable on the merchant's part *unless* there were instructions included that specifically state the item is "soft-linked" and then proceed to give instructions on how to properly rez, move, and take back into inventory a soft-linked item.  It doesn't sound like there were any such instructions since the pavilion was not in a box.  Sometimes merchants put instructions inside an object if it is purchased "from the floor" ie. not from a vendor, but one can't expect customers to look for that. 

I write clear step-by-step instructions for my products and if one is soft-linked (made in parts) I stress that at the beginning of the instructions (and give complete instructions on how to rez, move, take into inventory) such an item.  If someone chooses to not read the instructions, which I have labeled as "IMPORTANT!! PLEASE READ!!" then what happens...happens.  In my case, if a customer contacted me I would replace it regardless (and then give instructions on how to handle soft-linked items).  But as for the point of this thread...if the item had been copyable...the first time you tried to take it and saw it was in parts, you would then know how to deal with the next one you rezzed.

So yes, I'd be really peeved if that happened to me.

Couldbe Yue wrote:

<snip>... different people want different things out of the objects they buy in second life...  There's enough people catering to each taste that this shouldn't be an issue.  At the beginning I used to sell items with a choice of either perms but it took to long to set both up that when I made a choice of only selling one version I went with the perms I'd want.  The percentage of sales of each set of perms was pretty well the same - so there was no overwhelming demand for copy.

Very true.  Up until very recently I sold my items (small home furnishings) mod/trans because years ago I would sell items I no longer wanted in yard sales or gave them away.  Earlier this year I began thinking about that again and started a thread to get an idea if people preferred mod/copy or mod/trans.  The people who responded to that thread were split with the majority wanting copy but some who also preferred transfer and there were good arguments to be made on both sides as a couple posters have indicated.

I've had situations where I purchased a no trans outfit for my alt, then really wanted it for my main and wished that it had transfer permissions, but at the time I purchased it the situation was different.  I made the personal decision to change my items to mod/copy with a sign in my store that says I will provide mod/trans upon request.

Couldbe, I rememer way back on the Resident Answers forum that a merchant purchased an expensive vending system that offered either choice.  She was very pleased with it, but I'm with you; that gets to be just more work when I can accomodate a choice if one wishes.

Hermione Lefevre wrote:

I am no genious indeed but bright enough to not buy from a merchant who calls critical customers ignorant

now you may have missed the, what appear to now be missing, replies which were nodding and agreeing with the greed - which is what my reply was aimed at.  That said, if you want to take offense (and it wasn't aimed at you and your question) go right ahead - it's a free world, I'm not going to stop you.

My only tip is don't buy transfer items if you don't like the perms.

I'm very much in favor of merchants making money, even if they do happen to be motivated by greed.

An exception would be where greed or some other thing, regardless of what, causes a merchant not to follow a market capitalist ethic in which making money is intelligible as justified by providing a value to consumer greater than that to which they already assign the money to be spent on the item. 

Caveat emptor is supposed to empower both buyers and sellers by preventing a certain amount of disappointment. 

It is not a moral license for merchants to assume that anything they might get away with sets an acceptable standard of fairness. 

Taking maximum advantage of imperfections built into the system stands to detract from the total degree of trust between buyers and sellers as part of a total climate of confidence. 

For this reason, when one merchant acts like a d1ck, it potentially reflects on all of us. 

THAT, I'm against. 

This debate is almost as old as Second Life.  I have seen just as many tirades about copy items because people want to be able to sell or give away what they have purchased, and abhored noncopy items.  It all comes down to preference, and your preference is no less or more valid than someone else's, it is just different.  You cannot please everyone, and not everyone will be your customer.  I have fewer transfer items than I used to, and I have offered items both ways.  Ultimately, it is up to what the merchant wants to do with his/her creations, the value they place on them, and in finding a customer who agrees with the need, quality and specific permissions that are acceptable to them.  To come here and try to vilify a merchant for whatever choices they have made in offering their own creations is being quite pretentious if you ask me.  Buy it or don't for your own personal reasons.  You have your right to make your choices, but then so does the merchant.

Spica Inventor wrote:

Naturally If there is a choice of the same item just with different perms settings, that could not be considered greed by itself outside of a price analysis, but if the Merchant is using only transfer perms exclusively on any product and trying to stuff that down (all) their customers throats, then that can only be considered an attempt at greediness since the vast majority of the customers out there really aren't all that interested in retailing or trading already purchased product 

Hard to imagine how me setting the perms on my merchandise constitutes stuffing them down anyone's throat. As others have said, if you don't want transfer stuff, don't buy it. Problem solved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.