How To Destroy Secondlife and The Secondlife Economy

ralph Alderton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How to destroy Secondlife and the Secondlife economy :

Sell your stuff for 10L$ or better still free !

You won't make any real money

Linden Lab won't make any commission

Nobody will value anything anymore because it costs next to nothing

Good creators will stop creating and leave because they can't justify spending their life and time working for nothing

Secondlife will turn into a virtual SLum populated by 10L$ dross and nobody will come and nobody will stay

Long term, good creators can't create good content for 10L$

The more FREE there is in the world the less it is valued

So if you want to destroy SL and the SL economy go ahead and join the 10L$ idiot bandwagon on the road to nowhere

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how it affects the economy as a whole, but as an SL consumer, the fact that I can get a similar (but not usually comparable) product cheaper has never stopped me from making higher end purchases if the quality is equal to the price.

As far as the 10L shops, I've already seen a few that started out a year or so ago at all 1 or 10L ,but now have a wall or a back room where those original 'cheapies' are still available (I'm thinking of Glamorize in particular), but their newer and higher quality items are priced to match their improved skills.

ralph means that the cheap items are not good for HIM.

But he still won't tell us what he sells or at what price.

If pushed to speculate, I'd guess that his alt sells animations, mostly in-world, and that they are overpriced, but only in terms of them not being worth, either, what his competitors charge for something he considers to be similar.

Care to deny it, Ralph? I've never said that I wouldn't believe your denial on such points.

Isn't it weird, also, that the moderator starts deleting my posts (and those of others without explanation) right around the time ralph show up again?

Toy- count your posts. I can only assume that they're next. At least I got a message about mine this time.

Josh, I am not a moderator and I deny everything

10L$ content is bad for everybody including the people who make it. It degrades the value of virtual goods and is degrading to   content creators.

But Josh, I certainly would dlete your posts if I had such powers :matte-motes-evil-invert:

ralph Alderton wrote:

@Stella, I'm an alt for a long term SL content creator and I don't post with my creator account because I say stuff that is sometimes controversial.

Well, I don't mean to be rude, but it's pretty difficult to take anything you say seriously then. You're criticizing the work and business practices of others while refusing to show your own.

If you believe what you say as firmly as you seem to, why hide? Come out and stand behind it. Other creators have posted controversial statements and I dont' think it ruined thier businesses. 

ralph Alderton wrote:

@Stella, I'm an alt for a long term SL content creator and I don't post with my creator account because I say stuff that is sometimes controversial.

This doenst matter either since LL bans by IP and not by name.  If you're too afraid to stand up for what you say or what you believe in unless you hide behind an alt, what does that make you? 

the way ralph comes on here always spouting 'freebies are dross and ruining the economy' he sounds like a scratched CD thats got stuck on repeat :smileyvery-happy:

there's always going to be a market and a need for low cost items a lot of the items that are low price are pitched at the right price IMO, high quality and unique items will always sell at a premium and there is a lot of this stuff around. i don't think good creators will stop creating they'll just create something better and more exciting than whats already out there

Oh come on Ralphy it's not even full moon yet!

Those little green and yellow capsules in the medicine cabinet are great for calming  you down - have you stopped popping them this week?

Why not take a  little trip over to AVN and see what a freebie less economy really does for a grid. They should welcome you there with open arms with your kind of mindset.

^L^

ralph Alderton wrote:

Privacy - like eating and breathing - is one of life's basic requirements. ~

Katherine Neville

All violations of essential privacy are brutalizing.

Katharine Fullerton Gerould

I don't see how this is a privacy issue. The major question your posts bring up for me is how good your work is when you repeatedly state that freebies are low quality.

I'd like to see for myself whether freebies are the issue or the quality of your work is.

& For Rya, yes there are:

A coward is much more exposed to quarrels than a man of spirit.

Thomas Jefferson 

The coward only threatens when he is safe.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Our local paper won't print unsigned letters to the editor, explaining their policy in these words:

If you don't care enough to sign your name, why should we care enough to print it?

@Rya I love Secondlife. I wouldn't say these things otherwise.

If I was a coward I wouldn't say anything at all

To see the right and not to say it is cowardice.

confucius

Courage is often lack of insight, whereas cowardice in many
cases is based on good information.

Peter Ustinov

I have got to agree.  I expect that BAXis a selling a lot more of any one of their " hundreds of lindens per pair" boots than I am selling of all my dollarbie boots combined.

A quick quality comparison should explain this to anyone's satisfaction.

People willing to spend, will spend for what they want.  People unwilling to spend were unlikely customers from the get-go.

ralph Alderton wrote:

@Rya I love Secondlife. I wouldn't say these things otherwise.

If I was a coward I wouldn't say anything at all

To see the right and not to say it is cowardice.

confucius

Courage is often lack of insight, whereas cowardice in many

cases is based on good information.

Peter Ustinov

Note how they both signed those. With their real names.

I don't have anything against alts, I have a few myself, but if you're going to state that you create things and the only reason people buy the other "crap" is that the "crap" is cheaper, naturally we'd like to see an example of your work. It's entirely possible that you make things not many people want or that you aren't very good at it.

As far as the shop owners making money, I wouldn't underestimate the power of the "Really, only 10L?!!?! I'll take one of everything!" effect. Because I did that at Passion4Fashion and SG recently.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.