W T H ?????????

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, look at the picture. Can someone tell me what the hell is happening? The picture was taked by a friend and is not the only who see me like in this pic. Strange is , i can see myself ok. So WTF is with Second Life? 

i'm starting to hate it more and more!

Is not my shape, not my hair base and my feets anter under the ground

s.jpg

For whatever reason some peoples viewers will show u with a noob shape with the "hair hat" once in a while. it happens to me all the time, especially funny when its a guy, because is always a female form i see. Reloginging or a teleporting  fixes it

You're "Ruthed." That is, your avatar shape did not load properly on login, so the default avatar "Ruth," is instead showing.

A relog *should* fix it. If it persists, you can try (a) putting on a different shape file and then changeing back to your own, of (b) doing a character test (it's under the develop menu, under character, if memory serves) and then putting your avatar back together.

What happened is that other people see the version of "you" that's stored on the servers - they can't directly connect to your computer. Normally when you make a change your viewer sends that change back to the servers, which update the information and then send it out to other people. Sometimes the update from your viewer gets temporarily lost or the server doesn't get usable information so the server can't figure out what you're actually wearing and it sends out a default shape and hair to other people. When you relog or take various other steps to update the servers like "rebaking" or changing your active group that can clear out the defaults they're seeing.

That is a pretty version of Ruth. Vanila, you are lucky that you still see yourself with nice skin. Last week I was Ruthed with the original system skin- ie- all over flat baby-poo brown with pixelly freckles. (A quick relog fixed it.)

A quick way to reload the avatar shapes of those around you is to drop your draw distance to zero, then back up to whagever you had it at.

So if a friend sees you "ruthed" like that, they should try reloading your avatar that way. After all, if your avatar looks fine to you, but messed up to one other person, the problem might be on that person's end, not yours.

Of course, if multiple people see you incorrectly, then the problem is most likely on your end and a cache clearing follwed by a restart is probably your best option.

I really wish LL would add a "refresh environment" button to the UI that let people refresh nearby avatars in this manner. Until then, you need to open the debug window and type in "renderfarclip" to set your draw distance to 0, then manually put it back to whatver you were keeping your draw distance at.

Someone mentioned resetting your modem and router. I agree. This sounds like a connection issue in some ways. I would also suggest trying to plug in to the router if you're on wireless atm and see if it helps.

If the quality of your internet connection is not up to it, you may experience issues as well. Althoug that would probably mean you got logged out a lot as well as other in world issues. You can check this, however, at http://www.pingtest.net/

- Luc -

Phil Deakins wrote:

I never realised that Ruth was quite so pretty
:)

As far as I know, it's been years since I was Ruthed. I saw myself fine but others saw me with boobs - and a beard!

And here he is...

:matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Phil on a good day.jpg

This happened to me just yesterday. Though, for me, I saw a friend looking like that, but everything around us was fine, and noone else had a problem with how she looked o.O. Also, I saw her as wearing something she didn't even own... which neither of us can explain.

If none of the other solutions work, try having your friend update their graphics drivers. That's what I did. After that, perfect :D (You say others see you like that.. possibly their drivers are out of date, if it comes down to that working for your friend.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.