Resizer scripts in clothing attachments?

Annie Melson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What are your thoughts of using resizer scripts in clothing attachments? I kind of like them because it makes fitting so much easier, but I've heard so many who dislike them. I don't currently use them in my clothing designs but since I like the ease of them I am considering using them. What are your thoughts on them?

I prefer modify permissions, myself. A resizer script just adds one more script to my total count - one that's usually unnecessary. It's much easier for me to manually resize, in most cases. One major exception to this, though, is attachments with many small pieces. Shoes aren't a big deal for me, since usually resizing the shoe as a whole works fine. I love belts with resizer scripts, though. They're pretty much the only attachment I actually want a resizer script in, except maybe some jewelry. So far, the best resizer script I've seen (and used) was in a belt. It allowed for general resizing of the object as a whole, but also resizing on each individual axis - how tall it was, how wide, and how deep. This was incredibly helpful, since there were several prims to resize/adjust and you can't stretch the whole object on one axis only in the edit menu; you have to stretch each individual prim for that, which is a pain for objects with several small prims.

I hate it after buying several items and avoid them like the plague no matter how good they look!

I have several jackets wich look awsom, buy after fidling an hour just to fit 1, i haven`t bother to do the rest.
No mod = no buy

Tho made the mistake 2 days ago with a neat looking outfit, after using the script, a lase snapped back to original size hiding in the cuff and ofcourse no way to get it back into position/scale where it was, just dumped it in my "dump" folder to most likely never see the light again or another linden to the creator as no mod simply doesn`t works.... 

I don't see the objection to adding a single script resizer (like this one or this one, for example -- both free and OS), with the facility to delete itself after use, to a modifiable item, as a convenience.

But please don't add them and then make the item no-mod.   Almost invariably, when I need to modify prim clothes, hair or accessories, at least, I find I need not simply to resize the whole linkset but to make small adjustments to the rotation or position of individual prims in the linkset.   And, not infrequently, even if I do just want to resize the whole object down, I find I can't because individual prims are too small.   If the object is modifiable, I can easily remedy the problem by script, but if it's no-mod I'm stuck.

Short version: nothing wrong with resizers, so long as you can easily remove them and so long as they are in modifiable objects.   Otherwise, no thanks.

I`ll add an example:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/K-CODE-ROCKn-STYLE3/2307334

This jacket is script resizable and ontop of that it is mod *cheer*
As said, with mod you can align all the different parts exactly to your avi as non are the same
Rotation, moving vs other prim parts, stretch only to one side alter the repeat slightly as an align freak
Also grabbing another color of the jacket and it`s easilly aligned by just taking each part size/rotation/attachement value from a pre-fitted jacket to the new jacket, 5 minutes vs an hour messing around and it still doesn`t fits like the first version... 

No mod stuff like belts for example, the tiny lil buttons can`t be resized smaller then 1 step, while the belt is still the size of a moon butt, so into the trash it goes 

I personally don't like resizer scripts because they only make the item larger or smaller all over and sometimes to fit property a piece has to be made smaller or larger in only one direction.  I am very picky about the fit of my clothes and my avi is proportionally smaller in the hips and breast that the 'average' avi as well as being smaller over all, so I have to modify most clothing.   I can mod things using the building tools much faster than using a resize script.

I realize however that not everyone can mod things with only edit tools and resize scripts can be useful to those people.  If you use a resizer, please make it the one script kind that can be deleted and either also make the clothing modifiable or include a non scripted modifiable copy in the package.

I prefer mod not resizer in most things, apart from belts & jewelry. A while ago I bought a maternity blouse..it looked sooper pretty, but when I tried to use the resize script it just ballooned..and left the natty bow at the bust area behind,embedded forever in my bosoms.

Such a shame and consigned to trash, all for the want of being modify. Oh, and I did leave a review on the market place, saying that I really loved the item, but couldnt use it because of the above issue. They contacted me asking me to explain..so I did all over again...then they asked me for more information...but after two attempts to explain quite fully..I kinda gave up :matte-motes-yawn:

i personally like re-size scripts if i make something to wear i'll put a re-size script in and leave it with modify perms. when i buy something and it has no re-size script but is modify and needs making bigger to fit i'll chuck in a re-size script providing it's 2+ prims adjust the size via script then adjust the position in edit mode if needed when i'm finished i just delete the script i can usually get a great fit that way

There's still too many myths going around in peoples heads... no-mod making an object harder to copy etc.pp. I've run into a few such arguments, and never bothered to point out just how easy it is to copy almost anything (scripts being one exception) in SL without using any special viewer.

About the only viable reason for no-mod I've seen is customers messing up royally and not having a copy of the object (for example because it was bought trans, so it could be gifted in person).

It's a very rare day when I buy no-mod items.

Resizer scripts can be good or bad. Most are just flat out bad with one script in all prims. I still see a lot of people with 100+ scripts on them. Gives me a chuckle when these same people then complain about crashing on every TP/sim crossing.

If a resizer script does nothing more than resize, it's pretty worthless.  After all, so long as the object has mod perms, any fool can resize it with the Build/Edit tool by just grabbing one of the white boxes and yanking.  If the item is no mod, you probably don't want to buy it.  The real trick is reshaping and repositioning. There aren't many resizer scripts that let you do that, and most are necessarily custom-designed for the particular item. 

I agree with you.  Resizer scrpts can be a convenience, but I will never buy another no-mod prim attachment again, for the reasons you state.

I'll also reiterate:  I wish creators would not make prims so small that it interferes with adjusting sizes.  It's never essential to make it 0,01 instead of 0.02 m.

Annie Melson wrote:

What are your thoughts of using resizer scripts in clothing attachments? I kind of like them because it makes fitting so much easier, but I've heard so many who dislike them. I don't currently use them in my clothing designs but since I like the ease of them I am considering using them. What are your thoughts on them?

By all means put it in and leave the item modify.  No Mod = No Purchase for me too.

There are some who believe that it makes the item impossible to copy.  Wrong.

There are some who believe that adding a no mod resizer means that they have to make the object no mod too.  Wrong.

Thank you for all of the feedback on this! I think I'll just stick to leaving the attachments Mod then. One issue that does pose a problem however is that when small prims are used with the attachments making the prim not size down far enough for some, there's not too much I can do about that.... Belts require small pieces, as well as detailed shirt cuffs, or jacket collars, etc. Without these small pieces the prim attachments fail to look like quality, no matter how good the textures are.... However, I wonder if using unrigged mesh pieces for the attached parts (they are just like sculpties) if that would resolve that problem?

I have few issues with a script being added to an item which is modify, that helps and I can remove it if I wish.  The issue is them being used as an excuse to make an item no mod.

For small prims there are solutions, one of them is to use sculpts which are created as nano sculpts such that they can scale down a lot more than you'd ever need.  It can be harder with regular prims and not all sculpts are made in this way either.  I agree it is annoying, especially if you've bought a builders kit where the sculpt size is still too big at its smallest size.

In this case what you can do is still build your item and then do as Innula suggested to resize the object yourself such that it will go smaller than most would ever wanted, then box it up and sell it.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.