Viewer 3 (V3)

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I did have a look at the V2 once in a while but I never changed my attitude about it. After the first time, I decided that I would never use it until it was forced on us - and, apart from having an occasional look, I never have.

Yesterday, I wanted to edit a mega-prim because I didn't have the size I wanted. So I downloaded LL's V3 to do it with, and I have to say that it is a world apart from the V2 - or from the earlier V2 versions, at least - I didn't keep on checking. So much so that I could be perfectly happy with it. Well, almost perfectly. They still haven't got the camera controls anywhere near to being useful, but I'm happy with everything else. The V2 used up far too much screen space for sidebars and such (it wasn't designed with actual use of SL in mind), but the V3's use of screen space is minimal for that sort of thing - less than the V1, and that's saying something. It seems that LL have been listening to mass opinion and, without actually admitting to having made a mistake (they rarely do that), have quietly changed back. I think it may be time for me to change from Phoenix to Firestorm.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I did have a look at the V2 once in a while but I never changed my attitude about it. After the first time, I decided that I would never use it until it was forced on us - and, apart from having an occasional look, I never have.

Yesterday, I wanted to edit a mega-prim because I didn't have the size I wanted. So I downloaded LL's V3 to do it with, and I have to say that it is a world apart from the V2 - or from the earlier V2 versions, at least - so much so that I could be perfectly happy with it. Well, almost perfectly. They still haven't got the camera controls anywhere near to being useful, but I'm happy with everything else. The V2 used up far too much screen space for sidebars and such (it wasn't designed with actual use of SL in mind), but the V3's use of screen space is minimal for that sort of thing - less than the V1, and that's saying something. It seems that LL have been listening to mass opinion and, without actually admitting to having made a mistake (they rarely do that), quietly changing back. I think it may be time for me to change from Phoenix to Firestorm.

well i don't think firestorm has a version of the new viewer yet..

are you saying you downloaded the latest LL viewer?

the firestorm viewer is still phoenixes version of the v2 viewer..it's a nice viewer..i was using it all the time..

then i seen the beta of this new viewer..and even going from firestorm to this new viewer i felt my screens room grow..

i can't wait for TPV's to start working on thise version..

they are going to have some nice features  added i am sure =)

I was in a similar position. Prior to V 3.2, I never saw a V2 version that I could bear to use without extensive XML mods, like the Starlight skins, or extensive rewrites, like Firestorm.

I am now using 3.2 as my main Viewer, and have finally uninstalled 1.23.5, and only use Firestorm occasionally. I may return to Firestorm on their next iteration, after they add the new stuff that V3.2 added. But for now, I'm relatively happy with V 3.2.1.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yes, it's LL's V3 viewer that I got. I'm very impressed with it.

I thought that Firestorm might do prims up to 64m, which is why I thought I might change to it - since Phoenix has some very useful extras that are bound to be Firestorm.

oh.yes i think you can make the 64m prims in there..

i really never thought about that  lol..i used to just get so used to typing in the numbers  that i forgot about seeing if it would go to 64m lol

but ya now that you mention it ..i believe it does..

they are going to be releasing a better version sometime soon..they mentioned on their site that the last version was kind of rushed because of the demand for an FS mesh version..

i went to the LL version and have liked it so much just for the room that i really haven't been in anything else since..

i can't wait for them to put out even a pre alph of this version of the LL viewer from the FS devs =)

Canoro Philipp wrote:

the next release of Firestorm is going to be the final version, maybe they are taking their time to release it with v3 interface.

Rodvik has been fixing everything that was wrong in the viewer, im sure camera controls are in the list of things to fix, we will just have to wait for its turn.

ok that would be so

=)

If they'd come out with a design with these design features, instead of that ridiculous V2, people on the whole would have raved about it, imo. It would have been a *huge* success.

