Don't DO it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Don't edit your appearance in public! :P

It's like showing up to a dinner party and plucking your nose hairs at the table.

Have some class. TP home, hit a sandbox, go to a freind's place, step around the corner..

anything but that funky arms out -  legs flailing away pose that makes you look like a doofus.

k thnx

a lot do it to rezz themselves to other residents in the sim they just landed in..

their alphas and other textures..it's kind of common practice actually..

unless you are talking about actually editing themselves rather than doing it for the rezz value..

As Innula notes - the pose can be swithed off.

I edit my appearance in public all the time.

Switching the pose off also lets me edit it while on a pose stand or using a certain camera angle - ideal for taking composed screenshots where you've got everything set up right, and then notice something odd in appearance.

- Also key for editing for proportional accuracy - you want to do that in a perfect T-pose, which the edit appearance pose is not.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

The "
 funky arms out -  legs flailing away pose that makes you look like a doofus" is easily remedied:

Capture.JPG

erm...

Not sure what I am missing here. You sure you read my post right? I don't see an option for 'eject avatar' in that screenshot. ;)

Seriously I don't see anything relavent in that shot. And my post wasn't a question asking for help anyway. Moreover it was just to implore people to have a little manners when possible and think about how daffy it looks in the middle of a gathering for them to go into the edit appearance menu and  float there treading invisible water for several minutes (as far as anyone around them sees) while they decide if their nose looks chiseled enough or if one ear is larger than the other.

If anybody actually feels the need to have a beauty OP on themself in public they should at least be considerate enough to simply type "gth xxxxx" in their chat line and get out of the way.

xxxx being the desired height

Eileen Fellstein wrote:

both actually.

and yea, I've had to do it myself

but still, ugh

lol

and I've seen people start to dance and then decide they are gonna do a total make-over right then and there in the middle of a club, feet just a goin.

i was referring to when they get to a sim at the landing point or someone telling them they need to go into appearance because they aren't rezzed..

if they are changing on the dancefloor just b'cause and going into a tpose editing themselves..ya thats a bit different..find an area out of the way..

there is always derender also if you don't feel like saying something to them and it bugs you..

Orca Flotta wrote:

If anybody actually feels the need to have a beauty OP on themself in public they should at least be considerate enough to simply type "gth xxxxx" in their chat line and get out of the way. 

If one happens to be using certain TPVs. Less and less likely on new folks - who are most likely to be doing such editing.

The same goes for the other comment about 'derender' - never seen any such function in SL's viewer.

The viewer I use, Catznip, doesn't (I think) have GTH or "derender". 

While I'd always go home to do any serious editing, because I don't want to be disturbed and I want to do it on a pose stand with the proper T animation and, usually, not wearing much other than the item I want to edit,  I not infrequently notice an attachment needs a minor tweak because of what I'm wearing it with, and do running adjustments on the spot.   No one notices because I've got the animation turned off.

While I agree it's a bad idea, for all sorts of reasons, to do major edits in public, I don't think it's a general problem, at least not at the places I tend to go.   

funkilicous wrote:

WOW 2 pages about something that in no way effects you being able to do as you please in SL.

SL isn't all about the selfish.

The OPs concern is legit. When folks go into an edit like that they can mess up the scene for those around them, and its a bit off putting.

The answers, you'll note - don't attack that concern. They point out that there are ways around it so one doesn't have to make a spectacle of oneself when making a tweak to something.

For some of us, SL is about the 'us' and 'all' rather than just the 'me' and 'I'.

I wish people would realize this is virtual people can do as they please no one says sit there and stare at people editing ,turn the camera better yet click the red x at the top. What makes you the SL police to tell people how to use SL. They have ever right to do as they please,just like you,, ooh I don't like Bling I think have so respect don't wear it cause I don't like it,,not my place to tell others how to utilize SL. This is general discussion forum not the op ed page of your local newspaper.

Virtual people have real people behind them. It's wise to show consideration for others. This thread lets readers know how some people feel about changing appearance in public. It's information that you can accept or ignore as you wish.

Personal freedom is always limited as soon as more than one person is involved. In SL you can do as you please as long as you stay within the TOS and you're on Linden-owned land. If you're on land owned by anyone else, you can do as you please only if you don't annoy the landowner. The landowner is free to eject/ban you (and that is an unlimited freedom).

Back on topic: I don't mind seeing other people changing in public. If they're in the way of a picture I'm taking I can derender them. As for myself, I go somewhere private if I'm changing appearance; doing so in public in SL feels about as strange to me as it would to change clothes in public in RL.

funkilicous wrote:

I wish people would realize this is virtual people can do as they please...

Even though Second Life is a virtual world, it is no single player game where one can do whatever one wishes for.  In a virtual social environment it would be sensible to act in a similar manner as in the real world.

Sure we can turn our cameras away, TP away, log off, if we don't like something what we see.

Anyway, often we like to peep at people, but not when they are editing appearance in the middle of the dance floor, for example. :smileytongue:

peeping-tom.jpg

Second Life is Virtual people are not really in the dance club changing there cloths, I guess sarcasm doesn't exist in SL spouting off about TOS. No where was it mentioned that people should be allowed to break the TOS but things that are there for people to use i.e.. Edit appearance are there for a reason,just like baby huds I don't like them but what gives me the right to tell you its not acceptable to do in a strip club because I don't like it. Your social is not my social you are no better then I am in SL. When you start to believe you know what's best for others that's just wrong. People should be allowed (let me type this correct) to act within the TOS without being told or suggested that they alter their way of enjoying SL to make you SL more enjoyable.

If you prefer anarchy, perhaps you should find a Virtual World that doesn't have a TOS.

While I do have the ability to change my camera angle or TP somewhere else, what is wrong with asking another Resident to be considerate of their neighbors?

Ok what are you talking about Anarchy did you even read what I said? There are people from many countries out there not Just where your from, Muslim women must not have any skin showing so all women should be totally covered? Why are your countries beliefs and social systems more important then others? Little closed minded in my opinion. But I can see its pointless to try to get you to understand there are other people besides yourself in SL. Carry on and i hope LL doesnt shut down the servers when you log off seems SL revolves around you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4328 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.