How did you come up with the name for your Avatar!

Hippie Bowman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Melita means Mermaid.

I knew about the affinity; I didn't know about the meaning.

I also wanted something mellifluous for Magic.

This^^ is what really knocked me out. I have a pet Meeroo, the daughter of one named after me. She's still in my inventory but she'll find her place once I have time to get my little plot better organized. The thing is, she already has a name: Mellifluous. She's named for the singing voice of a friend, and I call her 'Mel' for short.:smileyhappy:

Ahh Dillon  I still have 3 Meeroos.  Happy, JoJo (  Back a few post is JoJo. But not the same JoJo. :matte-motes-agape:  LOL!) and Jumpy! 

Peace!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ishtara was originally my Sociolotron character Ishtara Darkwell, and later her transsexual daughter Ishtara Nyx (it's not possible to pick a T-girl in Socio right from the start, one has to procreate in order to father or conceive one. It's a pretty weird and twisted game, but that's exactly what made it so much fun). 

The name is inspired by the Babylonian sex / love / fertility goddess Ishtar. I googled "Ishtara" back in the day and it didn't turn up any results, so I thought the name would be and remain unique. Alas, it caught on (or other people had the same idea) and there are now 40k Google hits :(

My first SL character back in 2005 was Ishtara Dougall. I picked the name because it reminded me of my original Socio surname Darkwell. But I didn't stay for long back then because SL looked too goofy and RP-unfriendly with its weird typing animations and unrealistic flight and teleport abilities.

When I returned in 2006 because all my friends in Socio were praising the scripted adult content and lively BDSM scene in SL, I had forgotten my password and created Ishtara Rothschild in a hurry, a decision I've since come to regret. Not only didn't I have the slightest idea who the Rothschild family is, it's also a pain in the tush to type this name at the login screen :) I always type Rotschild for some reason. I wish I had a shorter and catchier name, like my Indian alt Shanti Ra. Or something cute, like my bunny girl Flopsy Murfin, whose name was inspired by Limp Bizkit.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Ishtara was originally my Sociolotron character Ishtara Darkwell, and later her transsexual daughter Ishtara Nyx (it's not possible to pick a T-girl in Socio right from the start, one has to procreate in order to father or conceive one. It's a pretty weird and twisted game, but that's exactly what made it so much fun). 

The name is inspired by the Babylonian sex / love / fertility goddess Ishtar. I googled "Ishtara" back in the day and it didn't turn up any results, so I thought the name would be and remain unique. Alas, it caught on (or other people had the same idea) and there are now 40k Google hits
:(

My first SL character back in 2005 was Ishtara Dougall. I picked the name because it reminded me of my original Socio surname Darkwell. But I didn't stay for long back then because SL looked too goofy and RP-unfriendly with its weird typing animations and unrealistic flight and teleport abilities.

When I returned in 2006 because all my friends in Socio were praising the scripted adult content and lively BDSM scene in SL, I had forgotten my password and created Ishtara Rothschild in a hurry, a decision I've since come to regret. Not only didn't I have the slightest idea who the Rothschild family is, it's also a pain in the tush to type this name at the login screen
:)
I always type Rotschild for some reason. I wish I had a shorter and catchier name, like my Indian alt Shanti Ra. Or something cute, like my bunny girl Flopsy Murfin, whose name was inspired by Limp Bizkit.

Ahh!  Great story behind you name Ishtara!  Thanks for the post!

Peace!

Nothing special, just wanted something with May or Mae in it, but most were taken, until I tried May with my favorite flower, which is a Lily. 

I had never heard of the Maya software until I visited SL forums, so my username is a complete coincidence to the Maya software.

Cute thread.  Had fun reading about everyone's name and how it came about. 

Loved the marijuana reason as said by someone... too funny! 

But, I will add that Lily is my favorite name for a girl, and if I had a daughter, Lily would be her name, so I guess that is special, although I have no daughter.  

