Looking for skins similar to Curio's

Libertine Frostbite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been wearing the same Curio skin for at least a year and a half, and it's starting to look a bit out of date. Unfortunately, the new Curio skins have different skintones, none of which look right to me, and have painted-on eyelashes, which I loathe. I asked the creator whether the skintone was adjustable and/or if she planned to release versions without the eyelashes painted on, she said, and I quote, "I guess you'll just have to shop somewhere else."

Hey, if that's what she wants...

I don't want to change my look significantly, just go to something a little more realistic. Here's the Curio skin I wear most often, with no added makeup (but with prim lashes):

lib_portrait.png

Key preferences:

• Similar facial contours - I started out with a freebie skin that looked a lot like this one, and it took me a year to find one that looked enough like "me" to upgrade.
  • No more made-up looking than this, i.e., no dark eyeshadows or heavy liner and *no* painted-on lashes! The other versions of this skin I have are even less made-up.
  • Close to the same skintone - I'm willing to go a tiny bit darker or lighter, but not pinker
  • Full-body freckles, not just cheeks and nose

Any suggestions?

t's not easy to recommend a skin when you have so strong ideas about how they should look.  I am the opposite of you, I love skins that look a bit different and goes from african to pale in a sec.

I just want to add that full body freckles is something you can add, no need to have that as a must. L Fauna, Esk-Imo and Mynerva all sell wonderful freckes to add on, face and body.  See this thread : http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Your-Avatar/I-was-hoping-the-SL-Angels-would-love-me-more/td-p/1040213

You do not need to wear prim lashes unless it is your preference.  Mozz makes wonderful tattoo layer lashes.  If your skin comes with lashes, you should be able to adjust them downward to zero using your sliders.

I, too, wear Curio skins and have for 18 months.  I always check out the new releases and update as I see fit.  The only adjustment I have had to do when switching her skins has been to the mouth area.

I agree on Marianne's comment about Mynerva skins.  They are lovely.

Apparently I wasn't clear enough. My problem is not with system lashes, which are the ones you can adjust using the sliders in the Appearance menu and mask out using the abovementioned alpha (which I already have). System lashes are part of the shape, not part of the skin.

I have a problem with lashes that are painted onto the skin texture.  An alpha that masked them out would also mask out the eyelids, because they are both part of the skin. It would look something like this:

eye alpha.png

Now, that's what I call sexy.

Does everyone get it now?

my lashes are painted on too and not system ones..and the alpha mask doesnt look anything like that when i use it...i wear the alpha along with some tattoo lashes I bought on fifty linden friday yesterday from glitterati or with a few pairs of prim lashes I use. Perhaps you didnt have a very good alpha mask? I use the one I gave you the link for.

Oh, for...

Behold, the new Curio demo skin closest in skintone to my old one, using the exact same alpha as yours:

without alpha.png

with alpha.png

There's no difference using a lash alpha, because the lash alpha hides system lashes, which, as I've been attempting to explain, are not painted onto the skin, but are rather part of the shape.

Behold, the same experiment using system lashes:

system without alpha.png

system with alpha.png

I can't make it any clearer than that.

Aside from getting a custom skin, you might not be able to find exactly what you want.

Also, gotta chillax. Everyone just wants to help out and sometimes words get mixed.

If you want less make-up try a 'child' skin. I find them rather nice and you can always add make-up later. Painted on eye-lashes though is a big trend, I wish you luck in finding some without them.

Also, http://www.vintfalken.com/free-full-perm-female-skin-textures/ there are some free PSD's for skin. I know that the eyelashes are on their own layer. You can download GIMP to use them. That way, you can pick and choose what you want. 

Agreed Venus..I was never happy with prim lashes...the glitterati ones I bought yesterday are rather fabbo..3 different levels of tattoo lashes from doe- to diva ! (not sure what the regular price is, but great for a flf item) Weird really cause I searched all over for tattoo ones last week and found none !

Faithless Babii wrote:

gosh..you have quite the attitude...and for no good reason.

I wear Curio skins..the same as you..I use the alpha layer I showed you...I have no idea why you get the results you do because I dont.

Something tells me there might have been a reason she was told to shop elsewhere.

Aside from the prim vs. painted lashes - which is personal preference.....

Skins and shapes work together to create your face.  Its impossible for anyone to recommend a skin that will give you the same look for that reason.  I too don't like to "change' my look when I buy a new skin, only make my avatar look better.  The only way that I can do that is by going to skin shops and getting lots of demos to try on.  The last time I changed skins I had to change creators too because the newer skins she was selling at the time changed my appearance too much.  It took me a few months and trying on a lot of skins until I found one that I liked.

About lashes though, keep an open mind.  Maybe you don't like them because you haven't' found the right skin yet.  Also when you wear prim lashes and close your eyes the lashes don't move with the lid.  This is why I think that painted ones are getting more popular, aside from he convenience factor.  However, that being said, its your face and you have to suit yourself.

Good luck in your search

Pamela Galli wrote:

Faithless Babii wrote:

gosh..you have quite the attitude...and for no good reason.

I wear Curio skins..the same as you..I use the alpha layer I showed you...I have no idea why you get the results you do because I dont.

Something tells me there might have been a reason she was told to shop elsewhere.

:smileywink:

Though I'm not sure you'll come back to this thread, as it doesn't appear you went back to the first, I'll make this suggestion anyway:

There are a number of skin thread opened fairly recently, various people asking more general questions. They've received a bunch of responses filled with different places to go for wonderful skins. Perhaps you could go visit those threads, compile a list of those suggestions, and visit those stores. From there you can collect demos, then find somewhere to try them all on and compare, against each other and against your Curio skin.

Which is absurd.  All these years it's been prim or painted on and hardly anyone painted them on.  we finally get tattoo layer make up, so we can pick and choose our own lashes at will, without bothering with those prim things, and now every skin maker, his dog and their Aunt, wants to paint eye lashes onto their skins.

What's up with that?

I daresay if you have any complaints you take it to the judge.  I think all of the skins I have ever bought (and this is over 4+ years have always had lashes painted on.  At some point, I started wearing prim lashes and switched to tattoo lashes.  I do not see the big deal.  Just pick what suits you and enjoy.  If you do not like what you see on the market, learn to make your own. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.