Basic avatar improvements

Luci Koenkamp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why hasn´t LL done anything to improve our avatars? I´ve been a member since 2004 (with a break) and NOTHING, except for the possiblity to ad a physics layer, has changed since then. Don´t you think it´s time for some improvements? Personally, I really would like some toes on my avatars´ feet and the shoulders are a far cry from reality ... not to mention the view when some one bends over :)

What is your opinion on this topic and what do you think should be changed or improved? Any ideas on how we can give LL a push to start working on this?

Hi, you are not alone on this topic. Especially the furrys would love to have more "bones".

And yes the feet are awkward and i´m still not used to that foot-attachments. I find it somewhat scary to wear feet.

Now that SL won´t run on older PCs anymore it could be a chance to update the avatars. Btw, the graphics got updated with shadows reflectoins ....

So, while im fully with, i doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Monti

Are you a Linden in disguise?

You´re completely off topic Sir, my questions was: why is LL not doing something to improve the basic avatar mesh? What you are proposing to do is possible for "maybe" 1% of the SL population and I´m not one of those 1%.

Dora Gustafson wrote:

You should read this thread:

It is about improvements made to the existing mesh by someone who is not a Linden

They work with any viewer by substituting some character files

Oh cool, an improvement of the avatar mesh. But only you (and everyone who uses this) will see it - since this is done on viewer side. I don't like the idea of improvements that only few can see, but in this case - a small improvement for the individual, just keep it in mind when you plan to change your shape.

More improvments like fingers and toes or changes to the body require a new bone structure for the avatar and that will be incompatible to all animations. If there are not so big changes - automatic conversions should be possible - but that depends on the changes.

However - if Lindens ever make improvements for the avatar, everyone needs to upgarde the viewer since this stuff is handled viewer sided.

I don't think LL want to upgrade the default avatars, because they would already have done it. It's been several threads about this, and it's been made Jiras. Over years! They don't use SL for leisure and does not play dressup with their avatars. It is only one Linden who looks good and fashionable, and my guess is that he don't have much to say.

Import of mesh is well and good, but that will render your exsisting inventory of clothes useless. You can not use any clothing layers, makeup tattoos, hairbases or alpha layers. You can not wear mesh clothes with a mesh body, unless it's made for it. Since alphas don't work, you will need a 100% fit.  I have some mesh avatars, and if they are made in parts, it is possible to make it work with a few clothes, especially full prim clothes that are modifiable. You will need to take off the feet just to wear shoes.

LL does not think like this, because they don't understand how users like me  think. I want to be able to wear a shirt from one creator over a tank top from another one with pants from a third one. I don't want to have an avatar that can use just 2-3 sets of clothes from the same creator. To make this possible, a new and better avatar that can use layers and alphas is necessary. But will I get it? Probably not.

Marianne Little wrote:

I don't think LL want to upgrade the default avatars, because they would already have done it. It's been several threads about this, and it's been made Jiras. Over years! They don't use SL for leisure and does not play dressup with their avatars. It is only one Linden who looks good and fashionable, and my guess is that he don't have much to say.

Import of mesh is well and good, but that will render your exsisting inventory of clothes 
useless.
You can not use any clothing layers, makeup tattoos, hairbases or alpha layers. You can not wear mesh clothes with a mesh body, unless it's made for it. Since alphas don't work, you will need a 100% fit.  I have some mesh avatars, and if they are made in parts, it is possible to make it work with a few clothes, especially full prim clothes that are modifiable. You will need to take off the feet just to wear shoes.

LL does not think like this, because they don't understand how users like me  think. I want to be able to wear a shirt from one creator over a tank top from another one with pants from a third one. I don't want to have an avatar that can use just 2-3 sets of clothes from the same creator. To make this possible, a new and better avatar that can use layers and alphas is necessary. But will I get it? Probably not.

i'm hoping the new generation of lindens will start thinking  like this..Rodvik and OZ and Smarmy and the others seem much different than lindens from before..

i'm hoping that they are just waiting for mesh to really become more of the norm in the market and maybe will improve the avatar mesh when it won't be such a shock to the system..

hoping anyways hehehe

Nova Convair wrote:

Dora Gustafson wrote:

You should read this thread:

It is about improvements made to the existing mesh by someone who is not a Linden

They work with any viewer by substituting some character files

Oh cool, an improvement of the avatar mesh. But only you (and everyone who uses this) will see it - since this is done on viewer side. I don't like the idea of improvements that only few can see, but in this case - a small improvement for the individual, just keep it in mind when you plan to change your shape.

