Display names and user account names in the SAME field in transaction history

Sassy Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

>One really needs to wonder when you see LL Commerce and Development teams making such a design decision mistake that I.T. students could tell you makes no sense.

But is might make perfect sense.

You would just need to start from a different set of assumptions about what is intended to be accomplished by it.

>I see no indication yet that anyone at LL has noticed the problem.

Because it's not a problem; it's a solution.

Too much transparency was a problem because it made too many of the wrong data trails too easy for you to follow, and they would eventually have lead to something someone doesn't want you to see.

OK... looks like I'm basically up to speed.

Now... where's ralph?

Isn't it time for him to tell us that freebies are destroying SL?

• Resident

Thanks to all of you who alerted us to this issue. We will be rolling back the change that resulted in this bug by the end of the day today (SLT).

For those of you concerned about your transaction data being incorrect after the roll back: the transaction data is all there, but when the report is downloaded, Display Name and Username fields are being combined. Once the roll back is done, the reports will no longer combine the Display Name and Username fields into the same column.

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

Thanks to all of you who alerted us to this issue. We will be rolling back the change that resulted in this bug by the end of the day today (SLT).

For those of you concerned about your transaction data being incorrect after the roll back: the transaction data is all there, but when the report is downloaded, Display Name and Username fields are being combined. Once the roll back is done, the reports will no longer combine the Display Name and Username fields into the same column.

As I mentioned on the JIRA about this error, I must insist that the data retrieved for yesterday and today MUST BE CORRECTED as part of this rollback. The above statement, while it may sound as if the data will be corrected, does NOT in fact say that.

I need a concrete statement from CommerceTeam Linden that the (currently) incorrect data will be corrected and retrievable in corrected format and content.

I appreciate the rapid response to this issue, and I am doubly glad that all that is necessary is for us to re-download the data again to retrieve corrected information. But I must again protest this insane push toward Display Names in everything.

Display Names are decorative Social Interaction handles and should *NEVER* be used in business of any sort. How would you like your paychecks made out to your work nicknames. Can you imagine the look on the face of the bank teller as you try and cash your paycheck made out to "Skippy" or "Bub" or "Geekboy"? Business transactions ALWAYS require guaranteed identification ... and Display Names are NEVER guaranteed.

Got to agree with that Darius - Display Names 'in world' are bad enough and causing more than enough confusion and problems for business owners. For instance my partner who eeks an SL living from organising Wedding and Collaring ceremonies has been climbing the walls from day one with naming issues for invites and certificates. Mr xx Resident will marry Miss xyz Resident etc etc. The dumb thing is that Display name were meant to make life easier for folks who wanted to share a name after a wedding.

But I digress - Back to Marketplace - including a transitory fleeting display name in a marketplace transaction record is not only folly, data space wasting nonsense and confusing, but is also bleeding barking mad!

However  at the end of the day there are two good words that sum up the whole debacle 'effing stupid'

^L^

I've seen this kind of pattern before in organizations where they keep moving someone around inside the organization rather than dropping them.

What tends to happen eventually is that they do drop such a person, but not until after they have successively tried to trust that person with every possible kind of task that their job description can possibly be stretched to include, as a way of not being seen to let them repeat any mistake literally.

Maybe we can make a list of functions/features in SLM that LL has yet to break and we can check them off as they break.

That way, when we get near the end of the list, you'll all know that it's a good time to apply for a job at LL.

What I want to know from a Linden with knowledge of the background of this half-baked solution are the details as to WHY a LL Developer thought using the Display Name was a great idea?

• What was the logic behind this terrible idea that was deployed? 
  • Was it truly an unexpected side-effect of fixing another bug?
  • How did fixing this other big impact the way the transaction history data changed to capture another field of data?
  • What was the background how DISPLAY NAME was even a factor at all?

Brooke, please dont treat us as sheltered children.  WHY was LL Commerce & Development fiddling around with DISPLAY NAME at all when working with any systems that track transaction, history, tracking, ecommerce at all ??

What worries all us Merchants is the UNKNOWN BACKGROUND from this utterly stupid change that caused LL to respond to this JIRA so quickly.

What worries us Brooke is that you and your team actually have thoughts of using Display Name as part of up-coming systems changes - like DD.  Please speak up clearly and openly about the background of DISPLAY NAME and confirm with the Merchant Community that you and your team have NO INTENTION TO USE DISPLAY NAME ANYWHERE INVOLVING CRITICAL FINANCIAL ACCOUNTNG SYSTEMS.

I cannot believe if LL's Commerce and Development Team is this junior and out of touch on how financial systems work to consider using a NickName as part of anything involving financial tracking.  Make us feel better by explaining how this was a purely unexpected human error and Display Name was not supposed to be anywhere involved in the root cause fix to this recent bug.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

What I want to know from a Linden with knowledge of the background of this half-baked solution are the details as to WHY a LL Developer thought using the Display Name was a great idea?

