Next Marketplace Banner and New Categories

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Possible extra subcategory to Celebrations - Weddings.   I know lots of people get married in SL and when I did it was hard to find things for the Ceremony and Reception.  Also is there a way to make it so that items that we have on the market can be edited instead of blocked when there is a wrong category for the item?  Some of the categories changed and my items were put under the wrong category and now I can't fix them and I am being told my items are blocked. Will there be a fix for this?   Also the Nests from some breedables are giving an error when you try to load them to the market or is that because they aren't going to be allowed to be sold on the market anymore?  Just curious

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really wondering how LL went from "Oh we need a category just for meeroos!" to "Oh let's narrow it to only real pet species and completely disclude meeroos."

... what?

There's plenty of breedable pets that don't fit into any of the categories that your revised list includes.  Meeroos, among others, are 'fantasy' or 'other'.  Why not just have an 'other' or 'misc' breedable category?  Also, why is it livestock, reptiles and rodents aren't also breedable categories?  What if someone has a breedable bull, like what's coming out?  Do they categorize it in livestock or... where?

I hope you'll listen to what your community is trying to tell you as quickly/well as you did when people started voicing favoritism for meeroos.  It's good to see you guys actively listening and I hope it continues.  Perhaps get in touch with what's going on in your world a bit better though!

ITA.  IMO, they should have an Animal category, with animal subcategories. Perhaps using the species as categories.  this is where you would locate your domestic animals, farm animals, birds, fish, etc. 

Then, a completely different category for breedables.  I mean considering that not all breedables must be animals. I recall the success of the pet rock in rl for example, I'm sure there are other types of breedables.

Regardless, breedables are more like a hobby/business venture where they are sold, traded, etc.

Looking at the new categories for Structures, I like the idea of more categories, but I think they could be done with less layer, many of the new categories add a layer for just 2 choices, there is room just to list them all at one time in many cases.  

The main list of categories is one that doesn't have a lot of room to play with but there are a few changes there that I think would help.

Move "Everything Else" in to the "Miscellaneous " category.

The category for "XstreetXL" can go soon to make more room.

Combine Mainland and Private Islands in to a single land Category

Land

•                   Mainland Parcel sales
  •                   Mainland Rentals
  •                   Island Transfers
  •                   Full Island Rentals
  •                   Homestead Rentals
  •                   Island Parcel Residential Rentals
  •                   Island Parcel Commercial Rentals

That should make room to move Structures out of building component, and may be change the name to Finished Structures

Finished Structures

•               Commercial/Office Buildings
  •               Commercial/Bars & Restaurants
  •               Residential/Single Family Houses
  •               Residential/Multi Family Buildings
  •               Off Sim Builds
  •               Multi-purpose Structures
  •               Other Structures
  •               Photography Studios (102)
  •               Castles (3475)
  •               Lighthouses (394)
  •               Bridges/Docks/Walkways
  •               Gazebo (4465)

For residential houses I think that foot print size might be better then family size to split the category. 

Thought I'd throw this out there to get the ball rolling, just some quick ideas I had, I'm sure there's room for improvement.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Spica Inventor wrote:

I had always assumed that because LL was always pushing for Meeroos to such a large degree that Meeroos where actually created by LL.

Ok, I must be living under a rock.  What is a "Meeroo?"

Asking what is a Meeroo is like asking what is a prim.

Aristophanese wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Spica Inventor wrote:

I had always assumed that because LL was always pushing for Meeroos to such a large degree that Meeroos where actually created by LL.

Ok, I must be living under a rock.  What is a "Meeroo?"

Asking what is a Meeroo is like asking what is a prim.

Hardly.  Not everyone is into breedables or fantasy/mythical animals, which from what I've gathered, a Meero is.  Thank you for your helpful answer. ;)

Finished Structures is good but I would just split below into commercial and residential. I didn't personally see the benefit of having multi family or whatnot. For ages houses have been filed in the most illogical categories and I hope Commerce sees this and makes a small adjustment. It would make a lot of creators very happy and customers have a faster and simpler experience.

Charlotte Bartlett wrote:

Finished Structures is good but I would just split below into commercial and residential. I didn't personally see the benefit of having multi family or whatnot. For ages houses have been filed in the most illogical categories and I hope Commerce sees this and makes a small adjustment. It would make a lot of creators very happy and customers have a faster and simpler experience.

With houses I was thinking that this is a huge category with over 26,000 listings,  and I'm going to guess that most shopper looking for a house all ready have land and are looking for a house that will fit into the space they have.   Instead of categories for sizes may be a filter for foot pint size would be a more useful.

This is part of a comment I made on an other thread, I wanted to move it here because this thread seams to have more constructive comments and is all so being watched by the Lindens.

I think Masquerade is a great idea for a promotion in SL but to really make it work it needs to go beyond the marketplace, for starters add it to the destination guide for clubs hosting Masquerade Ball or party's during the promotion.  Even with the short 3 day notice this still could be pulled off just make the destination guide part happen the last week of the promotion assuming the promotion will run at lest a month long. That would be time enough for club owners to get ready and would give people a reason to go shop to dress up for the Masquerade balls and party's at the end of the promotion.   This would all so be good for sales as club owners would need to do some shopping to get their clubs ready for the events.  This would turn the promotion from a simple sale into an event where people would have a reason to want to shop, and have some thing to do in their new costumes. 

I luv this idea.  I think LL should really work hard on getting residents together, on the same page, when it comes to events in world. 

Would luv to see them promote the destination guide in a very very big way.  A place where all residents will go to see where everyone else is going etc. 

