How did you come up with the name for your Avatar!

Hippie Bowman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The young Indian boy had spent most of his life in a quandry... He felt different yet... couldn't figure why... he was just so depressed. He went to the Chief for answers... He asked the chief how his brother Red Deer Running had gotten his name...

The chief answered in his typically poetic way..."When Red Deer Running was born, at the moment of his birth, the first thing his mother saw was a beautiful deer running off into the forest... and so Running Deer was named. It is the custom of our tribe to name the offspring according to the spirits in nature visiting upon the birth."

Then, the boy said to the Chief... And how did my sister "Thundering Bird" get her name? The chief described again, how at the moment of her birth Thundering Bird's mother had heard a roar of thunder and looking up, saw a bird flying in the sky...

The boy asked again, how his cousin "White Crouching Bear" had been given such a name... And the chief, looking down once more at the boy, explaining the traditions of their tribe.... White Bear's mother had seen a rare white bear crouched over a stream at the moment her baby's birth. Then he asked the boy...

"Why do you ask, Two Dogs F@#$ing?"

But that's not how i chose my name.  Mine is a silly private joke on my real self.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

The young Indian boy had spent most of his life in a quandry... He felt different yet... couldn't figure why... he was just so depressed. He went to the Chief for answers... He asked the chief how his brother Red Deer Running had gotten his name...

The chief answered in his typically poetic way..."When Red Deer Running was born, at the moment of his birth, the first thing his mother saw was a beautiful deer running off into the forest... and so Running Deer was named. It is the custom of our tribe to name the offspring according to the spirits in nature visiting upon the birth."

Then, the boy said to the Chief... And how did my sister "Thundering Bird" get her name? The chief described again, how at the moment of her birth Thundering Bird's mother had heard a roar of thunder and looking up, saw a bird flying in the sky...

The boy asked again, how his cousin "White Crouching Bear" had been given such a name... And the chief, looking down once more at the boy, explaining the traditions of their tribe.... White Bear's mother had seen a rare white bear crouched over a stream at the moment her baby's birth. Then he asked the boy...

"Why do you ask, Two Dogs F@#$ing?"

But that's not how i chose my name.  Mine is a silly private joke on my real self.

LOL Kattatonia.  Great story!  Thanks for sharing!

Peace!

kattatonia Wickentower wrote:

You know, Katt, some of your friends might be following this thread and upon seeing your reply eagerly log in to see the derivation of your name. There may be repercussions for this. :smileywink:

Matty is my RL name. And I picked Luminos because a friend and I joined at the same time and we wanted the same last name and he picked it.

I was briefly tempted to change my display name to my RL last name as well, but aside from being a very common (and therefore boring) name, it's also shared by a certain Time-lord-ish actor, and I didn't want endless people coming up to me and asking me why I look more like Amy Pond than the Doctor.

gee, you all know my RL name now... :matte-motes-silly:

Matty Luminos wrote:

Matty is my RL name. And I picked Luminos because a friend and I joined at the same time and we wanted the same last name and he picked it.

I was briefly tempted to change my display name to my RL last name as well, but aside from being a very common (and therefore boring) name, it's also shared by a certain Time-lord-ish actor, and I didn't want endless people coming up to me and asking me why I look more like Amy Pond than the Doctor.

gee, you all know my RL name now... :matte-motes-silly:

Ahh!  Interesting story behind your name!  I love your name!  Thank you for sharing!

Peace!

My first SL account got the name Darion because I always loved the name Dorian... and it was taken xD  I picked a last name that sounded Scandinavian due to feeling slightly patrioyic at the time or something.

When I made this account, I liked Twine, because I planned to be a short fellah and that name just seemed to fit with that. :P  I originally thought I might have fun switching between a female and male avatar so I looked for a unisex name that sounded well with it. I stayed a boy though. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. :D

Loren Twine wrote:

My first SL account got the name Darion because I always loved the name Dorian... and it was taken
xD
  I picked a last name that sounded Scandinavian due to feeling slightly patrioyic at the time or something.

