ATTENTION! Listings on the Marketplace are borked. Everyone check your stores!

Pearl Vollmar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably sound asleep by now but .. sweet dreams Pearl.

I doubt this will be resolved when you wake up though. They've announced another Maintenance Downtime for tomorrow at 9:30am SLT (West coast USA time) and I'm sure you'll be back before then. But at least they are putting this as their top priority.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Hey!  I get to play too.  After reading angel6's post and that she had not changed over from the Magic Box, I ran over to my listings.  Oh the joy!  Wrong prices on items (my convertible futon sells for 100L, but the listing for an entire Japanese room is now 85L - gah, no wonder I sold one the other day...lol.

(*snip*)

Customers must think we've gone mad!!!!

Ticket and jira time and I must say - we are not amused!!!!

Czari, double-check the transaction for that Japanese room sale ... check it in the SL Transaction History report. I'm betting the money you received is correct. It may be the customer saw that really low price and just didn't pay attention when they went to check out. (In which case you probably have a REALLY pissed off customer that's just chosen not to say anything about the apparent "Bait and Switch" scam.)

According to what I'm reading from CTL, this is a problem with "Search" .. meaning the routine that searches the entire product database and returns only your items. It seems to be that it's getting garbage data (the database pointers to the product listing, the product images, etc.). However when the customer goes to checkout, it's no longer using Search Results, it's using the direct product record ..  and those pointers contain correct data.

However .. and let me say this loud and clear ...

This error leads to a very real potential of Customers feeling as though they've been scammed. When they purchase a product based on a borked up listing, they expect to receive the product they purchased (most likely based on the product image they see or at least the borked up description).

I do hope they fix this first thing in the morning as it can get REALLY ugly. Not just on the present time "happening today" front, but on the Merchant reputation, future sales and overall trust in the Marketplace.

Personally, if it was my team doing this dev effort ... they'd still be there fixing this .. and I'd be either perched in front of my computer helping out, or on a nearby chair staring at them until it works. You just DO NOT leave a bork of this magnitude sitting overnight ... Real Life or not. The Devs at LL get real-life paychecks, payment for real life work. But they are not done with that Real Life work until this error goes away.

Bah .. if only I ran the world. LOL

Attention All!

If your listings have been hit and any one of them is showing the wrong price, pic, description, etc. I need you to do some testing please.

Place one of the affected items into your Shopping Cart then proceed to Checkout. Stop at the Purchase Details screen where it shows you the contents of your cart and lists all the items within. Double-check that the Item Name shown is correct then double-check that the price being charged is the CORRECT Price for that product and not the borked up price shown on the equally borked up listing.

In the detail list, click on the Item Name; this should open the Product Listing again. Check to see if 1) you see a fully correct and accurate product listing .. or the same borked up listing.

I am asking for this test to determine if the problem truly is JUST with Search Results (the search it performs to pull up a complete list of all your products when you view your Store) or if the error continues on through the entire checkout process.

Based on CTL's statement that the error is just in Search then you should see the correct listing from the Shopping Cart and the price shown in the Shopping Cart details should be correct. If you are still seeing borked up values then the problem is not just for Search and is a real BAD database error.

Thank you for running the test. Please post back here with the results of your testing.

It appears to be impossible to buy a messed up listing (at least at this moment)...I have a lot of them and we're doing tests - nobody can buy them..transaction won't go through.

One thing I noticed...all the messed up listings were listed long ago. When I sort by recent items the messed up listings aren't encountered for many pages.

Luna Bliss wrote:

It appears to be impossible to buy a messed up listing (at least at this moment)...I have a lot of them and we're doing tests - nobody can buy them..transaction won't go through. 

One thing I noticed...all the messed up listings were listed long ago. When I sort by recent items the messed up listings aren't encountered for many pages.

Are they listings that were migrated from the old XStreet SL .. when MP took over?

All of my listings are either new or have been seriosly edited since the Great Migration. It if's just migrated items, that would be an interesting turn of events.

Hey Darrius!  I checked the transaction history you pointed to as well as the MP transaction history.  In this respect I have to blush.  I checked historical records and for some oddball reason that apparently made sense to me at the time I did price the Japanese room at 85L.  It was meant to be sold at a 30% discount from purchasing each item separately so I will have to address that when I'm not as tired.  Fortunately all my sales transactions synch up properly and I was paid for each.

One of the items that had the incorrect item name/designer has now completely disappeared from my listings, while the X-rated one is still there along with another.

Re: your comment of "The Devs at LL get real-life paychecks, payment for real life work," that made me think of something Oz Linden said in this interview with Jessica Lyon from Phoenix re: the new TPV policy:

http://treet.tv/shows/specials/episodes/firestorm-07mar12

At one point, to explain/justify why LL can't just let TPV devs do what they want he said (paraphrased) - SL *IS* the business; it is what allows us to feed our families, send them to school, etc. (again, paraphrased)  I am willing to bet there are many SL merchants to whom this *IS* their business as well and possibly pays for food, etc.  I wonder what the reaction would be at the 'Lab if something borked badly to the point it affected THEIR wallets, hmmm?  Actually, if this whole DD thing isn't resolved like yesterday AND an apology to the Marketplace merchants issued, this very well may affect some LL employee paychecks.  Or they'll just let go 1/3 of their staff like they did a year or so ago.

