How did you come up with the name for your Avatar!

Hippie Bowman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My dogs name is Cheddar so I was thinking cheese. I thought Monterey Jack, then since I'm female I wanted monterey jackie. Nope that didn't work so I tried Jackie but no monterey. So I picked Silverfall but Jackie Silverfall was taken. I then tried Jacki Silverfall and got that. And oddly enough I joined The Forum Cartel group and there was a Jackie Silverfall! What are the odds?

I now have a alt JackiMonterey. She is a horse avi :)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Hippie, I love the etiology of your name. I'm a big fan of 2001.

This is my second second life. I carried forward Madelaine from the first one, as "Maddy" is my RL nickname. McMasters was an easy choice as it's alliterative, and there was no McMistress.

;-)

:smileyvery-happy: So funny! Maddy, you are incredible! Hugs you.

I wanted the name of a Greek or Roman goddess.  I had already identified Petrov as a surname because it is short, easy to pronounce and I like the strong sound of the P, T and V.  Eventually I settled on Venus because it is two syllables, as the surname, and begins with 'V' which gives symmetry to the whole...starting and ending with 'V'.

Occasionally someone will ask if I am Russian.  I hate to disappoint them.

I wanted a first name that would go well with my last and that sounded vaguely eastern so, I went with Deej. I guess it works since I've occasionally been asked if I was Turkish or Indian.

I later learned that Kasshiki is a kind of mask used in Japanese kabuki theatre. If I'd known that at the time I might have gone with a slightly Japanese-inspired first name.

I wanted a first name that would be at least somewhat gender-ambiguous. My first choice was Dylan, but there were already a great many Dylans. I decided I could use the Irish variant; I've a bit of Irish ancestry and there's an interesting fictional character I like—a slightly reformed Irish baddy named Sean Dillon.

Levenque just seemed like the best choice for a last name, partly because it appears French and thus implies mixed ancestry.

Funny this topic comes up today. I'm currently reading the latest book that includes the character I mentioned and he's almost always called by his last name. It's fun seeing lines like, "Well, Dillon. What do you suggest?":smileyhappy:

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

I wanted a first name that would go well with my last and that sounded vaguely eastern so, I went with Deej. I guess it works since I've occasionally been asked if I was Turkish or Indian.

I later learned that Kasshiki is a kind of mask used in Japanese kabuki theatre. If I'd known that at the time I might have gone with a slightly Japanese-inspired first name.

You have one of the most interesting and exotic names I've seen here. Works perfectly.

Jasmyn Vaher wrote:

Hello Hippie!

Mine's the first name that came to my mind at that moment... which is "terrific"... Now I have a name that I don't like both in SL and in RL. Lol!

Luckily most people inworld calls me  just Jas (I mean, Jas...Not "Just jas" :matte-motes-silly: Which sounds to me a bit more warm, comfortable, natural, so to speak

Cheers!

Very cool!  I will call you Jas them!  Thanks Jas!

Peace!

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

My dogs name is Cheddar so I was thinking cheese. I thought Monterey Jack, then since I'm female I wanted monterey jackie. Nope that didn't work so I tried Jackie but no monterey. So I picked Silverfall but Jackie Silverfall was taken. I then tried Jacki Silverfall and got that. And oddly enough I joined The Forum Cartel group and there was a Jackie Silverfall! What are the odds?

I now have a alt JackiMonterey. She is a horse avi
:)

Glad you got the name you wanted Jacki!  Far out!

Peace!

This is my second second life. I carried forward Madelaine from the first one, as "Maddy" is my RL nickname. McMasters was an easy choice as it's alliterative, and there was no McMistress.

;-)

Thanks Maddy!  No McMistress huh?  Sigh!  LOL!

Peace!

valerie Inshan wrote:

;-)

:smileyvery-happy: So funny! Maddy, you are incredible! Hugs you.

Oh yes Val!  She is truly incredible!

Peace!

Venus Petrov wrote:

I wanted the name of a Greek or Roman goddess.  I had already identified Petrov as a surname because it is short, easy to pronounce and I like the strong sound of the P, T and V.  Eventually I settled on Venus because it is two syllables, as the surname, and begins with 'V' which gives symmetry to the whole...starting and ending with 'V'.

Occasionally someone will ask if I am Russian.  I hate to disappoint them.

Love you names Venus!  It conjures up mystical themes!  Yes!

Peace!

JeanneAnne wrote:

My avatar's name is the same as my name in real life, except for her last name which is the name of my best friend and benefactor in SL. Since she adopted me as her little sister I adopted her family name.

Jeanne Anne Decosta

So cool!  You connected it all together!  Woot!

Peace!

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Great name Deej!  Thanks for posting!

Peace!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I wanted a first name that would be at least somewhat gender-ambiguous. My first choice was Dylan, but there were already a great many Dylans. I decided I could use the Irish variant; I've a bit of Irish ancestry and there's an interesting fictional character I like—a slightly reformed Irish baddy named Sean Dillon.

Levenque just seemed like the best choice for a last name, partly because it appears French and thus implies mixed ancestry.

Funny this topic comes up today. I'm currently reading the latest book that includes the character I mentioned and he's almost always called by his last name. It's fun seeing lines like, "Well, Dillon. What do you suggest?":smileyhappy:

Just love you name Dillon my friend!

Peace!

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

...and my second name I chose because I thought it sounded like the name of the season four ProjectRunway (which I couldn't include with the separation... damn spammers) winner, Christian Siriano, whom I loved.

So, I guess that makes me a coin-operated, tranny, hot mess.

...Dres (Fierce!)

Ahh Dres!  Love your name, and all that it implies!

Peace!

Kelli May wrote:

I wanted something short and easy to type, yet with a bit of theatricality. And no offence intended to any real-life Kellies, I wanted something that sounded a little fun and frivolous, because I can take myself far too seriously.

Kelli, your name does remind me of Holli Would.

That is part of where I got the name... I'm not as bad as her, so where Holli Would, Kelli May. I'd given up telling people that explanation, because hardly anyone got the reference. Hurray, someone else gets the link!!

ETA: and now I have inspiration for my next "Vanity Thread" photo...

holliwould.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.