What are you waiting for?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Singularity has several definitions so let me try this one: a point in our future (many times set at or around 2030 A.D.) beyond which overwhelming technology changes make reliable predictions impossible.

Although I think this to be a frightening world that many of us, as humans, will not understand, I wait for its arrival.

My question for the forum, if you care to participate, is what event or events in our humanity would you like to witness?
To help illustrate my question I provide a few examples:
- cold fusion
- conquering gravity
- traveling faster than light

I am waiting (to be alive at the time) for First Contact with an alien race. I want to know that we are not alone in this universe, and I would like to meet this new intelligent life.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a bio-matter resequencer/replicator like on star trek

will change the whole world more than any one thing i think

if can go to a machine and get anything you want off it any time you want, then will change how we view materialism

example: how many shoes do you need to keep in your closet? none. bc can wear and after put in the laundry and the machine gives back to you next time you want them. or another pair if you want and they will be a perfect fit every time

can seem wasteful this like processing wise. is not really tho when you think about it. bc all the material that is currently just sitting in your closet now will be being used to make other things for other people as and when they need them. will end up using less natural resources

jejeejejeje (:

grey goo. never thought of that lol

+

hope whoever make the replicator replicators goo likes corn. is traditional for them to get corn

i would like chikken please machine. and get corn

i would like fries with my chikken and get corn. coke? sry! corn

k then i would like corn please? sry we all out of corn. is lots of people having corn today.would you like chikken?

ooo! yes pls

corn again 

I believe our biggest achievement in the next 200 years will be transhumanism. WIth the ability to transfer our human consciousness into a machine, we can in effect. become immortal.

We will be masters of our own intellectual evolution with the ability to enhance and expand our intelligence through technology. We will be able to download our consciousness into avatars such as robots and spacecraft or even genetically grown human bodies or a host of other life-forms. I'll be ordering a T-rex avatar as soon as they hit the market.

Transhumanism is essential in our quest to explore the universe. Human bodies evolved to survive on Earth. To get a living human to another planet in another solar system is a stupid idea in my opinion. Numerous technologies would need to be developed just to protect the human body on the journey and more technologies would need to be developed to allow the human body to land and survivie on the new planet. Allot of wasted development there just to protect a human body that was never "designed" to leave the planet Earth. 

Sending a living human to a planet in another solar system is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Why should we bother? It will be much easier to just make ourselves (the peg), round. 

Most likely I believe we will store our consciousness/intelligence in central hubs on spaceships, and then travel to another planet. Upon arrival we will then download our consciousness into a newly created artificial avatar ideally suited to the conditions that exist on the planet.

I don't think that the singularity is anwhere near .. it might come and the overall technological progress is going on and does not show any signs of slowing down. And with predictions about the future being hard to make it is difficult to say what might be developed and even more difficult to see how it will influence human society.

However the world is still full of fanatism, greed, death and abuse both of other humans and the enviroment. Short term gains are still often seen as being better then the well being of other people or the generations that will follow us ... Injustice, tyranny and a growing gap between the rich and the poor have as much a influence on humanity as the technological development and they will shape the world after the singularity event as well if not solved before it appears.And I am not sure that the result will be something we will like to see.

The technological singualrity (however I would pint out, that the past shows that even the technological development of the next 5 or 10 years could not have be predicted) can not be disconnected from the social development and while I would very much love to see all those great theoretical achievments to be made, I can not stop thinking about the kind of humanity that is given those tools into their hands.

Will they use it to better the life of everyone and cooperation or will it continue like it has in the past decades and centuries?

And since I have used a quote form Issac Asimov (I think) in a recent discussion about a somehow related topic, I think I do it agian here since it would be appropirate:

"Science gathers Knowledge faster then society gathers wisdom"

PudgyPaddy wrote:

The
Singularity
has several definitions so let me try this one:
a point in our future (many times set at or around 2030 A.D.) beyond which overwhelming technology changes make reliable predictions impossible.

Although I think this to be a frightening world that many of us, as humans, will not understand, I wait for its arrival.

My question for the forum, if you care to participate, is what event or events in our humanity would you like to witness?

To help illustrate my question I provide a few examples:

- cold fusion

- conquering gravity

- traveling faster than light

I am waiting (to be alive at the time) for 
First Contact
with an alien race. I want to know that we are not alone in this universe, and I would like to meet this new intelligent life.

