How did you come up with the name for your Avatar!

Hippie Bowman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I created my avatar I was heavily into paganism and druidry. I wanted a Celtic sounding name so I did a search on some websites with baby names. That's how I found "Uallas" , I scrolled down the surname list and stopped at Borgin, partially because I was bored going trough the list, partly because it sounded a bit mysterious. Later I discoverd that Borgin was a character in the Harry Potter novels.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I became a neko (or rather discovered I was one when I wore a box not knowing what I was up to and realized I finally saw 'me' on the screen and not some random blingtard-nooblet).

Then I went shopping for the perfect surname on slnamewatch, unlike all you noobs and LOSERS OMG LOL NO SURNAMES FOR YOU...

Darn... :(

Well yeah...

After I got the right surname, I struggled with the ideal firstname to match it with.

kittyliscious lasted about 5 mins into login.

kitty was taken, thank goodness now that I think on it.

Pussycat minus the 'cat' part was also taken. Seriously thank goodness for that - cause I did make one alt with that on a differen surname before actually reading it back to myself...

Cat was taken but sounded masculine anyway.

Gato - you can get more manly sounding than that.

Koyangi nobody else would have understood unless I hit a Korean sim.

So I landed on Pussycat.

Its a serious shame people don't get surnames anymore. It really sparks the imagination to work through that list.

Nancy Hilltop wrote:

I just went with my first name and i looked at the 10 names they gave me to pick form and 10 more and the best name of the 20 was hilltop and then i started going by crystal hilltops as a boondocks joke cause i was working as a stripper and then i had to think up a greek name for school so i went with Iona which means purple jewel and geordi  which means hill near meadow

Cool Nancy!  Great name!

Peace!

Cinnamon Mistwood wrote:

I wish I had a great story...  I just used my real first name and figured no one would believe it anyway.  I have hippie parents and shudder at all the possible names they could have come up with.  I like my name and always have, but I wonder of being called Moon or Sunny or Amethyst would have felt the same. 

I put zero thought into choosing a last name (it was the first one that worked).  If I had known I could have had so much fun with the combination, I definitely would have put more effort into it.  Even so, I am very glad to have a last name - I like running into other avatars with the same one.

Cinn

Thanks for the post Cinn!  Hippie parents huh?  Far out!

Peace!

Uallas Borgin wrote:

When I created my avatar I was heavily into paganism and druidry. I wanted a Celtic sounding name so I did a search on some websites with baby names. That's how I found "Uallas" , I scrolled down the surname list and stopped at Borgin, partially because I was bored going trough the list, partly because it sounded a bit mysterious. Later I discoverd that Borgin was a character in the Harry Potter novels.

So good Uallas!  Great name!

Peace!

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I became a neko (or rather discovered I was one when I wore a box not knowing what I was up to and realized I finally saw 'me' on the screen and not some random blingtard-nooblet).

Then I went shopping for the perfect surname on slnamewatch, unlike all you noobs and LOSERS OMG LOL NO SURNAMES FOR YOU...

Darn...
:(

Well yeah...

After I got the right surname, I struggled with the ideal firstname to match it with.

kittyliscious lasted about 5 mins into login.

kitty was taken, thank goodness now that I think on it.

Pussycat minus the 'cat' part was also taken. Seriously thank goodness for that - cause I did make one alt with that on a differen surname before actually reading it back to myself...

Cat was taken but sounded masculine anyway.

Gato - you can get more manly sounding than that.

Koyangi nobody else would have understood unless I hit a Korean sim.

So I landed on Pussycat.

Its a serious shame people don't get surnames anymore. It really sparks the imagination to work through that list.

Great name Pussycat!  It takes some thought to pick the right one huh?

Peace!

Wow Hippie - great thread.  Love hearing how everyone picked their names.  And love them all :)  Mine came from my AOL RP character (Yep - text based RP) Her name was Sapphire and her look as it has evolved here in SL came from that character and the pic I had for her in my AOL profile.  As for the last name, I am a Wiccan/Pagan who is into herbology and healing and Hyssop is a healing plant so I found the closest thing here in SL which was Hissop.  I have only met one other with the same last name as myself.  I think I am coming up on...wow...4 years in January and I agree with others.  The last names really gave character and let people create some interesting names.  I used to know someone in SL who's name was Itsalotta Gumbo.  And yes he used the last name Gumbo.  He said it came from his son (I think) talking about a pot of gumbo and he created a name out of it.  He used to come to a place I danced at lo these many years ago ;)  We called him Itsa.