I'm not a Linden but I can answer this for you.  They thought that a display name in transaction history would look cute.  C'mon, you have to agree that purchases by "Sassy's little Toyboy" works ;)

I have to ask, specifically, in this example:

Does anyone yet have a theory which doesn't make even less sense than my own?

That the use of display names was intended (if maybe ultimately by only one person) to further complicate the process of constructing useful business records?

Really?

A less senseless theory?

Do tell.

I have a theory that has nothing to do with mal-intent or conspiracies, but it does have a well vetted history.

The web page that was being used (and is back now btw) had old style buttons on it. The web page that showed incorrect transaction records had new HTML and fancy new graphical buttons. When they built the new page, they just grabbed the STANDARD LIBRARY routine to take an Avatar UUID and turn it into a name. Unfortunately for them, they've decided that Display Name is the standard name, thus the standard library renders everything as Display Name (user.name)

They're so busy standardizing and updating everything, they've not stopped to think about what they're doing; they have a pot of tar .. and by golly they're gonna spread it everywhere before it hardens.

They did it simply to make more work for themselves, respond to you guys here and make you all hate. Why?

I have a theory....when SL is miserable, there are more sim sales, tier payments come in earlier or something....at some point....maybe not immediatly, but at some point.

So, they lag us *chachingg* the money rolls in. They have a day where they stop lagging us.....wow, sales drop the less laggy day after that and after that. But, when the time dilation of your mind sets in and you are used to things going slow you can't do stuff. So, when you are no unhindered...you go crazy and are so sick ofo beingn bummed out and upset you buy stuff, laugh it up and are generally happy!

OR, the fighting, beating theory. When SL lags the tough get to killing and beating on stuff. Gun sales sky rocket, whips and odd devices fly off the shelf and onto peoples bottoms!!! This is a day of pain, suffering, nashing of teeth and these dudes can't get enough...so the sales and log in hours must double and the commissions pay for all the food they are gorging on in some like fun room they have. They sit around and watch a lonely intern run around in the server room and freak out and then ignore all the phone calls he is making as sims restart, angry people call in and he sees stuff on the forums....they just sit ina  secret tiny room on freaky chairs all chilling our laughing and skimming money off while the servers mess up transactions and all choas breaks loose and data is lost, thing undelivered. They pocket it into a small account AND get LL paying this small catering company corporation with teh CEO 'Mick E. Mouse' they use!! They sit back eating junk food, throwing stuff at the TV and then when things start to stop going wrong they all sneak out and back to thier offices....LL leaders found out but don't care...it has been GREAT for business, the following days from the big beatathons and wars that people would do during huge lag, massive failures and so on lead to a day when people all seem to pay tier fees early as they chuckle about how they will not let the lag stop them etc. and also say how they will quit and find another world one day. In the mean time a trifecta of luck hits.....less competition! They fold when they hear about how a virtual world vetaren can't even handle some measily million customers a month and have issues with 60, 000+ concurrency. THey fold, they can't get investors as the angels and VC's just laugh and point to some stats and the SL forums! So, the management keep it going...everynow and then maybe even the CEO just pulls a plug on a server while he is off to the water cooler and chuckles while he decides to think about all the stuff he will do with the extra 50$ he gets from the thousands of angry fighters and beaters buying new stuff to take out thier anger, new lower lag stuff to try and combat the lag goes into the inventories of the less agressive...."It must be that new couch...oh well, there are 389604 more that match!" and all is well at LL!

Of course, this is a joke....sort of based on "Follow the money" and....well, the lack of competition and so on sort of fits this! Obsurd? Yeah, but that is my mind in a nutshell. A bit Obsurd....not as bad as some people though, so you never know what the turmoil and oddities are all caused by.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

ROFL!! Seriously Poenald .. put down the Jolt Cola and step away from the keyboard. A couple guys with a nice new white coat will be over to help you shortly.

LOL!!  whew.... and here I thought I just did not have enough coffee while I was reading her post this morning.  As I read the posting the words blurred into oblivion in my mind (like when you watch Television and start nodding off and the content fades to white noise in your mind).

/ME goes back to the love triangle and sucking my thumb rocking back and forth perpetually.

PS:  When I tried to post this message the LL forum filter engine blocked the posting for using the phrase "Watch T.V." in the body (without the periods) which it said is not permitted.  WHAA???

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Darrius Gothly wrote:

ROFL!! Seriously Poenald .. put down the Jolt Cola and step away from the keyboard. A couple guys with a nice new white coat will be over to help you shortly.

PS:  When I tried to post this message the LL forum filter engine blocked the posting for using the phrase "Watch T.V." in the body (without the periods) which it said is not permitted.  WHAA???

Howdy, Toy...

You've seen the spammer around the forums on the weekend who advertises television programs to watch?  I bet you lindens that the moderators made those words "not permitted" to try to prevent that ridiculous spam from flooding each form in the place.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.