Political Billboards on Mainland

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But i have a Palestinian flag hanging from my SLRR station platform. Don't tell me that is NOT endangered by an overly-broad interpretation of these rules.

Thank you. I was going to bring up that example last night.

• Like 1

Somehow, I feel like we should all be able to notice the subtle difference between a national flag or a pride flag, and an 30 foot tall, fullbright billboard that can be seen from multiple regions away.

Edited by Honey Puddles
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Honey Puddles said:

Somehow, I feel like we should all be able to notice the subtle difference between a national flag, and an 30 foot tall, fullbright billboard that can be seen from multiple regions away.

The issue isn't that the two are the same. The issue is that the rules as written apply to either neither or both, due to how vague they are.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Yeah, that. We'd have to start banning virtually all flags everywhere. One of my three flags on my pier is a US flag- that's absolutely political, it'd have to go, too.

The Ukrainian flag is really easy to make out of prims. =]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The words are "In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements."

NOT "In addition, ad farms or networked advertisements must comply."

To be clear, I'm not making an argument to take down these signs. I think they're ugly and really dumb, but that's neither here nor there: I don't much care, and I'd rather we permit ugly and really dumb than that the ban is too sweeping.

My point is that the written regulation is not as specific as you are suggesting.

Yes but they don't need to add that clarification because the context for the rules are given in the name of the Policy being quoted from "Policy on ad farms and network advertisers".

What I find weird is that the rules as written appear to ban Landlords with more than 50 empty parcels advertising their for sale parcels on the parcels that are for sale as these will be networked and that there is a general rating restriction even in Zindra.

Neither of which are enforced, and if they were would ruin some of the big businesses that keep Zindra running. The rules have been written in a way that makes them seem ignorant of the way mainland works.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

Bellisseria has this in the Covenant

"*Activities and/or displaying items that could be construed by Linden Lab as political campaigning is not permitted in Bellisseria."

(Note formatting for that section is messed up- but it is there in the code)

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#Linden_Homes_Covenant

My memory is when that was added to get yard signs removed from Bellisseria it was in the context of if you want yard signs get a mainland parcel where that is allowed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If you see a difference between displaying a pro-Ukraine flag and a pro-Palestine flag in Second Life, then I question your impartiality; perhaps your politics is stronger than your judgment.

Possibly clarity is lost beyond displaying pro-Nazi and pro-Confederate (US) flags in Second Life.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Bellisseria has this in the Covenant

"*Activities and/or displaying items that could be construed by Linden Lab as political campaigning is not permitted in Bellisseria."

(Note formatting for that section is messed up- but it is there in the code)

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019#Linden_Homes_Covenant

My memory is when that was added to get yard signs removed from Bellisseria it was in the context of if you want yard signs get a mainland parcel where that is allowed.

I like that it spells out "campaigning", which disambiguates from "ads".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anastasia Loxingly said:

Saw a massive Pro-Kamala billboard floating over a marina while I was doing a Grid Drive the other day, I didn't report it but it just made me sigh. As someone who isn't American and does not want to hear both sides screeching and squawking at each other any more than I have to, I just can't  seem to escape it at all. It really comes off as deranged, like I went shopping for Dinkie stuff and one store killed the complete cutesy vibes with anti-trump seething plastered everywhere. Why make your own store like that?

People advertise their political allegiances because they feel strongly about it.

They will think they have a good reason to, I can think of any number of good reasons why their personal experience might be such that they want to and may even feel it inecessary. Eg. perhaps they or someone they know has had a miscarriage and been treated as a criminal for it

13 hours ago, Ksenia Elcano said:

Quote the specific guidelines that you believe forbid the Kamunism and Trump 2024 signs.

Actually, there is at least one way in which these signs violate the rules quite directly. I haven't seen them in person, but if you look at Coffee's pic of them, which includes an avatar to give a sense of scale . . .

17 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Moderator redacted image of enormous political signs

FULL BRIGHT TOOO

. . . these signs are WAY larger than the 8m from the ground that the rules stipulate.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, there is at least one way in which these signs violate the rules quite directly. I haven't seen them in person, but if you look at Coffee's pic of them, which includes an avatar to give a sense of scale . . .

. . . these signs are WAY larger than the 8m from the ground that the rules stipulate.

I think you are referencing rules for networked advertising that don't apply.