Hubris is the only sin the Gods never forgive.

The only "singularity" in store for Homo is population collapse consequent to the mass extinction of species & destruction of ecosystems.

Jeanne

Rin Tae wrote:

The technological singualrity (however I would pint out, that the past shows that even the technological development of the next 5 or 10 years could not have be predicted) can not be disconnected from the social development and while I would very much love to see all those great theoretical achievments to be made, I can not stop thinking about the kind of humanity that is given those tools into their hands.

Will they use it to better the life of everyone and cooperation or will it continue like it has in the past decades and centuries?

at the moment human society is about labour i think

to make stuff like food, clothing and shelter then we currently need people to work to do it

while is a need for people to labour to make these things then will always be social problems. if remove the need for human labour and have machines do it instead then society will change quite fundamentally

+

access to stuff that can be made by the machines will then be determined by availability of materials and space for shelter

like Bree said above even tho was a joke. if can make a machine that can make a copy of itself out of bio-materials that it can mine itself then can solve the materials and space problem by going to the stars. like send a machine to make the shelter and then people can go there

Luschious Nightfire wrote:

I'm waiting for the abolition of wealth/money/currency

Humans are too stupid to institute a sane, communal society. That fact is drvien home by the vehement opposition to even having a sane society within SL, by all the capitalists & marketeers who defend LL's toy economy so vigorously. SL will be killed by its greed-based economy & humans will drive themselves extinct with capitalism, before sanity & equality prevails. That's just the kinduv stupid ape we are, i guess ...

Jeanne

I'm inclined to agree. The human race will continue to grow exponentially and inevitably destroy the planet. We've passed the tipping point on so many levels that pro-longed sustainability is no longer even possible for Humans on Earth. Our only chance for long term survival as a species is to advance our technology as quickly as possible, then leave the planet en masse.

JeanneAnne wrote:

Humans are too stupid to institute a sane, communal society. That fact is drvien home by the vehement opposition to even having a sane society within SL, by all the capitalists & marketeers who defend LL's toy economy so vigorously. SL will be killed by its greed-based economy & humans will drive themselves extinct with capitalism, before sanity & equality prevails. That's just the kinduv stupid ape we are, i guess ...

Jeanne

Yap yap yap... more communist BS nonsense.  At least you're consistent.

...Dres

Porky Gorky wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. The
 human race will continue to grow exponentially and inevitably destroy the planet. We've passed the tipping point on so many levels that pro-longed sustainability is no longer even possible for Humans on Earth. Our only chance for long term survival as a species is to advance our technology as quickly as possible, then leave the planet en masse.

Humans will never colonize even this solar system, leta lone any others. The distances are too vast, it takes too long to get anywhere even @ near light speed, the cold vacuum is too harsh & even minor problems prove fatal in space. Dream on.

Humans wont "destroy the planet" either. Only a really major et bolide impact would do that, one bigger than tore loose the moon. Baring that, the Ocean Planet wont be destroyed until Sol exhausts sufficient H2 to become a red giant & expand His circumference beyond the orbit of Mars, which wont happen for several billion yrs.

What will happen instead is that unprecidented famine & population collapse will ensue along w/ the depletion of reduced carbon resources that fuel industrial scale agriculture. Accompanying population collapse will be the mass extinction of species & collapse of ecosystems worldwide, to the extent that biogeochemical cycling dymanics are disrupted & uncoupled, resulting in a failure of negative feedbacks networks by which the biosphere regulates itself. A megadeath pulse that will rival the end-Permian is ongoing.

All this is the result of capitalism: the psychopathic abberation that places individual greed above consideration of the common good. All of you on this forum who applaud capitalism, even if only in SL's toy economy, contribute not only to the demise of yourself & your own species ~which is probably a good thing~ but to the ruination of a nice little garden planet's biosphere. If you embraced capitalist sociopathy willingly and of a free mind you would be evil. But few if any of you do so. Your mental illness is the result of your uncritical acceptance of the programming you have been subjected to thruout your lives, by your schooling & media bombardment & the very cultural atmosphere of your greed-crazed culture & times. Inviting you to "Undo Your Minds" is a waste of time, hence an end-Permian scale extinction pulse is inevitable.

