Nudity in profile pictures?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a policy on nudity in profile pictures?  I'm asking because I'm getting spammed by some network of objects advertising land all of a sudden, and in the course of muting the people responsible, I opened a profile and suddenly there's a picture of a nude woman on my screen.  Ugh.  I don't even have adult locations enabled in the viewer... but apparently people still post nude photos in plain view in their profile pictures?

Anything that is not PG on a profile can be ARd.

Edited to add - I was sure it was written somewhere in the ToS about profile contents, but I am unable to find it currently.  However, as profiles are accessible, like these forums, and the my.secondlife feeds by minors, all content, unless adult-restricted areas, must be PG. 

Marigold Devin wrote:

Anything that is not PG on a profile can be ARd.

Edited to add - I was sure it was written somewhere in the ToS about profile contents, but I am unable to find it currently.  However, as profiles are accessible, like these forums, and the my.secondlife feeds by minors, all content, unless adult-restricted areas, must be PG. 

it's in the official KB at the bottom of the page

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ#What_about_profiles.3F

What about profiles?

Content in profiles must be General, and must obey the Terms of Service and Community Standards.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Well done for finding that, Ceka. I just couldn't see it when I looked for it earlier.

it took some time for me also..you would think they would make these things a little easier..

i looked under profile rating and got nothing..

you would think it would have showed up under that at least but it didn't..i bet it took a good hour to find..not that i was really doing anything..

i was interested myself ..because with all the changes to profiles and the ability to limit people to certain things on them..i wanted to see if they may have changed  it to where we could maybe set a rating on them..

i know they get rated on search..which to me doesn't even make sense if they have to be general only LOL

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i know they get rated on search..which to me doesn't even make sense if they have to be general only LOL

Isn't it sick that our society thinks that there is something offensive about the appearance of the human body?

I presume that nudity in this context means showing genitals, anus, or female nipples.  Would a profile pic which was a frontal  view of me covering my nipples and genitalia with my hands be rated G?  If not why, not?  What if I got a skin with no nipples and no genitalia?  Would it be acceptable to use a frontal view of it without clothing as a profile pic?  If not, why not?  I would not be showing anything that is normally required to be covered.  Children are commonly allowed to play with nude dolls having the same lack of anatomic realism, and no one thinks anything about it.  What's the difference?

Couldn't help asking!  /me grins

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Isn't it sick that our society thinks that there is something offensive about the appearance of the human body?

I presume that nudity in this context means showing genitals, anus, 
or 
female nipples
.  Would a profile pic which was a frontal  view of me covering my nipples and genitalia with my hands be rated G?  If not why, not?  What if I got a skin with no nipples and no genitalia?  Would it be acceptable to use a frontal view of it without clothing as a profile pic?  If not, why not?  I would not be showing anything that is normally required to be covered.  Children are commonly allowed to play with nude dolls having the same lack of anatomic realism, and no one thinks anything about it.  What's the difference?

You are assuming the OP means a naked avatar.  However, RL pictures can be uploaded and inserted into the profile.  

Ivanova Shostakovich wrote:

I think profiles can be viewed by anyone, regardless of their age and/or age verification. That must be why profiles must be general.

If a profile is rated M or A, it will only show in search if you have M or A options ticked.

If you click someone to view their profile and you're not rated for that, I'm not sure what will happen.

To search for a profile on the web, it has to be listed as G. People listed as M or A won't show.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ivanova Shostakovich wrote:

I think profiles can be viewed by anyone, regardless of their age and/or age verification. That must be why profiles must be general.

If a profile is rated M or A, it will only show in search if you have M or A options ticked.

If you click someone to view their profile and you're not rated for that, I'm not sure what will happen.

To search for a profile on the web, it has to be listed as G. People listed as M or A won't show.

oh this is interesting..

so if they have a profile that would be rated M or A on the inworld search.. their web profile that we get from the current viewer won't show  up at all? since they are web based?

or is that only from outside the viewer from say firefox that they won't show up and we will see them when using the viewer??

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Well done for finding that, Ceka. I just couldn't see it when I looked for it earlier.

it took some time for me also..you would think they would make these things a little easier..

you would think it would have showed up under that at least but it didn't..i bet it took a good hour to find..not that i was really doing anything..

i was interested myself ..because with all the changes to profiles and the ability to limit people to certain things on them..i wanted to see if they may have changed  it to where we could maybe set a rating on them..

Aye, you would things could be made easier. It doesn't help that there seem to be different versions of the Wiki/KB knocking around. I'd gone via the Knowledge Base tab above, and read all of this

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Profiles/ta-p/1101055

But it was way past my bedtime, and my left eye had gone on ahead of the rest of me !:matte-motes-asleep:

These forums, though, provide a great opportunity for doing research and learning more and more of how SL ticks, and what goes on.  Probably why forums are so addictive.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I presume that nudity in this context means showing genitals, anus, 
or 
female nipples
.  Would a profile pic which was a frontal  view of me covering my nipples and genitalia with my hands be rated G?  If not why, not?  What if I got a skin with no nipples and no genitalia?  Would it be acceptable to use a frontal view of it without clothing as a profile pic?  If not, why not?  I would not be showing anything that is normally required to be covered.  Children are commonly allowed to play with nude dolls having the same lack of anatomic realism, and no one thinks anything about it.  What's the difference?

