It’s time to list Mesh Items on Marketplace

Charlar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(Cross posted here and the merchants forum)

Hi all,

As many of you may know, today Mesh was deployed to the entire grid, and an updated Second Life Viewer was released.  

What does this mean to Merchants?  If you are certified to upload mesh content, you should now feel free to list mesh-based items for sale on the Marketplace. (You can mark items as partially or fully mesh when editing a Marketplace listing.)

We’re very interested in getting feedback from Merchants who are selling mesh objects, and hearing about additional mesh support your customers would like to see on the Marketplace.  Based on that information, we will be working with the Mesh Team to determine what improvements we can make.
Brooke (& Charlar)
  • Like 2

Umm, actually Blue Steel regions are still not mesh enabled, but I hope that will get fixed tomorrow.

My mesh avatar has been on sale for a while now for skin makers, animators, and clothing makers to use as a template, and I have had no complaints.  I put plenty of information on needing the right kind of viewer in the description.  If there's anything other people would like to see added to the customer info, let me know, or make comments here:

Full Body Mesh Avatar on the SL Marketplace

Lindens, it's time to take out 1.23. Kill it with fire. Viewer 2 is awkward, but it does the job. Plenty of us have been building with it for a long time, gotten used to it, and are glad mesh is now part of the new Viewer 3. We look forward to improvements, but aren't clinging to hoary old 1.23. Adherents to 1.23, you are missing out on a lot of things other than mesh. Get over it.

Rusalka Writer wrote:

Lindens, it's time to take out 1.23. Kill it with fire.

Don't you dare.

Adherents to 1.23, you are missing out on a lot of things other than mesh. Get over it.

If you want to sell mesh items, be ready for a flood of customer complaints. That won't change until LL creates a usable alternative interface for the abomination that is viewer 2. It's up to them, not us. Get over it.

Crim Mip wrote:

I hope all the creators who'll be rushing to put mesh stuff up for sale know that only a small percentage of SL users will be able to see it currently.

I'm quite aware of it.  But there is a need for builder resources, such as an avatar with skin templates.  Then artists who are much better than I am can start making skins, after which regular residents will have a reason to upgrade.  Right now there is little to see, so no reason for most people to upgrade yet.  In fluid hydraulics terms, content creators leading the way is called "priming the pump".

Rusalka Writer wrote:

Lindens, it's time to take out 1.23. Kill it with fire. Viewer 2 is awkward, but it does the job. Plenty of us have been building with it for a long time, gotten used to it, and are glad mesh is now part of the new Viewer 3. We look forward to improvements, but aren't clinging to hoary old 1.23. Adherents to 1.23, you are missing out on a lot of things other than mesh. Get over it.

Have fun and enjoy your buggy new SL but, don't force those of us who are quite fine with "missing out" to the inferior piece of software known as v2. Did you happen to catch Rodvik's SLCC 11 keynote Q&A? Even he had to admit that v2 STILL has a long way to go before a majority of residents will adopt it.

My question is why do you care? If I want to live with Snowglobe, Phoenix, Imprudence or whatever, how the hell is that impacting you? Misery loves company?

I'll make a deal with you; when you pay my membership fees then you get a say in how I use SL, how's that? Now you get over it...

They've been working on that for a long time. Heard of web profiles and the new search?

I don't expect Linden Lab to announce which third-party-viewers can see Mesh objects, though since everything is mesh anyway, as far as the graphics engine is concerned, I reckon there could be a v1.23-based viewer that can show Mesh objects.

I've better things to do than struggle with the current Linden Lab UI.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.