Probably the thing I like most about it is the way the buttons work. All the buttons (Build, Inventory, Map, etc.) can be removed, and any of them can be placed on the left, right, and bottom sides. It's completely user-choice. Brilliant! I don't have many buttons on show, and what I do have are along the bottom.

One thing I did discover is that the Address and Favorites bars, that display in one line right across the top, can be reduced to a mini-address bar without the favorites, that extends only halfway along the top. But with the mini bar, you actually see less of the SL landscape. You see more of the landscape with the full Address and Favorites bars showing right across the top. So there's no point at all in choosing to display only the mini Address bar.

Some time ago, someone posted a screenshot of Firestorm for me, showing its improved cam controls over the V2. It was an improvement, but not a big enough improvement for me. I suspect that they are improved in the V3 but nowhere near enough. Still, the V3's benefits outweigh the need for me to get used using keypresses instead of cam controls - I think :)

I'm logged in with Phoenix at the moment, but I intent to use the V3 as my normal viewer, and get used to things like new IMs being indicated in the top right corner - stuff like that.

Phil Deakins wrote:

They still haven't got the camera controls anywhere near to being useful, but I'm happy with everything else.

I'm not sure how the debug settings work in V3, I haven't tried it yet. 

And I'd love to give credit to whoever recommended these settings (It may have been Penny), but personally I love them.  You can tweak them to your personal preference.

In Debug Settings:

focusoffsetrearView:  

x= .9 y=.2  z =.6  

z controls up and down

cameraoffsetrearview:

x= -3.7  y= -0.2  z=  -0.05    

x controls zoom   z controls angle

Cheers, Perrie, but that's not what I meant by "camera controls".

The controls I mean are the ones that you can display on screen - with 2 discs that you press on to move the camera's view in various directions. In the V1s, they were small and translucent when they didn't have the focus, so they never got in the way. In the V2 they were relatively huge, black, and never translucent, so they were simply in the way if you have them permanently on-screen as many people do - me included.

It has bulk upload, or at least it's in the uploads options.

I've never seen an "align textures" anywhere and I'd guess that copy rotation, position and size are Phoenix extras? (Don't answer that. I have seen them - just never even tried to use them. And there are a couple of "aligns" in the Phoenix's Textures tab but I've no idea what they do).

I know that the so-called radar is a Phoenix extra, and I do find it useful.

Come to think of it, copy UUID is a Phoenix extra that I also find useful. So I guess I'll continue with Phoenix for now and just use the V3 for editing mega-prims.

Phil Deakins wrote:

It has bulk upload, or at least it's in the uploads options.

I've never seen an "align textures" anywhere and I'd guess that copy rotation, position and size are Phoenix extras? (Don't answer that. I have seen them - just never even tried to use them. And there are a couple of "aligns" in the Phoenix's Textures tab but I've no idea what they do).

I know that the so-called radar is a Phoenix extra, and I do find it useful.

Come to think of it, copy UUID is a Phoenix extra that I also find useful. So I guess I'll continue with Phoenix for now and just use the V3 for editing mega-prims.

You can use Phoenix to edit/create mega prims too. It's a setting under preferences-phoenix-build, there's a checkbox that "allows 64m prims". Phoenix is the only viewer I've used, for some time now and the option for 64m prims has been there for quite some time too(even though previously they weren't supported by LL).

I use mega prims a lot, so having that option is pretty important for me :)

Eloise Baily wrote:

I'm using Firestorm Mesh Beta and it gives you the option to use the V3 interface. I decided to try it so I could help the newbies but actually, I quite like it.

Not sure where you are seeing the similarities Eloise.  I've been using FS with V3 interface and its visible screen UI bears little resemblance to the V3 as now released.  Unless you mean what's hidden in the top menus...?

Pamela Galli wrote:

There is no Align Textures, . No radar. 

I aligned the textures on a little sign I made just last night. Its a checkbox right there on the texture window under the choice between planar or default.

And I use the radar all the time to see who's nearby. Hit the people button, then the nearby tab.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.