I would argue it is the context of it overlooking a COVID memorial garden and that they appear to be a response to that which makes them harassment and reportable on those grounds.

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I think you are referencing rules for networked advertising that don't apply.

That just isn't the way that normal English works. It should specify that the additional rules apply only to networked ads. So it's either poorly written, or the additional rules apply to ALL advertisements.

Suppose it read, "Brown dogs must be on a leash." And this was followed by "Dogs must in addition abide by the following rules."

Would you read that and assume that the second part only refers to "brown dogs"?

In any case, this just highlights my point that these rules are enormously vague and ambiguous.

4 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I would argue it is the context of it overlooking a COVID memorial garden and that they appear to be a response to that which makes them harassment and reportable on those grounds.

This I think is a valid argument to make.

Maybe we should just ask for a clarification.

@Quartz Mole and @Dyna Mole, would you be able to find a clear answer for us as to whether or not the second part of these rules apply to all advertisements, or just to networked ads / ad farms? It would be appreciated, and save a lot of typing.

If you operate a networked advertising business on the mainland that breaks any one of the following rules or restrictions, we will consider it to be a Terms of Service violation leading to disciplinary action that can include account suspension and loss of land.

• No more than fifty (50) locations containing advertising on the mainland may be owned and/or operated by any single individual or organization, whether through a personal account or a group account, unless you have obtained written permission from Linden Lab to exceed this limit.
  • No more than one advertisement is permitted by any single individual or organization (whether through a personal account or a group account) in any single region.
  • You should consider an "advertisement," as we’re using the term here, to be the common understanding of that term, including any content that explicitly promotes any space, good or service (whether in Second Life or elsewhere).

In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

• They must be grounded to the terrain, not floating.
  • They must extend no higher than 8 m from the ground.
  • They must contain no rotating or flashing content and no particles.
  • They must not dispense unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content.
  • They must emit no light sources or glow (full bright is acceptable).
  • Advertising hoardings must be Phantom.
  • Ad content must be clearly Parcel lght G.png General in nature.
  • Ads must not contain sound or temp-on-rez content.
  • Ad content may not be political in nature.
  • Ban lines should be switched off.

All advertisers must make a reasonable attempt to fit in with the local area and to respect the wishes of Residents living nearby wherever possible. Linden Lab can and will, at its sole discretion, ask you to remove or modify unacceptable advertising-related content. If you use alternate accounts, groups or other methods to attempt to create a networked advertising business that extends over 50 placements without express permission from Linden Lab, you will be asked to remove them.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WeFlossDaily said:

Does LL consider soviet imagery evocative of the red flag of the USSR to be hate-speech?

Not as such, no. Several griefer groups use it, and it was a signature of Woodbury University, which was banned but not for that.

11 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

It would be a hard call to make, considering it is election time.  Plus, automatically associating Trump with anti-LGBT views, as well as Covid denial (I'm assuming) would be problematic because of how shifty his views can be.  That is the problem with it all, he is a greasy weasel, trying to catch him on anything is just going to result in him slipping out of your hands.

I think you are over analysing it. The context of the large political attack Ads is adjacent to a memorial garden, a place intended for people to show respect for departed loved ones. 

The neighbours reasons for spoiling that space with their political signage clearly disrespectful, tasteless and intended to cause grief. It is harassment.

• Like 1

Not to get all devil's advocate, but if those signs are okay, could I not make a covid memorial and lgbt garden as a "giant F-you" to the signs? Is it a matter of who was there first in some cases? (Note: I'm granting you that the signs came second in your case; I'm more just posing a hypothetical.)

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I think you are over analysing it. The context of the large political attack Ads is adjacent to a memorial garden, a place intended for people to show respect for departed loved ones. 

The neighbours reasons for spoiling that space with their political signage clearly disrespectful, tasteless and intended to cause grief. It is harassment.

I guess I could be, or it could likewise be the other way, people could be over analyzing the signs to represent something they were not intended to represent.  That is the crazy thing of it all, we don't know the intent of the person who put them up.  What to you and I seems to be rather rude, and obnoxious, might not be to them. 

I don't know Aethelwine, I'm not trying to be a contradictory, I'm not supporting the signs, I just think sometimes we all need to take a step back and try to understand things from other people's perspective. 

Edit:
Ultimately, it is in the hands of LL, thankfully.  This is their ordeal to go through. 

Edited by Istelathis