Community Manager

Check out the Place Pages Beta!

[ Edited ]

Hello Residents!

We are officially launching a limited Beta for a new feature called Place Pages. This forum post will be used to get feedback from beta participants and other Residents to better help us with feature development and product tweaks. Take a look at some of our sample Place Pages:

Winter Wonderland

For beta participants, feel free to post your pages here as well!

We’re very excited about this project and look forward to hearing about what you think of it! Like all things prelaunch, if you encounter bugs or have suggestions on how to make it better, file a JIRA.

Thanks and enjoy!

Topics: 151

Re: Check out the Place Pages Beta!

Reply to Linden Lab - view message

Great idea, another superb addition to SL that I hope will eventually allow us to stop using Facebook and google groups.

Bring on the calendar and perhaps combine this all with our my-sl pages as well.

So many possibilities but even as "just" a page, already something I rather like.

Anyway, about bugs, when I click your link to the JIRA I get an error;

Not Found (404)

/secure%5D

Could not find what you were looking for. Maybe you should raise an issue.

Enjoy Time Travel?
Visit Time Portal the Time Travel sim!
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Time%20Portal/128/128/1932
Topics: 0
Blog Posts: 0

Reply to Jo Yardley - view message

Topics: 17

This is all it is and the page just keeps loading and loading it does not go any further..

eternally loading.png

Topics: 0
Blog Posts: 0

Reply to LadyPetunias Audion - view message

Does the page not load after you confirm you are over 18?  It's working ok for me after confirming.

Topics: 151

Reply to LadyPetunias Audion - view message

It sometimes takes a while to load, maybe lots of people are checking it out at the same time or maybe the server still needs warming up and extra coal on the fire.

When it takes to long I just refresh the page or click the 18+ button a few times

Enjoy Time Travel?
Visit Time Portal the Time Travel sim!
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Time%20Portal/128/128/1932
Topics: 17

Reply to Whirly Fizzle - view message

Yep it is just in eternal loading page stage

Something like this has been needed for quite a while, particularly since the old Facebook integration is no longer relevant. We've always needed place listings that were less restrictive than the word count and in-world appearance for place listings. Something like this should help flesh out the exploration experience quite a bit.

Some initial thoughts:

- I see that Place Pages show up only for parcels which are marked to show in search, however marking a region as 'Block Land Show in Search' locks off ALL avatars from changing this setting, rather than only those who are NOT Region Managers and/or Estate Managers/Owners. More granular settings in this regard are required. As the owner of a residential sim, I'd like to be able to publicize the region but prevent tenants from inadvertently setting place settings (or inheriting them from previous tenants' settings). 

- Is there a reason why place descriptions is limited to 250 characters? Being able to include more flavour and info prior to visiting may be helpful, particularly if there are rules or guidelines for visiting. 

- An optional field to include Marketplace links would be helpful for those who are browsing, want to know a bit about the store and want to shop but not able to log in right away. 

- How will Places Pages be integrated (if at all) with Landmarks? 

I'll also second the call for some means of listing upcoming events related to specific parcels. 

Additionally, it looks like the placeholder secondary image does not go away if no secondary image is specified. Is there a way of hiding it? And on the flipside, is there any way of offering more than three secondary images if I want to make use of the Places Page as an intermediary slideshow for services/products offered?