Can you imagine?  For example, all residents celebrating Carnival, New Orleans style.  Thoughout the grid. 

A Meeroo is a cute little enchanted fantasy creature that makes a cute little sound. They live in enchanted glowing places with glowing plants and crystals and such. I made some glowshrooms and put 'Meeroos' as a keyword for them as did a hundred other merchants it would seem. ;-) hehe

:matte-motes-impatient: uhhhhhhg adding new things when we need the bugs fixed( annoyed )  ......many merchants still have wrong pictures in there shops and others cant get there boxes to stop initializing and erroring ,bulk delete still doest work ...i cannot delete  ghosted listings with other people pictures on them still and your adding new categories?!!!! please oh please fix the issues first!...if your going to add new categories to MP please put all prefab houses homes building ect in there own category of PREFABS.... these are not building components or please make a content creation category for sculpt,s mesh, textures and clothing templates ,scripts and tools for building, these do not belong in with PREFAB buildings and homes.. still annoyed we are into the 3rd month with still showstopper bugs and messes in Marketplace due to direct delivery ...walks away in disgust

Spica Inventor wrote:

A Meeroo is a cute little enchanted fantasy creature that makes a cute little sound. They live in enchanted glowing places with glowing plants and crystals and such. I made some glowshrooms and put 'Meeroos' as a keyword for them as did a hundred other merchants it would seem. ;-) hehe

Thank you, Spica :)  It dawned on me I could have just looked them up in the MP - major DUH!  My brain tends to send immediate thoughts right out of my mouth without stopping to filter them sometimes.  On a forum it equates to: Reading all about the Meero category controversy -> Thought: I wonder what a Meero is? -> Immediately posting.  :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

The logic I imagine should best be used is that, at each categorical level, the number of marketplace items in each category should be close to the number in each other category. 

That is, if there are more than twice as many items in one category as there are in some other category on the same categorical level, probably two categories should be joined or one category should be split. 

Not that there's any way to make this work perfectly.

I just think that it's probably the kind of principle we're looking for in order to assess whether a change in category structure is probably a good idea or a bad idea. 

No?

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

This is part of a comment I made on an other thread, I wanted to move it here because this thread seams to have more constructive comments and is all so being watched by the Lindens.

I think Masquerade is a great idea for a promotion in SL but to really make it work it needs to go beyond the marketplace, for starters add it to the destination guide for clubs hosting Masquerade Ball or party's during the promotion.  Even with the short 3 day notice this still could be pulled off just make the destination guide part happen the last week of the promotion assuming the promotion will run at lest a month long. That would be time enough for club owners to get ready and would give people a reason to go shop to dress up for the Masquerade balls and party's at the end of the promotion.   This would all so be good for sales as club owners would need to do some shopping to get their clubs ready for the events.  This would turn the promotion from a simple sale into an event where people would have a reason to want to shop, and have some thing to do in their new costumes. 

Good point. Club and mall owners need a bone tossed their way too. 

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

This s a great idea, and even if LL doesn't pick up on it, there's nothing stopping people from holding a Masquerade on their own. 

Kyle Lebed wrote:

Wow - how nice. New categories.

Meanwhile countless "sales" are being made without the merchant being paid.

...faceplant...

Can someone confirm or deny that these sales where merchant is NOT paid are only occurring with the new DD system?

tia

Concur completely with La!

How bout just Structures (it's own top level category, not embedded under building components)?

Doesn't make sense you have sooo many levels for structures.

Shouldn't the fact that you are making all these levels for structures "clue you in" that structures should be a top-level cat in it's own right?

In this case I do not fault LL for trying to be proactive about the next promotion, in spite of everything that remains unfixed.

My reasons are:

1) Preparing a promotion is (or should be) a comparatively easy thing to do.

2) The time to start doing it is practically always sooner rather than later.

3) One way or another, the Mad Men promotion has to go, and the sooner the better. Replacing it with something is probably at least as good an idea as replacing it with nothing.

4) To show that LL can at least produce a proper promotion would go some way in regaining merchant confidence while technical fixes still aren't being provided. This could be considered a cheap gimmick if the promotion were badly administered, but, so far, there's no real sign of that. Some pretty important aspects of the promotion process are already different, and LL has already acted decisively in response to merchant input about the new promotion.

Yeah sooner they get rid of the Mad Men promotion the better anyway!

Only way they can mess up this Masquerade promotion is if they start randomly removing listings of everyone that uses feathers in their products, or something similarly random as saying psychadelic stuff not being 60s enough.

Don't want to guess which TV show 'Masquerade' is codeword for :catlol:

Linden Lab wrote:

Great ideas, all!

We have added a
to the destination guide. If you have an upcoming masquerade event, please
for review to be added!

Thank you!

Wow that was fast!  Thanks for considering our suggestions and participating in the forums.

I realize that this a new idea only a day or 2 old, so it would make sense to think about it for a bit before doing much more with it,  but I'd just wanted to point out that other then people watching this thread few people knows about it yet, some how the word needs to get out to club owners. 

Which brings up  good question how would you do that, other then sending out a message on the log in page, or some place like that where every one would see.  There's the upcoming events and activities forum but that's looks like just event listings not a place to discuss events ideas.  Considering the importance clubs, events, DJs and live music have to the appeal of SL, an Event Organizers forum similar to the merchants form would be great place to share ideas, ask for advice, and get info on new promotional events like the Masquerade, or other changes to the destination guide.

Thanks for update.  I hope there will be a near future revamp of many other catagoies also.  In my personal opinion, categories have always been messed up... especially for textures.  Textures should be a major category.  I think that most new customers will not think to look under building components for textures.  They will just type in the main search.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.