Postcards from heaven

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Cape May, New Jersey.  I was here.  I photographed this same house and the same wicker set too, but mine are way better and more still life and "arty". This might look like a sleeping town, but in the Summer, man do they party, and the musicians are great, too!  Great night life here also, though you'd never think it.  Very talented musicians; we had a wonderful time!  It's so green everywhere too in New Jersey; it's very beautiful. 

capemay.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayalily wrote:

Probably somewhere with Victorian homes, but the weather would have to be right.  I'd pick Eureka, California or Cape May, New Jersey.  There are lots of Victorian homes in California.  It is beautiful here!   This was taken in Eureka, California. 

Wow, not too many forum pics from Eureka :-). Have you ever been to Ferndale? Down 101 a few miles and across the bridge. Lovely town, almost all of the center is Victorian. It was the town where the movie 'Outbreak' was filmed.

But the weather is definitely an issue. Lots of rain October thru maybe April or May. And the summers are not at all summerlike. People from the Central Valley (where it's like 100 degrees) go to Eureka to cool off. I remember hearing a weather report (not kidding here) for a day in mid-July. The high in Eureka was 68 degrees (okay I don't remember the exact temp but it was high sixties). Warmest July XXth in recorded Eureka history.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

galaxy-space-smaller.jpg

I'd go...anywhere out there...

You're not helping. I planned on commenting to some pictures and then posting another of my own, but now this just popped up. I hadn't even thought of that, but yes.

There's a cluster on the right of the picture that's a bit below the string of those that form the upper arm. If you look to the right of that cluster you'll see one fairly bright red star; go straight down from there and just a bit to the left. There is what appears to be a paired red and yellow. Trantor circles that yellow star. The Mule and his legions are on the way.

avenue-of-the-giants-redwoods.jpg

If you go a bit further south after leaving Ferndale you'll be here. The picture really doesn't do it justice; you have to actually be there. Those are the redwoods of northern California. Not the Giant Redwoods of the central Sierra but a slightly different breed: sequoia sempervirens. It's not just that the trees are big (yes, that is a regular two-lane highway); it's the feeling you get when you're there. You are almost never in direct sunlight; it's all filtered through the trees. Ferns everywhere. Silence. When you get out of your car and walk out among the trees you enter an entirely different world. The best description I ever heard was, "It's almost like being underwater".

If you come to California and have time to go only one place—go here. There is nothing like this anywhere else on the planet.

Parhelion Palou wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

What are the chances of getting brain-eating amoebas? Ew 

The odds are low, but three people have died in the U.S. this year from exposure to brain-eating amoebas. They were in Florida, Louisiana, and Virginia.

you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning..wearing a nose plug  when swiming stops them from entering..

it's killed like only 115 in the past 50 years...the chances are 0 to 8 a year meaning it doesn't happen every year..

also it happens mostly from jumping in warm water and having water rush up your nose..

i swim in our creek at least 3 to 5 times a week if not more..it's shallow cool water..i don't wear a nose plug..

the man from new oleans died from using a neti pot and the omeba was found in his water heater and also in his shower head..

so it's pretty rare

I know but I love Victorian homes and early Americana.  I have photographed Victorian homes all over California, but with free pictures on the internet, people hardly buy photography books anymore.  Some people have told me it's almost impossible to get a book published these days, unless you try to publish your own.  So my photos just sit for me to enjoy them, though they have a more close-up feel to them and I tried to capture the soul and essence of the home more than anything, such as fragile lace curtains blowing thru the magnificent windows.  My favorite photo that I ever took was of a giant Victorian home in the middle of central California that had a clothes line with long john underwear blowing in the breeze on the clothes line.  It was a photo that looked like something from 100 years ago, and nothing had changed.  I haven't been to Ferndale yet.  And, even though some of these towns might look boring or like a completely sleepy town, they sure party like it's 1999 in those places once it turns twilight!  If you ever get a chance Dillon, the Apple Farm is an amazing bed and breakfast Victorian town with a horse and buggy ride and the Apple Farm at Christmas time is just glorious with antique decorated Christmas trees everywhere; it's so pretty!

@ Celestial, my rl bf would love to go with you!  His dream is to see space.  He should have been an astronaut, but then again, NASA is scaling back and canceling programs now, so he'd be out of a job right now if he had trained in that field. 

As for nature, I'm kind of like Ishy, if I think there is going to be bad water, bugs or snakes, I'd rather go somewhere safe and have fun, plus I have a passion for great workmanship and antiques.  So, it's all good, except for snakes and brain-eating aomebas. 

ETA:  Aomebas, that reminds me of the little girl in the movie "Signs".  The little girl keeps refusing to drink water because she thinks the water has aomebas in it.  I never understood that part of the movie, 'til now. 

I'm cheating and mentioning a place I've been fortunate to visit, but when I saw the title of this thread I knew my answer was Charleston SC.  (me too Lynda!)

I went for the man, and fell in love with the city, (as well ;)  )  The people are some of the most gracious and lovely I've met anywhere.  I'm a texture freak, I swear I wanted to lick the walls of some of the old buildings I saw.  I'd give anything to TP there in RL!! 

IMG_2762_post.jpg

IMG_2788_post.jpg

IMG_2921_post.jpg

The nearby beaches are so beautiful, they go on for days and days.....

IMG_289_post.jpg

And the food.  Can I talk about the food? Okay I'll spare you, but I've never had better fried chicken in my life.    

IMG_2926_post.jpg

As far as places I've not been, New York city is in my top five.  I'm an urban girl and have never been to New York! 

new-york-city-skyline.jpg

Beautiful, especially the ocean shot.  I love the sandcastle art that they do in California.  It's all done by hand, then they take photos of the finished sandcastle art, and then it just washes out to sea never to return again.  It's amazing!  The Pacific Ocean is so blue.  I found when I went to the Atlantic, the water looked a little more greyish in color or more like grey-blue than the deep blue of the Pacific Ocean.   When I photographed the Atlantic Ocean, I decided to do it in black and white with high contrast because the ocean had too much of a grey tone to it, so to get contrast, I went black and white. 

mermaid.jpg

The Atlantic ocean looked more like the below photo, so I went high contrast black and white.  Photo:  Long Beach Island below.

Long-Beach-New-Jersey1 copy_edited-1.jpg

Tnank you all for posting  You are bringing dream in thids lousy world

@ stom, tnans for posting the twin towers. I agree with Keli, whis could be in' crying thread....

@ Venus Wisconsin is the only place I know well ,in the US. Franks Lloyd Wright's native state. I was lucky to visit his home, Taliesin. Did you read the book 'LOVING FRANK"? oh my, such a beautiful and tragic true story.

The English Lake District is somewhere I'd love to go

Buttermere Lake, English Lake DistrictButtermere, English Lake District.jpg

Crummock Water, English Lake District

Crummock Water_English Lake District.jpg

I'm cheating with this one because I have seen Eilean Donan castle in Scotland but only from a very far distance but I'd like to go back for a closer view.

Eilean Donan castle Scotland.jpg

P.S. Hope you're better soon Valerie.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.