PBR in Second Life

1 minute ago, Salt Peppermint said:
33 minutes ago, Cynite00 said:

That being said, that is probably a professional render from the 3d package, rather than shots from inworld - which is another peeve of mine.

These are absolutely raw shots from SL cause I made them. I made all these items and I shot these raw shots. So no, these are no renders at all

Want!  What's the name of your store?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Salt Peppermint said:

They are, this is my latest release. All items made by me from scratch and raw shots straight from SL. Feel free to try the demo 

Thank you, they look brilliant. I will. I looked on the MP for your name, and couldn't find it -- is this only available in-world?

To judge from these images, this may be the best PBR I've seen yet in SL.

ETA: Found the store! Pretty sure I own some of your stuff. But this isn't on the MP, so I'll check in-world. Or is it at an event?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Want!  What's the name of your store?

Salt & Pepper and the release it at the dog & pony show 

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thank you, they look brilliant. I will. I looked on the MP for your name, and couldn't find it -- is this only available in-world?

To judge from these images, this may be the best PBR I've seen yet in SL.

Not on MP ( latest release are not in mp yet), this is inworld at the dog and pony show event. My name on MP is the same as here ( and inworld ) the store is Salt & Pepper 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

They have PBR dogs, ponies, and other animals now?

I can not speak for other creators at the event. I know many still release with legacy textures , some do both. Personally I switched to PBR only. It’s an event full of different creators, I made „just“ the western rider set but the others are definitely worth to checkout !

1 minute ago, Salt Peppermint said:
9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

They have PBR dogs, ponies, and other animals now?

I can not speak for other creators at the event. I know many still release with legacy textures , some do both. Personally I switched to PBR only. It’s an event full of different creators, I made „just“ the western rider set but the others are definitely worth to checkout !

Sorry,  I was trying to ask if the "dog and pony show" had animals, literally 🙂 and if some of them happen to be PBR!

Or, if "dog and pony show" was a name chosen because it means essentially, "showing something off" (ironically, usually NOT meant as a good thing).

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sorry,  I was trying to ask if the "dog and pony show" had animals, literally 🙂 and if some of them happen to be PBR!

Or, if "dog and pony show" was a name chosen because it means essentially, "showing something off" (ironically, usually NOT meant as a good thing).

Ah sorry I misunderstood your question. Yes they absolutely have dogs and horses , that’s actually the main part of that event and everything else themed around it , hence a few rider outfits and accessories too . I just don’t know how many or if some of the horses are already PBR , I didn’t get to check others out yet and the event is not small ❤️

Edited by Salt Peppermint
Edit: I hate autocorrect

2 hours ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I absolutely disagree.

Most of your response is just a regurgitation of the most widely embraced ideologies of the status quo in relation to this topic.

With all due respect, you are completely wrong. PBR vs Blinn Phong is considered net neutral by the gaming industry for the most part. That's because the performance bump from blinn phong is negligible. Most modern games use PBR. It takes a quick google search to find this information out. Just because the /viewer/ you chose to use did not work properly doesn't not mean PBR is bad. It's not a regurgitation. Salt has been in Second Life for a long time, she's been a creator for a long time. Many creators have been talking to LL and working with them for months on PBR. LL has admitted that both they and Firestorm had issues with their release. Meaning they know there are performance issues, that's not PBR, it's their implementation of PBR.

1 hour ago, Cynite00 said:

That is a good example. Looks good. I'm just not seeing this consistently inworld or in people's pictures.
That being said, that is probably a professional render from the 3d package, rather than shots from inworld - which is another peeve of mine.

Clearly, you aren't looking around very much - which is obvious given you don't know who that is. That's Salt Peppermint from Salt and Pepper. They have been on Second Life for a very long time. She's an amazing 3d artist and an asset to the creator community as a whole. Also, I've seen tons of non-shiny PBR stuff. I haven't even made something 'shiny' myself. I have been using PBR to make fabric look real and have texture... not to make it shiny. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WeFlossDaily said:

This is oxymoronic.

I'm okej to not use either one. =]

Name a few.

Should be easy to name a few off the top of your head then.