Luna Bliss wrote:

Thanks for the hint about most of them being older items... i sorted mine by date and have now found 2 items that point to someone else's products.  When I go to the listing, I can put the item in the cart and it is the other merchant's item (didn't try to buy it, was too expensive^^).. the link and item description/price are all this other product, only the pictures are mine. 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Re: your comment of "The Devs at LL get real-life paychecks, payment for real life work," that made me think of something Oz Linden said in this interview with Jessica Lyon from Phoenix re: the new TPV policy:

At one point, to explain/justify why LL can't just let TPV devs do what they want he said (paraphrased) - SL *IS* the business; it is what allows us to feed our families, send them to school, etc. (again, paraphrased)  I am willing to bet there are many SL merchants to whom this *IS* their business as well and possibly pays for food, etc.  I wonder what the reaction would be at the 'Lab if something borked badly to the point it affected THEIR wallets, hmmm?  Actually, if this whole DD thing isn't resolved like yesterday AND an apology to the Marketplace merchants issued, this very well may affect some LL employee paychecks.  Or they'll just let go 1/3 of their staff like they did a year or so ago.

I know of several that depend on the money they get from SL for their livelihood .. or a bloody good portion of it anyway. For me it's basically cigarette money, but since they totally screwed over In-World Search, that market dried up totally. It's no longer of concern to most people because .. hardly anyone uses it anymore.

If the customers come to distrust Marketplace, the same will happen here too; folks will stop using it and there just isn't any "room" in the market for another virtual sales website that serves SL. (I know because I was working for one of them when LL bought up XStreet SL .. and our business, meager as it was, died almost immediately thereafter.)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

n CTL's statement that the error is just in Search then you should see the correct listing from the Shopping Cart and the price shown in the Shopping Cart details should be correct. If you are still seeing borked up values then the problem is not just for Search and is a real BAD database error.

Thank you for running the test. Please post back here with the results of your testing.

still terrible, imagining that they saw and decided to buy items with incorrect listing, but found a total different result in the chart.

Sera Lok wrote:

Thanks for the hint about most of them being older items... i sorted mine by date and have now found 2 items that point to an OD Designs guitar.  When I go to the listing, I can put the item in the cart and it is the other merchant's item (didn't try to buy it, was too expensive^^).. the link and item description/price are all this other product, only the pictures are mine. 

Ahhh .. really?! So they are not even pulling the correct Product ID? When you go to that borked up listing, what is the number shown in the URL .. at the end? That's your Product ID. If they're getting that wrong too .. holy mackerel!

>some hints would be ok, I'm afraid the list is long and will waste your time...

The quickest thing would probably be just to skim all the threads to which I've contributed so far.

There's some choice stuff in August and September. 

After that, I guess Malefactor Linden was too busy trying to get DD to almost work that he never much upgraded his box borking system, at least until 14 February when I guess he was able to squeeze something in after LL decided DD was done being prepared to deploy. 

Me again :)  Checking my messed up listings by putting them in shopping cart as you suggested.

*One of the borked listings no longer appears in the MP.

*Clicking on my now X-rated description item takes me to the main MP home page, complete with "Bonfire Bear."

However, for this borked listing:

MP4.jpg

...that has the wrong item name, price, and designer - after taking it through the shopping cart procedure I get this which replicates all the incorrect info:

MP Checkout.jpg

EDIT TO ADD: I just checked and my items that are borked are showing up as "Unassociated Listings" - interesting.

Josh Susanto wrote:

>
some hints would be ok, I'm afraid the list is long and will waste your time...

The quickest thing would probably be just to skim all the threads to which I've contributed so far.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOL! good hint!

There's some choice stuff in August and September. 

After that, I guess Malefactor Linden was too busy trying to get DD to almost work that he never much upgraded his box borking system, at least until 14 February when I guess he was able to squeeze something in after LL decided DD was done being prepared to deploy. 

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Sera Lok wrote:

Thanks for the hint about most of them being older items... i sorted mine by date and have now found 2 items that point to an OD Designs guitar.  When I go to the listing, I can put the item in the cart and it is the other merchant's item (didn't try to buy it, was too expensive^^).. the link and item description/price are all this other product, only the pictures are mine. 

Ahhh .. really?! So they are not even pulling the correct Product ID? When you go to that borked up listing, what is the number shown in the URL .. at the end? That's your Product ID. If they're getting that wrong too .. holy mackerel!

I don't know if the product ID is theirs or mine :/ I will have to look further.

Take a look:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Dean-Razorback-Electric-Guitar-21/1405957

MINE: Pictures, Related Items

THEIRS: Item Title, Description, Price, Perms, Store Link

And to make it more interesting:

General maturity level: Building Components » Textures » Industrial and Urban Textures

I went to the other merchant's storefront and none of their items are in that category.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.