people tell you who you are !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In this last days i met many people who they judge you and lell you that you are this and you are that,by just looking at your avatar look,or you profil and the age of your avatar and tell things about you even when you deny what they said,they countenu to be stubborn.

Isn't it like in real life? People are always trying to gather infromation about things by looking at them. From a survival point of view this is a good part in human behavior. In nature you have only one moment to decide if an animal is dangerous or not. And you shouldn't try if a fruit is good for you by eating it. Building an opinion out of looking at something or someone is not wrong or right, its a natural behavior.

And not always are we wrong with this opinion. If I see someone who has 3-4 music clubs in his profile, I assume he likes to go dancing and listen to music. If I see a girls profile full of neko stores, I assume she likes to wear neko outfits and if I see a profile with lots of kinky groups....well you know...

What someone does with this information is then up to each person. Some may decide to not talk to the person, others will start a conversation because of what they have seen.

As you get older in SL, just like in RL - people judge less. Once you get to my SL age - almost 4 years in the game, people simply do not mess with you anymore. I guess even in SL, people respect their elders.

It is aggrivating at first yeah cause you are establishing your look etc and then you have some telling you how to look.

I think the worst ones are the ones close to a year who think they know everything.

Ha, thats nothing - I once read a profile where the readers of the profile were judged. (if you have/do/look ... then you ...) I didn't read to the end. :)

As long as people stay silent I don't care. If they start to explain their stuff I right click/mute and don't care anyways.

SL is a nice place for wannabe Dr. Freud's or worse I think. *giggles*

Good sir, you had not mentioned what someone judged you about. Just wondering if you don't mind one asking.

I used to get judged cause my avatar shape is a bit larger (she would probably be a size 14 USA if she were a RL human)

Also, I have a hunch that you are hanging out in some **bleep** infested infohub sim like help Island Public. You get a lot of rude asses and cliques in places like that. The good thing about those is that they tend to piss off a lot of people and sometimes the griefers get so bad they end up shutting down. The griefers in this case are those who have a bone to pick and not just bored noobs.

Some places are non-judgemental though. I used to go to BBWorld, it is a place for larger avatars (mostly ladies) and the men who love us. The LO's main rule - no judging. All are wecome. We even had a male avatar there who was clearly male (shaved head, beard, shape, skin) but wore a dress. No one messes with him.

In SL or RL - you have to acquire the strength to say "This is who I am, hell with those who do not approve". An old 80's metal song by Helloween explains this very well, it is called "We got the right".

You have to OWN who you are ;)

You have received some great advice and I hope that you take it.  Why should it matter if those who do not know you start making assumptions about you?  Walk away.  They do not deserve your time.

SL is a reflection of RL.  You have all kinds here.

You are probably getting more of this since you have a new avatar, even though you've been in SL for a while.  People who are just a year or so old like to judge newbs because it makes them feel like they are important. Like Seniors in high school judging freshman.

Smart people know that you can't judge a book by its cover, ESPECIALLY in SL.  So that says a lot about people that are judging you.  Who cares what they think?  Who cares what anyone thinks? It is YOUR second life, be yourself, be whoever you want to be.  Be happy.  Mute anyone that tries to make you feel bad.

Amethyst says "you can't judge a book by its cover" in SL...I have to disagree.

Your avatar and your profile are created by YOU. You should take time with them both, to make sure they say what you want them to say about you.

If people are seeing them, and making "judgments" that you don't like, or that don't reflect the person you feel you are, that's feedback.  Of course you must consider the source...jerks will be jerks.  But once you filter that out, then you may have some valuable information about things you may want to change about your avatar and profile.

I absolutly agree!

You see my furry avatar, so you automaticly assume I like this kind of avatars and I may hang out at furry places. Is this wrong to think? No. Cause I am the reason why people come to that conclusion. If I don't want to lead people to that idea I have to dress different. Same goes for the female avatar who complained a while ago that she does get weird chat up lines....her name stated her as a sex toy. Was it wrong for people to write her those lines? No, they were just working with what they had been given.

I saw a respected older avatar saying some pretty nasty things about people with the "resident" surname a few days back. He had clearly forgotten that i was in the same position, seeing as he had been chatting to me earlier and ran one of my groups.

I wish i had a proper surname because that prejudice very clearly exists, even among people i wouldnt expect it of.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.