I have 5 installed. 1 PBR. 1 Hybrid. 2 pre-PBR. 1 text-only. Firestorm isn't one of them. =]

I suggest you provide evidence to prove this or provide a line of reasoning that supports this vague declarative statement.

If you read the rest of the thread you'll see that I attempted to meet her half-way. I should also add that the length of time somebody has been doing somebody does not automatically mean they are correct about anything.

So let me get this straight. I am wrong about something because you said so.

Okej . . .

Oh you are a creator. Figures.

I know where this goes my friend, back away slowly or it will be a battle of egos. 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Really???? These are shots of you?

/me looks a bit doubtful

I was sent the demo of that outfit and it does look exactly as shown in her pictures.  I do use an appropriate EEP which is basically neutral lighting.  This outfit does PBR correctly as opposed to the sequin dress I showed awhile back.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Princess Evergarden said:

Clearly, you aren't looking around very much - which is obvious given you don't know who that is. That's Salt Peppermint from Salt and Pepper. They have been on Second Life for a very long time. She's an amazing 3d artist and an asset to the creator community as a whole. Also, I've seen tons of non-shiny PBR stuff. I haven't even made something 'shiny' myself. I have been using PBR to make fabric look real and have texture... not to make it shiny. 

Thanks for joining the forums and making me your first reply post

Edited by Cynite00

46 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I was sent the demo of that outfit and it does look exactly as shown in her pictures.  I do use an appropriate EEP which is basically neutral lighting.  This outfit does PBR correctly as opposed to the sequin dress I showed awhile back.  

Yep. I haven't tried it yet, and intend to tonight, but I'm convinced. It looks very good.

I can vouch for Salt Peppermint and her work. She does everything from start to finish, is quick to learn new things, and still have time to help any creator or customer. She's the real deal. All you have to do is go to her YouTube channel. She has posted several videos where you can watch her creating. I have a great respect for her because she works hard, and it shows. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WeFlossDaily said:

I think many creators are pushing PBR for questionable reasons with the primary goal of making a profit.

Isn't the primary goal of selling anything to make a profit? While I think PBR does not need to be added to every single thing, a lot of people are looking for items that take advantage of the improved materials and merchants are responding to that. That is just smart business. What I do think is unwise, however, are creators who are not adding fallback materials to their PBR items.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WeFlossDaily said:

I think many creators are pushing PBR for questionable reasons with the primary goal of making a profit.

You do not speak for the masses, nor any creator.   If you are going to throw out toxic blanket statements please at least be informed, or coming from a position of knowledge.  Otherwise, it appears like some you are continuing with the strange vendetta you keep inserting into every thread since you have not been able to use PBR.  I thought we had progressed to you have your own special thread to contain that.  And that is the questionable behaviour here as it's not in keeping with the spirit of the community guidelines..   Stereotyping is not the way here.

For example, as you blanketed me in with that statement, so let me respond for this one creator to improve your knowledge which may help you seek more perspectives so you do not stereotype going forward.

If think my testing, bug raising, sharing, helping, supporting folk since Quarter 4 2023 on PBR, and efforts are for questionable reasons and linked to profit? I can explicitly tell you it is not.  It's is ACTUALLY about learning new things, tinkering with how far or what are appropriate limitations, being creative and seeing what best practices could look like within the known "sandbox" way things are implemented in SL.     Profit my goodness.  I earn more in 1 day  in my RL job that I do with one SL release (and I sell a lot) so you know my motivations are creative not monetary.

Let's try to be more ethical in these discussions please.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WeFlossDaily said:

How dare people...

*Checks notes*

Receive financial compensation for their hard work.

Come on, of all the takes you've had on PBR this might be the most insulting. Artists deserve to be paid. If PBR items are selling (and I can tell you, they are selling like hotcakes) then creators have solid incentive to spend their time making new things. That's a good thing for Second Life as a whole.

You've already made your position on PBR itself clear. Nobody here is gonna convince you otherwise. You don't need to reply to every thread about PBR to keep trying to put creators down.

If you actually want to help, test the official viewer, send feedback on performance, get involved in a constructive way. If you aren't interested in helping or using PBR at all, Firestorm is allowing their last non-PBR build to be used indefinitely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3