Jeanne

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

PudgyPaddy wrote:

what event or events in our humanity would you like to witness?

Someone who can actually get me off,
then go away quietly.

I thought the best part of gay sex was afterward rolling over and talking football. 

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

You wanna give us an ETA on that so we can start a betting pool?

LeeHere Absent wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

What's the point? My bet is that Homo will be extinct w/in 200 years. Since i know that you & i will be extinct by then, how will i collect the bet?

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

LeeHere Absent wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

What's the point? My bet is that
Homo
will be extinct w/in 200 years. Since i
know
that you & i will be extinct by then, how will i collect the bet?

Jeanne

I was referring to your prediction about the death of Second Life in your post that I quoted.  You don't think that will happen in our lifetimes?  As for the point, you have already referenced one - potential monetary gain.  Another might be fun.

LeeHere Absent wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

LeeHere Absent wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

Homo
know

Jeanne

I was referring to your prediction about the death of Second Life in your post that I quoted.  You don't think that will happen in our lifetimes?  As for the point, you have already referenced one - potential monetary gain.  Another might be fun.

Oh .. i don't know if SL will die anytime soon or not, so have no opinion on it. I think that SL deserves to either die or be wrested from the control of LL .. but i have no expectations of LL giving up their cash cow w/out a fite. I'd like to see open sims or some user controlled virtual world supercede SL but its difficult for other worlds to gain traction. SL is huge because it was 1st .. ppl have hearduv SL .. are familiar w/ it .. have friends in SL ..... So SL may persist a long time simply on inertia .. not because it deserves to .. Who knows ??

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

LeeHere Absent wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

LeeHere Absent wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Jeanne

Homo
know

Jeanne

Oh .. i don't know if SL will die anytime soon or not, so have no opinion on it. I think that SL deserves to either die or be wrested from the control of LL .. but i have no expectations of LL giving up their cash cow w/out a fite. I'd like to see open sims or some user controlled virtual world supercede SL but its difficult for other worlds to gain traction. SL is huge because it was 1st .. ppl have hearduv SL .. are familiar w/ it .. have friends in SL ..... So SL may persist a long time simply on inertia .. not because it deserves to .. Who knows ??

Jeanne

Perhaps I misunderstood when you said, " SL will be killed by its greed-based economy."  

Sorry everybody.  All bets are off.

Interesting question. :)

What do I hope will exist in the future?

1. A female President of the U.S.

2. Time travel

3. No more war

4. No more illness (so we will have to colonize other planets as with 3 & 4 no one will die it will be like that episode of Star Trek

5. Everyone gets along

6. Oh you meant technology? That seems more possible doesn't it? Especially more possible than 1 and 5? OK...

7. Instant painless non intrusive diagnostics for medicine (such as a painless skin scraping into a small device)

8. Treatment of the skin cells in that small device reinject it into the person and it replicates making healthy cells in the body curing all illnesses in the body - pretty much within a few minutes if not faster

9. Women can have a baby any age just like men can  ;)

10. Solar (and wind) energy becomes smaller and cheaper than any other means, so it's on every car, building, home, anything using fuel for heat and cooling today. Insane, that it isn't already 

11. Certain things that come from hemp to be made legal everywhere, and all the toxic prescription drugs be illegal and then, Big Pharma pay for the people it killed or maimed with those

12. People to eat less beef and the extra grain and water goes to starving people

13. Crimes against women and children, and sexual crimes, to carry much more severe penalties, and no parole. Also those crimes to get much more attention (from law enforcement), I'm so sick of reading them in the news. Such as rape kits sitting for decades unprocessed?? Or the latest woman kidnapped, raped and killed? Beyond sick of it.

14. Equal rights for all under the law, that includes gay marriage.

15. People to stop trying to change or denigrate other people's religions and just respect beliefs instead, this includes forbidding kids from praying in schools, and removal of mention of God, or Nativity scenes in public places, as well as people saying rude things to anyone about their beliefs, whatever they are.

That's all I can think of for now...that is a window into my bent little mind and a vision of my idea of Utopia. Which can't exist...in this world anyway...in my opinion. Because people are flawed but those flaws make us human.

You did say we could wish for anything. :)

Oh and...someone to teach me in world how to paint 3D on sculpts or avatar, and use Blender, and make mesh. And I think that will happen only after all the above have happened.  ;) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.