How To Destroy Secondlife and The Secondlife Economy

ralph Alderton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The comments about wikipedia were funning on the fact that you told me off for having some kind instituionalized hive mind (which is just so lame and cliche, or worse still prok-esque) and that you then went on to quote wikipedia.  That combination is just begging someone to laugh to at you. 

The valid argument immediately followed.  Did you not read any further than the first sentence of my post?

There's no need to dispute the definition you provided Medhue.  Your claims were about special priviledges, and your definition makes no mention of such a thing. 

You should bother to understand your sources before you start cutting and pasting them.  I always find that helpful myself.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Toy.  I think I'd personally get annoyed getting so many emails, so I do not have them sent to my email box.  I'm happy with the price I pay for this.  If I want to find my recent conversations I find them on the forum.

I figure otherwise I might get so annoyed at times, I could loose all sight of propriety and find myself inappapropriately, unrealistically and publicly moaning about the fact that people are posting on a forum in a thread.    I wouldn't want to be doing that myself.

ralph, thx for the laughs...btw, you should leave your mom's basement sometimes. The real world isn't all that scary...ok I lied, it's scarier than you could ever imagine...I hope you have nightmares of freebies flying around you, pecking at you, torturing you... ;p

@ Josh, I've bought some of your stuff and really like what you do. I turned some of your stone walls into a fireplace. Looks very cool! ;D 

freebies do not destroy a market crappy freebies do. When i fist started on sl freebies where my stepping stone without them i would have been ruth for a while at least i could attempt to dress myself up a bit as i made more money i started spending more on higher quality stuff.however there should be a limit on how many freebies one merchant can post on mp. Freebies should be earned like the rest of us had to we searched in world for them.

That does affect the economy a bit, but what will truly stifle the SL economy will be the upcoming limitation on scripts. If the number of scripts are going to be limited, than everyone who has purchased items anywhere in SL with scripts inside them may be demanding a refund. If this happens en mass, than say goodbye to Second Life because nobody will be purchasing anything from anyone. SL cannot exist without scripts, and few people will be willing to part with their AO's, their HUD's, their vehicles, their scripted clothes, their avatars, and other things that they had paid for with very real money. The only reason that Second Life is still around is the popularity combined with the freedoms of creativity and expression, and the profits made by Microsoft (SL), Linden Labs, major corporate IT networks, and the users. Setting limits will only serve to increase the number of scripts that every sim owner uses, thus denying service to customers that have paid for items. The mindset is 'take what you can while it is still here", which can even turn into a state of mild panic for some. You would see too many sims with "No-Scripts" restrictions because the sim owners themselves have nearly used up all of their script limits. If nobody has a place to build things due to script limitations, than you have only resellers left as merchants. The only outcome of this sort of restriction is commercial suicide. My proposition for LL and SL is this: I suggest scripting avatars, hair, shoes, and clothing with special resizing scripts that auto-delete from their host prims once the user has finished resizing the objects to the particular avatar. This leaves the original items inside their boxes in case a user creates another avatar for a special occasion, yet is server-efficient, and it does not require any restriction. If more creators had used things like this, than it would eventually use less server load. :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Mick Scarbridge wrote:

My proposition for LL and SL is this: I suggest scripting avatars, hair, shoes, and clothing with special resizing scripts that auto-delete from their host prims once the user has finished resizing the objects to the particular avatar. This leaves the original items inside their boxes in case a user creates another avatar for a special occasion

Go ahead, educate the dysfunctional merchants that sell items that do this which are no copy.  No mod, no copy, resize scripted whether they self delete or offer owner delete are dysfunctional creations.

Bonadea Avedon wrote:

freebies do not destroy a market crappy freebies do. When i fist started on sl freebies where my stepping stone without them i would have been ruth for a while at least i could attempt to dress myself up a bit as i made more money i started spending more on higher quality stuff.however there should be a limit on how many freebies one merchant can post on mp. Freebies should be earned like the rest of us had to we searched in world for them.

idontnowhyurquotingmecauseididnotsayanythingaboutfreebies

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.