Inconvenient Truths about Second Life

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Hey!! Some squirrels are pretty exceptional!! \o/

In fact some are just masterminds that defeat many many humans and their bird feeder protection attempts at keeping squirrels out of the feed.

hehehe

I put up a birdfeeder specifically to attract squirrels. It keeps my dogs from being bored when they are home alone 😬

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Inconvenient truth: we can find absolutely anything in Second Life except the very thing we're actually looking for!

From my experience, when you don’t want it, its everywhere, and when you do want it, you can’t find anywhere 😬

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Most female avis are actually men. 

I'm very curious about where people get 'most' from. 

Is it projection, perhaps?

really-what.gif

• Thanks 6

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It is okay unless they lie to you about it.

are they male avis in drag pretending to be women? 

otherwise, whats the problem?

might be time to start yet another thread about people pesenting as other than what they are in RL 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Most female avis are actually men. 

IT IS more fun to be in a female AV!!! We don't have to stare at a man all the time. Lots more choices in clothing too. It's not as much fun with Slex though.

I find it interesting...

We have some ancient info from LL, that 55% of their paying customers were women, based on the names on the credit cards, we have the claim that SL is LGBT+ friendly, and yet, we have the same old same old, over and over again.

"Lesbians don't exist, almost all female avis are men in drag with teh gay!"

So what are those 55% of the customers playing then, male avis ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I find it interesting...

We have some ancient info from LL, that 55% of their paying customers were women, based on the names on the credit cards, we have the claim that SL is LGBT+ friendly, and yet, we have the same old same old, over and over again.

I just assume she's being hyperbolic as a form of humor, and so not being literal when she says most women in 2nd life are actually men in 1st life.

We do have a high number of men presenting as women in SL, but like you, I don't believe it's anywhere near "most".

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

It is okay unless they lie to you about it.

are they male avis in drag pretending to be women? 

otherwise, whats the problem?

I think I 'play' my SL a bit differently than you do, and that's fine, not saying you should be different. And when I make a statement like I did I was referring to how *I* play SL -- I don't want people to lie to me.

I tend to be real and develop real friendships where we share real stuff. I wouldn't want to talk about feminine stuff, all the reproductive stuff,  for example, with a man (unless I knew them reallly well...like a partner).

And I know some who, if they do develop a real friendship, just prefer that the person be (in 1st Life) the gender they're most comfortable with.

I think we can, at the beginning of any acquaintance here, make these preferences known so there's no hard feelings. We can discover then if someone's mainly playing a game here/role playing, or whether they're being real.

I really don't even need to know gender information unless I'm getting particularly close to someone, and usually, by then, I already know without anybody saying anything via our discussions.

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I just assume she's being hyperbolic as a form of humor, and so not being literal when she says most women in 2nd life are actually men in 1st life.

We do have a high number of men presenting as women in SL, but like you, I don't believe it's anywhere near "most".

This IS an interesting question. It really only matters if a relationship could go from SL to RL though. Otherwise, it's simply a matter of demographics and targeting...to increase income for LL. Which IS fair. Lets face it. LL makes money, and we exist as AV's. They lose money, we stop existing.

On 8/19/2024 at 10:44 PM, Paul Hexem said:

You're not entirely wrong. I'll ask, though... How many times have we seen threads locked due to the forum rules being broken, yet the users that caused the thread to be locked left free to move on to the next?

Don't answer that, just something to think about. We risk breaking the rules as is. DM me if you have to.

Inconvenient truth - How many threads which lasted more then a page, did not break one of the many community guidelines for the forum? 

Another inconvenient truth is that it is most often the ones complaining of a thread having going off-topic stand the guiltiest of taking it off topic in telling everybody about it.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
grammar

26 minutes ago, SandorWren said:
38 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This IS an interesting question. It really only matters if a relationship could go from SL to RL though. Otherwise, it's simply a matter of demographics and targeting...to increase income for LL. Which IS fair. Lets face it. LL makes money, and we exist as AV's. They lose money, we stop existing.

I think it's just a way to make a joke that most understand, and accurate demographics have nothing to do with this.

We connect and laugh...in any community...via the sometimes unusual things about our place of residence via truths we've discovered along the way. And one truth is that there's an awful lot of men playing women in this place.

It's a bit like me making the joke, related to how everybody makes body parts bigger here..."SL is the Texas of virtual worlds".  Well we know (those who live in the US and especially those who live near Texas) that quite a few who live there pride themselves on the size of things, and take pride in being bigger, and even advertise the fact. Not all do, by any means, but it's enough of a phenomenon that we can make a joke about it and many understand and laugh about it.

Anyway, so when I hear someone say "most women in 2nd life are men here" I laugh because I know it's a quite common feature of 2nd life, and I don't take it literally.  But I dunno, could be Ingrid actually believes that based on her direct experience, but I've heard others say it and they weren't being literal and were only making a joke.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I find it interesting...

Me too.

If anyone knows of any current reliable source concerning RL demographics, please share. Also... how do different demographic groups map into avatar demographics? I suggest everything we think we know is anecdotal.

Lately, I have been  watching Jenny Nicholson videos (the 4 hour one on the now closed Star Wars Hotel is impressive).  In a review of Ready Player One, the movie, she makes a passing remark about someone whose avatar is "way more embarrassing and uncool than he looks in real life" and continues "which I feel is opposite of the intent of an avatar". I agree. I believe most avatars are  aspirational.

21 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

It really only matters if a relationship could go from SL to RL though.

Not absolutely sure what you're implying here, but I'm saying it does matter to me if  I become close to someone (knowing the 1st life gender of someone), and I'd expect them to answer honestly.  It might not to you, it might not matter to most of the people in SL, but it does matter to me and that should be respected.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Not absolutely what you're saying here, but I'm saying it does matter to me if I become close to someone (knowing the 1st life gender of someone), and I'd expect them to answer honestly.  It might not to you, it might not matter to most of the people in SL, but it does matter to me and that should be respected.

This is where there is a fine line. 

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I find it interesting...

You think the wokerati in here (yea you Luna) would be delighted that so many people are able to express their inner gender feelings free from societal restraints, but noooo they demand everyone admit their real life sex organs.

And here I thought gender was not binary but was a spectrum 😂

12 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You think the wokerati in here (yea you Luna) would be delighted that so many people are able to express their inner gender feelings free from societal restraints, but noooo they demand everyone admit their real life sex organs.

And here I thought gender was not binary but was a spectrum 😂

Gender is far more than sex organs. We have life experiences and develop an identity related to our gender that affects how we relate to others. I do have some male friends but I prefer relating to women -- they understand me more and I understand them.

I'm happy that people have the opportunity to experience all sorts of realities in 2nd life that would be impossible in 1st.  It's just not how I relate or what I want in my 2nd life.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Inconvenient truth - How many threads which lasted more then a page, did not break one of the many community guidelines for the forum? 

Another inconvenient truth is that it is most often the ones complaining of a thread having going off-topic stand the guiltiest of taking it off topic in telling everybody about it.

Off topic is another, different problem entirely.

Just now, Paul Hexem said:

Off topic is another, different problem entirely.

Inconvenient Truth: There's no such thing as "Off-Topic" WITHIN Second Life, unless someone is OOC in a RP situation.

But IMHO, you can tell when "off topic" is "ok", and when it's "not ok" for Forums. YMMV. 

I did write just now, "in MY humble OPINION", for those who love finding fault. 🙂