Linden Labs wants my Passport number

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My friend currently has their account on hold pending Identification, and the only usable form of ID they have is their passport.  They've taken multiple pictures of it yet Linden Labs claims parts are not legible.  They sent a second picture and now Linden Labs is saying they need the passport number as well.  I am very well aware the passport number can be used for malicious purposes and is a form of ID theft.  Is the passport number required or is a Linden Labs employee trying to steal someone's passport information?

Kye Rae wrote:

My friend currently has their account on hold pending Identification, and the only usable form of ID they have is their passport.  They've taken multiple pictures of it yet Linden Labs claims parts are not legible.  They sent a second picture and now Linden Labs is saying they need the passport number as well.  I am very well aware the passport number can be used for malicious purposes and is a form of ID theft.  Is the passport number required or is a
Linden Labs employee trying to steal someone's passport information?

That is a terrible accusation without any proof.

LL does not need *you* as much as you may hope or think they do.  If you want to be age verified give them what they wish, if you don't you don't. 

"Your last submission did not include the documents ID number, we will need that number for verification."

I don't see how any non governmental agency would require the Passport ID number to verify the document.  I'm asking if this is a standard request by Linden Labs or is a Linden Labs employee trying to take advantage of the situation?

If they're taking pics of the passport and not scanning it, I'm not at all surprised that the pics aren't coming out very clear, it happens a lot when you take a picture of a document.

Why on earth would a LL employee want to steal someone's passport number, when it can be very easily traced to the person asking for it? Seriously, lol. That doesn't make any sense. That's like admitting to a crime you haven't quite yet committed, and leaving your name so they can later verify it was you who did it.

If you want to verify the account, you have to give them the info they're asking for.

Kye Rae wrote:

"Your last submission did not include the documents ID number, we will need that number for verification."

I don't see how any non governmental agency would require the Passport ID number to verify the document.  I'm asking if this is a standard request by Linden Labs or is a Linden Labs employee trying to take advantage of the situation?

Because someone can fake a document, quite easily, they need the number to ensure it's actually a valid ID. Lots of non-government agencies need a valid form of ID for identification purposes. A passport without an actual number(or one that can't be seen, in this case) isn't valid until they can confirm the number exists and belongs to the person on the passport. The same way a government issued ID can  be faked, so can a passport-especially a *picture of a passport.

All they do is check the passport number against public records to verify that the person you are claiming to be with the same name, age & address really exists. Its is exactly that same process that 1000s of residents went through with the old age verification system by Aristotle.

Seriously what sort of proof of ID do you think a passport picture is to LL, they can compare it to your avatar and see that its you? Of course they need the number.

Here's my suggestion to your friend. Tell him to take a picture of his d... and send it to LL. This will tell a lot.

I'm serious :)

Btw where I live I can show middle finger at any bank when they require my passport to scan. I can show it so they can see it but scan it - NO. And even though the laws some are still trying to take my passport for unknown purposes.

H8 wrote:

Here's my suggestion to your friend. Tell him to take a picture of his d... and send it to LL. This will tell a lot.

I'm serious
:)

Btw where I live I can show middle finger at any bank when they require my passport to scan. I can show it so they can see it but scan it - NO. And even though the laws some are still trying to take my passport for unknown purposes.

Yes, it will tell LL that they are not really concerned about verifying their identity for adult verfication if that is what they are trying to do, or if there is suspicion of underage participation, then they are telling LL they don't care to stay in SL.  It's a choice where the release of information has to be weighed against desire of access. 

I am sure if this person was standing in Linden Lab offices, they too could simply show them the passport and it would suffice.  That luxury is nonexistant in this case, so this argument hold no merit. 

Depending on which country you live in, it may be unlawful for you to send identifying information to a foreign party - for example, your drivers' license number, passport number or national ID number/SSN. These numbers are, in every case that I'm aware of, not a part of publicly-accessible records, and can't be verified in any case. (Exception, SSNs appear next to other personally identifying data in USA voter lists that are publicly accessible records).

Kye Rae wrote:

I don't see how any non governmental agency would require the Passport ID number to verify the document. 

I'm asking if this is a standard request by Linden Labs or is a Linden Labs employee trying to take advantage of the situation?

Yes, Kye, it is a standard request if one is trying to age verify, and one is not using a credit card and/or driver's license.  The Lab needs something that shows them you are an actual legal adult.   A Passport is one type of document that is accepted. 

If your friend is able to put a credit card on file, that will do the same as age verifying regarding your inworld activities.  But, if not, then some type of government issued identification is needed to show that your friend is indeed an adult. 

I have only used a credit card on file with Linen Lab, and have never gone through the "official" age verification process.   Yet, I'm able to access all adult areas on the grid, and the SL marketplace, etc.   (actually, my original payment information on file with LL, was a verified PayPal account tied to my bank, and not a credit card. This also allowed me the ability to access mature & adult areas, even after, the Great Zindra migration)  So, this may be an option for your friend.

when I verified, i used my drivers license number ( which i couldnt even get access to in my own country) and i didnt understand what the prupose of it was. i weent to our own DMV, tried ti verify my license number and couldnt unless i was a police officer. i think if your friend wants to be verified, then they have to trust LL with the info. after all, LL has a responsibility to handle all collected information such as PP numbers, CC numbers very seriously and with great care...................just do it,!

Tateru Nino wrote:

Depending on which country you live in, it may be unlawful for you to send identifying information to a foreign party - for example, your drivers' license number, passport number or national ID number/SSN. These numbers are, in every case that I'm aware of, not a part of publicly-accessible records, and can't be verified in any case. (Exception, SSNs appear next to other personally identifying data in USA voter lists that
are
publicly accessible records).

Well, the person the OP referred to has already sent such information, so that's a mute point as far as the original question.  The poster I replyed to was giving the advice to send frivilous information to LL.  I merely stated that sending such information would not achieve the desired result of the OP, which is to gain some type of access to SL they don't currently have.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.