Mayalily wrote:

Nothing special, just wanted something with May or Mae in it, but most were taken, until I tried May with my favorite flower, which is a Lily. 

I had never heard of the Maya software until I visited SL forums, so my username is a complete coincidence to the Maya software.

Cute thread.  Had fun reading about everyone's name and how it came about. 

Loved the marijuana reason as said by someone... too funny! 

But, I will add that Lily is my favorite name for a girl, and if I had a daughter, Lily would be her name, so I guess that is special, although I have no daughter.  

Ahh!  Thank you for sharing with us how you got your name!  Far out!

Peace!

ShyBirdShy wrote:

My friends gave me my nickname in real life.  Shybird, so I added the shy to the end of it since shybird was already taken.

I HIGHLY regret this avie name.  I wish SL had an option to change it. 

Nice name Shybird!  Thanks for sharing!

Peace!

Kandee Koray wrote:

OOO i choose Kandee after Kandee Johnson, i LOVE her, shes one of my heros :3 and i choose Koray as my last name cause. . .idk i was gonna have it as Kandee Kira (cause kira is my first name) but i accidentally refreshed and i couldnt v_v

Thank you Kandee, for sharing how you got your name!  Far out!

Peace!

Cool topic :womanhappy:

I named my avatar Maia007 (no, am not really an ultimate fan of James Bond), like I'd always tell people -- it was an "accident" that I placed double zeros beside my avi's name. I actually just wanted it to be Maia7 (7 is my favorite number) and, well, Maia is one of my favorite names :womanwink:

I wanted a male name with no numbers and so sat with a dictionary of babies names and tried them one by one, without success. It seemed that all simple male names had been taken. After a half hour or so I started typing male nicknames at random and found to my astonishment that "Dazler" had not been taken.

Maia007 wrote:

Cool topic :womanhappy:

I named my avatar Maia007 (no, am not really an ultimate fan of James Bond), like I'd always tell people -- it was an "accident" that I placed double zeros beside my avi's name. I actually just wanted it to be Maia7 (7 is my favorite number) and, well, Maia is one of my favorite names :womanwink:

So cool Maia007!  I am a great fan of the 007 series too!  Sean Conery ( not sure if that is spelled right!)  is my favorite!  Far out!

Peace!

Dazler wrote:

I wanted a male name with no numbers and so sat with a dictionary of babies names and tried them one by one, without success. It seemed that all simple male names had been taken. After a half hour or so I started typing male nicknames at random and found to my astonishment that "Dazler" had not been taken.

Very cool Dazler!  Thanks for sharing!

Peace!

I picked a name thats short, uncommon and sounds cute. It's a name found in Korea, China, Japan (Airi), Finland, Lappland, Ireland, Estonia, so it's kind of ethnically ambiguous and international. "Panthar" sounded best from the list of surnames that was generated. I had never heard of Gorean before joining SL so I was totally unaware the surname "Panthar" would have connotations of wild, half naked, man hating warrior babes living in the jungle. But that's cool, too lol.

Aili Panthar wrote:

I picked a name thats short, uncommon and sounds cute. It's a name found in Korea, China, Japan (Airi), Finland, Lappland, Ireland, Estonia, so it's kind of ethnically ambiguous and international. "Panthar" sounded best from the list of surnames that was generated. I had never heard of Gorean before joining SL so I was totally unaware the surname "Panthar" would have connotations of wild, half naked, man hating warrior babes living in the jungle. But that's cool, too lol.

So cool Aili!  Great name!  Thanks for sharing!

Peace!

It's just my favorite name. I like the Victorian era, particularly writers like Dickens, George Eliot, Thomas Hardy, Henry James... and then on the other hand, I admire Victoria Beckham.

I tried in the past to get a Victoria-named avatar, but it seemed that there was already a Victoria for every last name that I tried.

Right after I got this name, someone offered me a thousand lindens for the account. Even if it wasn't against the rules, there is no way I would have sold it (especially for such a paltry sum as that!).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4450 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.