It's all about context.  I mean, if you or I were out shopping in a mall, we might be a little bit shocked that someone were walking about totally nude. It's coming face to face with the unexpected. Time and place and all that.

If the OP, as the 10 year old av she roleplays as, is not geared up to open a profile that has nudity on it, especially as it may not have been as straightforward as looking at a photo of a naked avatar - which, to my mind, is just like a doll - then I believe she has a reason to ask the question about how profile content is rated.

I opened a profile via my.secondlife.com a couple of days ago, and nearly swallowed my tongue, because I wasn't prepared for the photos I saw. Hardcore, group, homosexual, real life images.  And there was nothing beautiful about that to me - although undoubtedly to the owner of that particular profile, and his peer group, it was nothing short of viewing paradise.

Potatoes, potahtoes.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Aye, you would things could be made easier. It doesn't help that there seem to be different versions of the Wiki/KB knocking around. I'd gone via the Knowledge Base tab above, and read all of this

But it was way past my bedtime, and my left eye had gone on ahead of the rest of me !:matte-motes-asleep:

These forums, though, provide a great opportunity for doing research and learning more and more of how SL ticks, and what goes on.  Probably why forums are so addictive.

ya one thing to look for with the KB is the official icon where LL have their seal of approval on it..

it's that cube at the top ..this one..

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/File:Ll_color_vert_100.gif

if that's not there then it is from the users and most won't acknowledge it as much more than user opinions.

so i look for that before i even start reading the kb anymore if i am looking for official LL stuffs hehehe

it helps to save some time even though they still hide them well lol

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

ya one thing to look for with the KB is the official icon where LL have their seal of approval on it..

it's that cube at the top ..this one..

if that's not there then it is from the users and most won't acknowledge it as much more than user opinions.

so i look for that before i even start reading the kb anymore if i am looking for official LL stuffs hehehe

it helps to save some time even though they still hide them well lol

Ooooooh my head hurts

Marigold Devin wrote:

I opened a profile via my.secondlife.com a couple of days ago, and nearly swallowed my tongue, because I wasn't prepared for the photos I saw. Hardcore, group, homosexual, real life images.  And there was nothing beautiful about that to me - although undoubtedly to the owner of that particular profile, and his peer group, it was nothing short of viewing paradise.

Potatoes, potahtoes.

Damn, how did I miss that?  Lol.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Potatoes, potahtoes.

Damn, how did I miss that?  Lol.

...Dres

Ya see, you missed your perfect view of paradise. Meanwhile, me being right off men in any shape or form, there just wasn't enough eye bleach. (tongue firmly in cheek)

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

one thing to look for with the KB is the official icon where LL have their seal of approval on it

/me jumps back in to promote old thread & nit pick a little:

Question #6 was "What document says content in profiles must be “General?"

(now me is sad cuz dat reminds me someone not here to debate with)

[nit pick start]

Anyways - we all have to agree to the TOS (plus 17 other documents included in section 14.)  At the end of the TOS is this statement:

"Any other communications or Content made available by Linden Lab on the Service is not part of this Agreement and should not be relied upon as such, or consulted for contractual purposes, but rather is provided to assist and enhance the user experience in Second Life."

Now the FAQ containing the 'profiles must be General' line is not one of the TOS+17.  So while it's "Official" it's not to be relied upon and so forth.

[nit pick end]

Now while I don't wish to split hairs over your nit-picking, certain debates with certain people were never debates at all, just tip taps and no solidly worthwhile outcome.

just above that is a link to the maturity ratings which are included in areas under the tos agreement..

in the maturity ratings you come past a link that says this..

For more information on what qualifies as adult content, see Adult Content FAQ.

at the bottom of that page you will find this..

What about profiles?

Content in profiles must be General, and must obey the Terms of Service and Community Standards.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

just above that is a link to the maturity ratings which are included in areas under the tos agreement..

in the maturity ratings you come past a link that says this..

For more information on what qualifies as adult content, see

at the bottom of that page you will find this..

What about profiles?

Content in profiles
must be
General
, and must obey the
and

Okay, I think you're agreeing with me but just in case I'll argue a little.

Yes, Maturity Ratings is one of the 17 included by reference items.  It becomes part of the agreement.  The FAQ it offers is more information on what qualifies as Adult.  It is is not part of the agreement and should not be relied upon as such, or consulted for contractual purposes, but rather is provided to assist and enhance the user experience in Second Life. 

If the FAQ was in fact included in the TOS then the line itself becomes a bizarre bit of circular finger pointing.  The TOS includes the Community Standards by reference in section 14.  So clearly anything that comes under the TOS also comes under the Community Standards.  The standard that profiles must be General comes from the TOS not the FAQ.  The FAQ is there to assist and enhance the user experience by explaining some of the implications of the TOS.  It is not there to add additional terms to the TOS.

OMG, WTF, TOS? It annoys me to always have to RTFM, and then it all contradicts anyway, and makes me want to Foxtrot Oscar out the door!!!

And it's all subjective it would seem.

Discuss.

(Probably not with me, because I have jelly for a brain)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.