You are right it is on the viewer side.

The avatar mesh in use will ALWAYS be on the viewer side, because it is the viewer that renders the avatar

What it takes to have everybody use the improvements is to make them a part of the viewer and for that we need some Linden to take action

What the perceived resistance to Avatar 2.0 by LL is ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_2.0 ) remains a great mystery.  Especially when there have been Residents who have offered to volunteer work on the project.

I could of course see sellers of prim feet and hands and now avatar meshes resisting this.

Why do I need to employ what right now is essentially a hack (using an avatar mesh) to improve my Avatar's appearance? 

The problem should be fixed both server and client side.

Luci Koenkamp wrote:

Why hasn´t LL done anything to improve our avatars? I´ve been a member since 2004 (with a break) and NOTHING, except for the possiblity to ad a physics layer, has changed since then. Don´t you think it´s time for some improvements? Personally, I really would like some toes on my avatars´ feet and the shoulders are a far cry from reality ... not to mention the view when some one bends over
:)

What is your opinion on this topic and what do you think should be changed or improved? Any ideas on how we can give LL a push to start working on this?

Avatars need to move more realistically, using keyboard controls or joysticks or even some sortuv AR control devices. Having just 4 key movements (6 flying) is inadequate, and so is having to rely on AOs, gestures, poseballs, etc. There needs to be key commands for moving limbs, etc., & they need to be natural, intuitive, ergonomic, realistic & simple.

I agree that LL has no interest in improving the newbie avvies. They want you to buy shapes & skins & outfits & stuff, cuz whoever you buy them from, the money eventually ends up in their pockets. As for feet, I hate the ugly default feet & have a pair of coyote bare feet that are much nicer.

I use the Firestorm beta 2.5.2 version because with it, my fps falls somewhere between 20 & 45, depending on how many other avatars, scripted objects, etc., are in the vicinity. I have the mesh enabled Firestorm v4.something but seldom use it because with it, my fps falls to around 7 and it looks like avvies are dancing under strobe lights. Mesh enabled viewers are more processor intensive & don't work well on older computers. Would be nice to buy a newer machine, wouldn't it? so that we could all appreciate the 'wonders' of mesh. Ain't going to happen anytime soon. So mesh just sets up another obstacle to enjoying SL for many.

SL is a cartoon that isn't supposed to look 'real.' As certain helpers or advisors are fond of telling me whenever I complain about the deficiencies of SL, if you want things to look more real, press ctrl Q & go outdoors.

Jeanne

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i would think that so much being made with the current templates that a lof of content would become useless..

unless there is a way to change it without messing all that stuff up..

Wouldn't they still fit as long as all the main reference points of the avatar mesh remained the same, even if the mesh was divided into more polygons?  I don't know, not being an expert, but thinking of how templates work when I use them, it seems to me they might still work if the mesh is tweaked.

SL is a cartoon that isn't supposed to look 'real.' As certain helpers or advisors are fond of telling me whenever I complain about the deficiencies of SL, if you want things to look more real, press ctrl Q & go outdoors.

Jeanne

Yes, but I'm sure most people would like to see greater realism as time goes by.  On the other hand there's no point in making super-real avatars if their realism is much greater than that of the surroundings.

The avatar mesh needs more vertices at some places - that would kick out the present textures (skins/clothes). Changes to the bones would kick out the animations.

There may be ways/conversions to make that less painful though.

An avatar 2.0 needs a new viewer version and all residents are forced to use an updated viewer.

I can imagine that Lindens don't want to do an update here just so. :)

I basically agree that we could use an updated avatar, but also that using custom meshes is pretty unoptimal, especially on the point that you cant wear standard clothes on them.. But I was thinking maybe they could just add some more sliders in the shape customization window, for instance regarding the shoulders :o would something like that be completely impossible I wonder?

I would love to be able to move the eye socket up or down, move the nose up or down, shorten the nose, add dimples on the cheeks, add a furrow between the eyebrows, add crow's feet around the eyes, just for a start! 

I'd love if the polygons were more plentiful on the top of the male's arms and on the female's bosoms. Both of those areas are way too pointy and the male upper arms are difficult to reshape. 

I'd love if a truly flat chest were possible instead of deflated boobs.

I'd love if the avatars had fingers that moved independently and if they had actual toes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.