When I made this account, I liked Twine, because I planned to be a short fellah and that name just seemed to fit with that.
:P
  I originally thought I might have fun switching between a female and male avatar so I looked for a unisex name that sounded well with it. I stayed a boy though. Not sure
what
I was thinking at the time.
:D

Oh so cool Twine!  Great story behind your name!  Thanks for sharing.

Peace!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Giggles..... When I was signing up ... I thought to myself who am I or what am I and with what shell I be in SL ..." Onewith" came to my mind for I am one with a lots in this life...Love, Happeness, Sadness,Silliness,and  Crazieness... so Onewith is what it will be... so then I needed to pick out a last name.... I didnt know what kind of game this was.... I thought I might be fighting so I picked Slingshot... Giggles... OMG  and Onewith Has lived up to her name.....she has done every thing  she can In sl .. and she has only had to use that slingshot a few times.....giggles How fun Is That!

onewith Slingshot wrote:

Giggles..... When I was signing up ... I thought to myself who am I or what am I and with what shell I be in SL ..." Onewith" came to my mind for I am one with a lots in this life...Love, Happeness, Sadness,Silliness,and  Crazieness... so Onewith is what it will be... so then I needed to pick out a last name.... I didnt know what kind of game this was.... I thought I might be fighting so I picked Slingshot... Giggles... OMG  and Onewith Has lived up to her name.....she has done every thing  she can In sl .. and she has only had to use that slingshot a few times.....giggles How fun Is That!

Great story on how ya got your name!  Thanks for sharing!

Peace!

My name selection took quite a long time. I knew that this will be my name forever in SL. I wanted it to be short, easy to remember, first name must rhyme well with the last name.

So, I looked first what last names there were available. Some where very strange, some where nice. I chose few nice ones, typed them in a notepad.

Hmm... what first name should I use? I googled first names used in various countries. Again I selected some nice ones what I liked, typed them in a notepad.

Then the difficult task: compare different first names with different last names. Which combinations look nice and rhyme well. Thinking, looking, thinking, looking (hmm... what time is it, how long I've been doing this? :smileytongue:).

Finally I made my decision: Coby Foden I will be! Yes.
:smileyvery-happy:

PS.
Much later I found out that in one European country they give name Coby to cows. :smileyfrustrated:
But nevetherless I'm still happy with my name. :smileywink:

I just sat and read the whole thread.. some very interesting stories behind the names :)

Mine was pretty simple, Tari was part of tha name of my real life business, years ago. I used to have both employees and customers who thought my actual real name was Tari(it's not, lol). Most people don't pronounce  Tari right either, which I find humorous. Landar sounded good with it. When I was picking a surname I came across my actual real last name, that was a tad weird, though it's a pretty common name.

My other avs created before this one all had some pretty random names with not much rhyme or reason to them.

I like this name, I always have, but lately I've been getting confused for someone else with the name Tari-it's starting to get rather annoying as she's apparently quite the troublemaker and into some....ummm...interesting, things :(

Tari Landar wrote:

I just sat and read the whole thread.. some very interesting stories behind the names
:)

Mine was pretty simple, Tari was part of tha name of my real life business, years ago. I used to have both employees and customers who thought my actual real name was Tari(it's not, lol). Most people don't pronounce  Tari right either, which I find humorous. Landar sounded good with it. When I was picking a surname I came across my actual real last name, that was a tad weird, though it's a pretty common name.

My other avs created before this one all had some pretty random names with not much rhyme or reason to them.

I like this name, I always have, but lately I've been getting confused for someone else with the name Tari-it's starting to get rather annoying as she's apparently quite the troublemaker and into some....ummm...interesting, things
:(

Tari Landar is a lovely name!  I hope Tari-it's don't get you into trouble!  HEHEH!  Thanks for sharing your story!

Peace!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.