And I really hated the number thing in AOL so really worked hard to pick names I could have without numbers.  And the same here...I did not want a name with any numbers in it and got lucky enough to be able to create a name that resonates with me.  Looking forward to seeing more great replies :)

Sapphire

ETA:  Ooops made a spelling error on his name so corrected it.  That's what I get for not being awake and posting :)

Sapphire Hissop wrote:

Wow Hippie - great thread.  Love hearing how everyone picked their names.  And love them all
:)
  Mine came from my AOL RP character (Yep - text based RP) Her name was Sapphire and her look as it has evolved here in SL came from that character and the pic I had for her in my AOL profile.  As for the last name, I am a Wiccan/Pagan who is into herbology and healing and Hyssop is a healing plant so I found the closest thing here in SL which was Hissop.  I have only met one other with the same last name as myself.  I think I am coming up on...wow...4 years in January and I agree with others.  The last names really gave character and let people create some interesting names.  I used to know someone in SL who's name was ItsALotOf Gumbo.  And yes he used the last name Gumbo.  He said it came from his son (I think) talking about a pot of gumbo and he created a name out of it.  He used to come to a place I danced at lo these many years ago
;)
  We called him ItsA.

And I really hated the number thing in AOL so really worked hard to pick names I could have without numbers.  And the same here...I did not want a name with any numbers in it and got lucky enough to be able to create a name that resonates with me.  Looking forward to seeing more great replies
:)

Sapphire

Thank you Sapphire!  Just was wondering how people came up with there name!  Good and interesting reading huh?

Peace!

i just took a peek at the thread funniest thing i've seen all day it instantly reminded me of an Alt i created back in the days when it was still possible to ghost and i was suffering from a fair few ghosting attacks i had seen the last name ghost around in SL so i went over to SLnamewatch to see if the name was still active it was so i went on a third party portal grabbed the name and my alt became Claireschens Ghost 

As I was considering all my last name choices, Afterthought stuck out. I also like names that form funny/interesting phrases. Eventually I thought about how haphazard copies from a xerox machine can look, like quality was a total afterthought. If you've ever seen any of those DIY zines that some people will make by photocopying something they collaged together, you'll know exactly where my mind was going. Thus Xeroxed Afterthought was born. I'm trying to keep my primary avatar fairly monochromatic to at least partially fit with the theme. xD

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

i just took a peek at the thread funniest thing i've seen all day it instantly reminded me of an Alt i created back in the days when it was still possible to ghost and i was suffering from a fair few ghosting attacks i had seen the last name ghost around in SL so i went over to SLnamewatch to see if the name was still active it was so i went on a third party portal grabbed the name and my alt became Claireschens Ghost 

So good Claireschen!  Far out!

Peace!

Hi Hippie,

Well a friend used to call me JoJo (everyone else just calls me Jo) and at first I thought it rather odd and for a while whenever she said JoJo I'd say yes yes. That got old after not too long and eventually I began to like the name JoJo.  

I wanted to use a name that I could identify with, that was easy to say and type, unlike my last name but I figured no-one would bother using my last name, funnily enough they do.  When Moeleneaux came up in the list of last names, it was the only one I liked and it had a French vibe to it and I'm big fan of frenchiness, is that a word? nevermind, it's out there now :smileywink:

_______

edited to fix stuff

JoJo Moeleneaux wrote:

Hi Hippie,

Well a friend used to call me JoJo (everyone else just calls me Jo) and at first I thought it rather odd and for a while whenever she said JoJo I'd say yes yes. That got old after not too long and eventually I began to like the name JoJo.  

I wanted to use a name that I could identify with, that was easy to say and type, unlike my last name but I figured no-one would bother using my last name, funnily enough they do.  When Moeleneaux came up in the list of last names, it was the only one I liked and it had a French vibe to it and I'm big fan of frenchiness, is that a word? nevermind, it's out there now :smileywink:

_______

edited to fix stuff

Frenchiness is certainly a word when it comes from you! You could even use "Frenchitude", I would still love you for that, mon amie ! Love both you name and personality, Jojo! :smileyhappy:

Melita Magic wrote:

Melita means Mermaid.

I knew about the affinity; I didn't know about the meaning.

I also wanted something mellifluous for Magic.

This^^ is what really knocked me out. I have a pet Meeroo, the daughter of one named after me. She's still in my inventory but she'll find her place once I have time to get my little plot better organized. The thing is, she already has a name: Mellifluous. She's named for the singing voice of a friend, and I call her 'Mel' for short.:smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.