Alteran Stargate Network (ASN) Shut Down

Crim Mip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In case any of you who still used this network of jumpgates haven't yet heard, the offworld server the system depended on was taken offline permenently today. It had gotten more and more unstable and buggy and the ones running it simply didn't have time for it any longer. It was fun for the short time I had to play with it. I know there are many who used it for far longer.

• Like 1

Aries Hausdorff wrote:

OOops! Those things had a specific function?

I saw them in many places through the years, but thought they're just decorative elements!

Yes, one could dial any other stargate and it would do an animated sequence similar to what appeared on the series. You could then click the liquid effect center and get a main map tp link to the other gate or if you had an RLV relay on, you could actually walk through and be teleported. There was a random dial function as well which would connect up to a random gate and you'd go through and explore. It was rather humorous in some cases as people occasionally set them up and didn't think about total strangers showing up (say in a private bedroom.) You could lock out that effect and there a number of third party addons made for them. Oh yeah, they were free so anyone could set one up if they wanted. I hope somebody comes up with a replacement. They were fun.

Actually, the cooling system of the servers failed and they lost all the data... With the backups... Also stored on them, Ash Qin and a the others just gave up now, but don't fear, Vala Avro (from Vk labs) Nuup Bergan and myself are onto something :P

Visit us in Aozora sometimes, we have a nice Stargate Command build in the works there

• 8 years later...

ASN is has been back up for some time. Go to Subnova for a free gate pack. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eternal Calm/128/146/3105

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DbyC-ASN-Gate-SL-Experience-Auto-Teleporter/17488069 is the experience add on for it. 

Popular Location names for dial:  Egypt / SGC / Atlantis / Midway. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Prohibition/217/225/22  to see both ASN  and Novatech stargates (novatech stargate is set for locations on our sim and Bellisseria homes and spots - ASN is grid wide. Our are experienced enhanced. NOTE the milkway Novatech texturing is custom at our location)

Edited by Kavarek
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Well, we know how the rules are treated around here.

I thought the moderators had been clear they wouldn't lock threads after any time period so people can add information to them if relevant, despite numerous suggestions to lock threads after a period of time.

The other claim this is self promotion seems on the face of it stretching it a bit, in the other post they have said both gates can be seen in operation at their place... that seems like stretching it on self promotion, an aside at the end of a post trying to correct wrong information in the forum database of posts.

Is it self promotion to say that I use an NLS system and that it can be seen in operation on some of my public parcels?

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Is it self promotion to say that I use an NLS system and that it can be seen in operation on some of my public parcels?

Yes.

3521285f-53ee-4ab8-af92-c8339d3f7716_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I thought the moderators had been clear they wouldn't lock threads after any time period so people can add information to them if relevant, despite numerous suggestions to lock threads after a period of time.

The other claim this is self promotion seems on the face of it stretching it a bit, in the other post they have said both gates can be seen in operation at their place... that seems like stretching it on self promotion, an aside at the end of a post trying to correct wrong information in the forum database of posts.

I'm not allowed to clarify further.

On 2/23/2023 at 2:10 AM, Aethelwine said:

When this thread was reincarnated, it caused it to appear in the feed as if it was new information and to have a thread title that is the literal opposite of the truth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:57 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I reported it lastnight,  they tend to get locked after that, but no go this time

There is a reason. Due to drama of a few . I got on the phone LL this morning with the posts (ask to conenct via chat to submit it). Specified I was updating information that was not correct and where the current version can be gotten (as old do not work).

Showing the issues and drama that happened, and asked if the focus could be the updated correct information with out needing to create another new post-so when it is searched the already existing would contain updated information- then lock it.

That was done on the other. 

I do not own or promote FREE gates. I do not own Novatech but more recently have tried them out as an option. . 

I do however use both with others trying to reestablish shared roleplay and use that enjoy them. 

I provide an update without needing to create another post to read separately.

For those who search for ASN or stargate - the working replacements can be gotten at this place free. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eternal Calm/128/146/3105

Other gate owners often have signs to get one as well. 

I hope the updated information helps people, and sorry for the negativity that tries to fill in unneeded gaps.

On 2/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, Theresa Tennyson said:

When this thread was reincarnated, it caused it to appear in the feed as if it was new information and to have a thread title that is the literal opposite of the truth

Not only that, but it's clear now we're allowed to bump irrelevant and out of date threads in order to advertise our stuff on the forums, I guess.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.