Beta Pathfinding is HERE!!!!

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think that the way they have done it will make most ignore it, I make a fighting dummy that is fast and can do all the things that the pathfinder system can do, I think that making it so only the elite can create with it will mean that most of the creative people will ignore it and find other solutions as I have done.

What makes you think it is only for the elite? Any1 can use pathfinding, at least as far as I know. Sure, it's better if you own the sim, as you can update the obstacles, but I don't think that is really required.

I have a bunch of different NPCs for my combat system, and they all will be using pathfinding. Yeah, some of what pathfinding does can be coded, which mine are now, but you can't do everything that the pathfinding can do. Not only that, but it takes a hell of alot more coding than pathfinding, to do it. The last thing you want to do as a creator is make something that cause any kind of measurable lag. Right now, I have a good 20 npcs roaming around my sim, plus I have a full store that covers half my sim, and my business partner has a huge script store. With pathfinding, I can easily have double or triple that with even less resources being used.

Do you really want to limit how many of your NPCs can fit on a sim? I'd think that instantly means lower sales.

I just don't want to lobotomize all my animals and put cookie cutter LindenBrains™ in there.

All things using pathfinding system will have the exact same behaviors.

Nice but homogenous.

If I want to play with a blackboxed generic AI system I can do that outside of SL. Can't say much more about it as I'm under LL NDA. Anyway, for me, it is boring as my interest is in the actual development of the AI and writing my own algorithms.

My passion is to develop my own systems from scratch & I will continue to do so.

@Czari,

Different departments.  It wouldn't be realistic to expect them to shut the whole company down to fix MP.  Note: I am not saying what they have done has been good enough.  For example, coming out with the marketing thing they did this week was more than annoying.  All I am saying is other departments will and should keep working on things.

edit to add @

WADE1 Jya wrote:

I just don't want to lobotomize all my animals and put cookie cutter LindenBrains™ in there.

All things using pathfinding system will have the exact same behaviors.

Nice but homogenous.

If I want to play with a blackboxed generic AI system I can do that outside of SL. Can't say much more about it as I'm under LL NDA. Anyway, for me, it is boring as my interest is in the actual development of the AI and writing my own algorithms.

My passion is to develop my own systems from scratch & I will continue to do so.

Sorry, but It is only cookie cutter if you make it that way. Code is just that, code. In the end it is all about how you configure that code. Pathfinding is all about pathfinding, which is only 1 piece of AI. Plus, you can decide when and where functions change, or where they go next. It is anything but cookie cutter. Maybe, if you just use the functions and nothing else.

Have you ever created AI on any other platform?

Pamela Galli wrote:

Trying to think what this is for. Could I, like have people in my kitchens cooking etc?

You could create non player characters that move about your kitchens. Maybe a virtual family.

Really tho, this is all about objects being able to move around, mostly animals and monsters and such. This is also awesome for a trains or a touring system to guide customers around you sim. There are other functions like pursue also, which allows you to have the object follow some1, or even run away from people.

Yes, I create AI privately (non-military use only) beyond LSL and SL environment. SL is just my playground :cattongue:

My newest work will be launching on other platforms this year.

Once again can't really say more at this time :matte-motes-zipped:

Code is language and language is more or less limited depending on the way it is constructed and the richness of its vocabulary. For example, 1984's Newspeak (fictional) is much more limited than English, because it was constructed from English and purposefully limited for narrow application.

Well, I've played with AI systems on 2 other platforms, which both had the best AI systems for their time, and few have surpassed them. Navigating the AI thru complex environment has always been an issue with AI. Past systems used complexed Waypoint systems. What LL did here, solves all of those issues in a very simple and easily understandable way.

Although I was also in the closed beta, I've only did some preliminary tests, which I'm very happy with and only see 1 issue that I will have to solve. Now, you and I are creating 2 very different types of npcs, so I wouldn't expect things to be the same for both of us. That said, coding the movements using LSL will give you issues, mostly ghosting. Well, i call it ghosting. This is where your npc goes flying off in 1 direction, for only a brief millisecond. I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing this is because of the script time that it takes to do all the functions it needs. Pathfinding doesn't have this issue. Plus, to code something in LSL that can navigate your npc out of a room with only 1 opening will require so much more coding than pathfinding, it is hardly worth doing. Essentially, you'd have to create your own waypoint system. Now, have a dozen or so npcs all having to navigate in this way. How about 30, or 50, all with all that coding.

I'm just saying, it's a big mistake not to use pathfinding for these things. Plus, I think you'd be limiting your sales. If there is 1 thing I've noticed as a business man, it's that when people love something, they will buy every single 1. If you make it so they can't rez every single 1, you will be limiting your sales.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Did any1 else summit a request for early adoption of pathfinding? I sent my request last week and I haven't heard anything back from LL.

I don't quite understand why LL makes announcements and then doesn't follow up on the requests.

Haven't applied, sorry.

In the meantime, please enjoy our Second Life Pic of the Day! It's the only thing we do reliably to put a smile on your face and get some love from your wallet.

Formerly known as Flickr Pic of the Day until Flickr got back to us and said "Do your own image hosting, LLeeches!".

Ugg, sniping again. At this rate if SecondLie really is going to retire soon, I'm going to start wearing a bag on my head and make a career of it. Will strive to be a poor imitation to match a degrading experience.

Pic of the Day annoys me, but only cause we do have our own pic system, which is in the profiles. I watch my profile all the time, and send all my customers there. The little social network there is pretty handy, and it's like it's own little community. People can post picks directly to their profile. If it gets votes, it makes it to the trending list. Yet LL has a competition for pic of the day thru Flicker. It doesn't make sense.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Pic of the Day annoys me, but only cause we do have our own pic system, which is in the profiles. I watch my profile all the time, and send all my customers there. The little social network there is pretty handy, and it's like it's own little community. People can post picks directly to their profile. If it gets votes, it makes it to the trending list.

It's handy when it works. Mine is stuck... and there is no support available to fix it. It one of the many bugs that sits on the jira to wait for a fix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.