What is this "Experiences" thing?

Arthur Reece

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

I use it for easy teleporting. I have a fake door in my home on the ground, just walking through it sends me instantly to my skybox at 4000M. It's absolutely awesome for that sort of thing. No touching, no sitting, just walk through a door.

Av Sitter uses it to auto attach things like newspapers and coffee cups to your hand and the Lab are about to add a forced sit, like RLV has had for a decade. There is also a Key/Value database there that scripters can use.

It's awesome for teleporting and the AvSitter attach. You do need a premium account to write your own, but I recommend everyone adds the AvSitter experience by Code Violet.

I'll give you the TL: DR answer.

There are things you do NOT want scripts to do to your avatar without permission. But, in a game (experience) the repeated requests by individual objects becomes highly annoying. The "Experiences" idea is a way to grant permissions to a group of scripts and avoid the repeated requests. Also, you can revoke ALL the permisions for a given experience with one click.

As exciting as it is to be able to use llTeleportAgent and to get permissions for all sorts of actions with a single click, I think the most valuable feature of Experiences is the KVP (Key-Value Pair) functionality.  KVP gives us a way to have reliable, permanent data storage, accessible from anywhere within the Experience.  Instead of worrying about soft data in scripts disappearing when we reset a script, we can simply save the data to a Key and retrieve them (or update them) later through the dataserver.  We can also use it to send information anywhere within the Experience with much less trouble than using HTTP or e-mail.

14 minutes ago, Cranston Yordstorm said:

Do experiences work if you're seated?  I have a train that I'd like to have a text prompt as someone passes through a certain point, and I wonder if an experience is the way to go?

You might look here also

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/299-experience-tools-forum/

2 hours ago, Cranston Yordstorm said:

Do experiences work if you're seated?  I have a train that I'd like to have a text prompt as someone passes through a certain point, and I wonder if an experience is the way to go?

Again, you don't need an experience for that.

You can just use llSay to announce stations. llWhisper for smaller vehicles, so as not to annoy neighbors.

You can pop up a dialog, but that's annoying, because the user has to dismiss the dialog.

A more elegant solution would be to make up a proper subway roll sign.

1*3Qbp83gfE-JS_s_sphdivA.png

It's been a long time since I rode the Lexington Avenue Local.

Make up a single image which contains all the station texts, and have a script adjust its offset to change the sign.

There are signs available on Marketplace which allow you to set the text, but they lag badly, because they have to load too much image content.

17 minutes ago, animats said:

Again, you don't need an experience for that.

You can just use llSay to announce stations. llWhisper for smaller vehicles, so as not to annoy neighbors.

You can pop up a dialog, but that's annoying, because the user has to dismiss the dialog.

A more elegant solution would be to make up a proper subway roll sign.

1*3Qbp83gfE-JS_s_sphdivA.png

It's been a long time since I rode the Lexington Avenue Local.

Make up a single image which contains all the station texts, and have a script adjust its offset to change the sign.

There are signs available on Marketplace which allow you to set the text, but they lag badly, because they have to load too much image content.

Again?  This is my first post in the forum.  The train is not my creation so I don't a lot of creative control over it, plus they are the smaller narrow gauge trains from Valkyrie Transit, so I'm not sure where I'd put your suggestion.

Although, while I appreciate your suggestion ... it isn't an answer to the question, so I'll ask again.

Do experiences work if you're seated?  If I am seated on an SL vehicle can experiences be triggered?

10 hours ago, Cranston Yordstorm said:

Do experiences work if you're seated?  If I am seated on an SL vehicle can experiences be triggered?

Of course they do. Experiences are just a permission mangement system with an extensive key-value mechanism for storing and manipulating data in SL servers -- something that we used to have to do by sending data to off-world servers.  A scripter with access to an Experience can use it in any place where it is enabled. As you can see in the LSL wiki, 

This request [llRequestExperiencePermissions] is similar to llRequestPermissions with all the following permissions: PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS, PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION, PERMISSION_ATTACH, PERMISSION_TRACK_CAMERA, PERMISSION_CONTROL_CAMERA and PERMISSION_TELEPORT. However, unlike llRequestPermissions, the decision to allow or block the request is persistent and applies to all scripts using the experience grid-wide.

So, any action that normally requires those specific run time permissions can also be triggered in an Experience.  There are some permissions (most specifically, PERMISSION DEBIT) which cannot be granted through an Experience, and there are several new functions that can only be triggered in an Experience (like llSitOnLink and -- in most cases -- llTeleportAgent ).

As Animats pointed out, however, you don't need an Experience to do what you are asking about.  Unfortunately, if you are working on a train that someone else has scripted, you may not be able to modify the train scripts to do it easily -- or at all.  What Animats is suggesting, however, is essentially a message system that you could build into a set of waypoint prims that the train triggers as it passes.  It doesn't need to be in the train at all.  Try riding the tram down the main road in Bay City, for example, to see how it announces stops.

Edited by Rolig Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.