Next Marketplace Banner and New Categories

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I appreciate the willingness of Linden Lab to work with us on fine tuning the marketplace categories.  I would say that setting up categories based on individual companies isn't the best method since companies can come and go.  Neither is trying to set up groups by type of animal because you will invariably leave some animal out - or many, in this case.  Right now, the listings leave out over half of the breedable pet types.  There are *many* other pets besides cats, dogs, and horses.

I would suggest categories of Breedable Pets/Pets, Breedable Pets/Food and Boosters, and Breedable Pets/Accessories and Buildings. (or something similar) That way the categories are all inclusive, yet divided up enough that people can find what they are looking for quickly.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linden Labs just needs to fix category searching and they wouldn't have to keep making more blasted categories.  They are confusing enough as it is.

I am perfectly cabable of picking the category I want to search in, and then entering a keyword.  But NO, the Lindens think we should only be able to search the higher categories.

Try it!

Why cant I search in the breedables for a horse?  I can only search the main animals for horses.

Fix category searching so it actually works, instead of dumbing down the system by adding more damn categories.

They think component means "related stuff".  It doesn't. It means, and forever has and will mean:

com·po·nent

[kuhm-poh-nuhnt, kom-] Show IPA

noun

a constituent part; element; ingredient.
A house is not a PART of a building.  A house IS a type of building.

For breedables, it'd make sense to have a Breedables/Other for the many things that aren't cat, dogs or horses. Also, some clarification on whether non-animal breedables should be placed in the breedables section (much like currently, fungi for gardens get placed in plants because there isn't an appropriate category). It's nice to have an official word on it, for challenging delistings.

Thanks TCL, this kind of communication and involvement in the forms is much appreciated!

I think using a category instead of keywords is a good move, the clarification is all so helpful.  One suggestion on Banner Promotions, I realize that not every one is going to have items that fit into every promotion, but if we have more notice, then at least every one have the choice if they want to participate or not.  Often my items don't fit in to a promotion, but I find it fun to build new things that I normally wouldn't, all so I think this my make the promotions more interesting for shopper if more people have time to build new items specifically for the promotion instead of only moving existing items into the promotion.

Pamela Galli wrote:

They think component means "related stuff".  It doesn't. It means, and forever has and will mean:

com·po·nent
[
k
uh
m-
poh
-n
uh
nt
kom-
]

noun
a
constituent
part;
element;
ingredient.

The word component is relative to the size of the project, a door is a component of a house, a house could be a component of a Sim, a Sim a component of a estate, at least thats how I think houses got listed as a componet.  I agree with you that houses shouldn't be in a sub category of building component.  I think there need to be a clear separation of building components( items to help you make some thing else) and finished items ready to use as is.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

com·po·nent
[
k
uh
m-
poh
-n
uh
nt
kom-
]

noun
a
constituent
part;
element;
ingredient.

The word component is relative to the size of the project, a door is a component of a house, a house could be a component of a Sim, a Sim a component of a estate, at least thats how I think houses got listed as a componet.  I agree with you that houses shouldn't be in a sub category of building component.  I think there need to be a clear separation of building components( items to help you make some thing else) and finished items ready to use as is.

It is ironic that they are proudly announcing that they are burying houses another level deep,when they were already below, say, "windows".

The point being, once again, that no one consulted the sellers of houses to ask if they thought it would help ppl find their products to bury them another level down.  This helps buyers how?  To have to go down four levels to find a house?

Ask the customer, LL!  That is us!  Just run things by us before announcing some change -- you would be amazed at the insight we have into running a business in SL.

At this rate they might as well start making categories as specific as "Things That Look Like Eggs" or "Chuck Norris Fan Art". 

I think it is safe to assume that most of us are, as someone already mentioned, capable of clicking a general category and typing in a keyword. As the saying goes, less is more! 

I would just like to say thank you to the commerce team for adding a long-awaited fishing category to the marketplace. 

The Fish Hunt is one of the largest games on the grid and we're very happy that LL is taking care of the fishing community in general.

Candy Cerveau wrote:

I would suggest categories of Breedable Pets/Pets, Breedable Pets/Food and Boosters, and Breedable Pets/Accessories and Buildings. (or something similar) That way the categories are all inclusive, yet divided up enough that people can find what they are looking for quickly.

Seconded

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a category for Meeroo's, but then there should also be categories for all the other breedables too and the issue comes with where do you start? You can't possibly please every single person's category preferences or desires if they could have their way. There are lots of times I've thought to myself, "Ugh, I wish there was THIS category so I didn't have to search so much" but alas, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. 

I would like to see "Structures" moved out of "Building Components".  These items are finished builds, and are not "Components" at all.  It's annoying when searching for an item by keyword (e.g. "fan") and having to page through all the finished builds that have that keyword.  Sloppy.

There is also a bit of a mess in the Sculpties area.  You have 2 categories for Sculpties - Building Components -> Sculpted prims Creators Tools and Building Components -> Building Aids -> Sculpted Prims.  These need to be consolidated.

As for the Meeroos, you could have a category Breedable Pets -> Fantasy Animals which could include Meeroos without naming them as a brand.  Other "fantasy Creatures" like Dragons or Unicorns could go in there as well.

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

Thanks TCL, this kind of communication and involvement in the forms is much appreciated!

I think using a category instead of keywords is a good move, the clarification is all so helpful.  One suggestion on Banner Promotions, I realize that not every one is going to have items that fit into every promotion, but if we have more notice, then at least every one have the choice if they want to participate or not.  Often my items don't fit in to a promotion, but I find it fun to build new things that I normally wouldn't, all so I think this my make the promotions more interesting for shopper if more people have time to build new items specifically for the promotion instead of only moving existing items into the promotion.

Totally Agree. ^

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.