Inconvenient Truths about Second Life

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Anastasia Loxingly said:
24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If only we could "heal" people in Second Life through the original Biblical meaning of "judging"!  That would be cool.

I'll settle for "healing" people in Second Life by smacking them in the head with a bible.

Inconvenient Truth: In Second Life, unless your weapon is made of "Mesh" or a "Sculptie", it's made of Prims - probably made of "Wood" - and you could give someone a nasty splinter!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Oopsie, Truth not Fact.
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

And what, a woman wakes up one day, logs into SL, and without any preconceptions decides "hey, I think I'll make my butt the size of Wisconsin today".

An American "mom" who is a retired US Military veteran with a Purple Heart, who likes fantasy cosplay, and firing enormous rifles, while having her enormous butt jiggle from the recoil videoed in slow motion?

https://www.youtube.com/@valkyrie40k/featured

I suspect if she did join SL, she'd wear a reborn with the sliders maxed, dress in fantasy skankwear, and carry a .50 cal BMG rifle.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

how is a subscription service different from being premium?

Not different at all, but there is no guarantee that they will use existing premium branding, or even put it in the same package as premium. Doing so would be optimal as far as marketing goes, but it would also mean not being able to extract as much revenue.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

how is a subscription service different from being premium?

Looking at IMVU's levels, an underage resident can be a VIP (Monthly fee) but not an Adult Pass (AP) until they are 18 and pay the one time Adult Access Pass fee of $15 

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

An American "mom" who is a retired US Military veteran with a Purple Heart, who likes fantasy cosplay, and firing enormous rifles, while having her enormous butt jiggle from the recoil videoed in slow motion?

I suspect if she did join SL, she'd wear a reborn with the sliders maxed, dress in fantasy skankwear, and carry a .50 cal BMG rifle.

Really unfair, Zali.

There's at least one part of that where it's her enormous boobs that are jiggling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Expand  

Really unfair, Zali.

There's at least one part of that where it's her enormous boobs that are jiggling.

Inconvenient Truth about Bodies in Second Life:

Sometimes "discussing jiggling" is just "discussing jiggling".  Like JELL-O.  It "jiggles".

Other times, it's "body shaming".

It's really up to the "reader" / others in the conversation to decide which it is, and whether they care.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Inconvenient Truth about Bodies in Second Life:

Sometimes "discussing jiggling" is just "discussing jiggling".  Like JELL-O.  It "jiggles".

It's really up to the "reader" / others in the conversation to decide which it is, and whether they care.

There is a distinction, of course.

On the whole, I don't tend to judge different bodies, unless it's quite clear that it's stepped over a line into parody and mockery, at which point "body shaming" becomes in fact a defence of people who don't fit the current paradigm for "shapely women's bodies."

In the video Zali shared, my own response has nothing to do with this woman's actual body type or shape, or even with her decision to show it off. What I find rather disturbing is the fact that she is has very clearly linked gun shooting with sexuality by using the former to make her "jiggle" in a way that is, I assume, supposed to drive good ol' boys mad with lust.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There is a distinction, of course.

On the whole, I don't tend to judge different bodies, unless it's quite clear that it's stepped over a line into parody and mockery, at which point "body shaming" becomes in fact a defence of people who don't fit the current paradigm for "shapely women's bodies."

In the video Zali shared, my own response has nothing to do with this woman's actual body type or shape, or even with her decision to show it off. What I find rather disturbing is the fact that she is has very clearly linked gun shooting with sexuality by using the former to make her "jiggle" in a way that is, I assume, supposed to drive good ol' boys mad with lust.

One issue with "distinctions" is, for example:

- Not everyone knows when "it's really just a joke meant in good fun" vs. "it's a mean-spirited joke"

- Not everyone knows when "it's serious"

- Not everyone is good for mining clues from context

I myself am caught up in the assumption that "you're always joking so you must be joking right now, or at least being sarcastic".

2 hours ago, BriannaLovey said:

Not different at all, but there is no guarantee that they will use existing premium branding, or even put it in the same package as premium. Doing so would be optimal as far as marketing goes, but it would also mean not being able to extract as much revenue.

oh so i can be premium, but ill have to pay a monthly fee to access adult content?

Bull*****

In Fashion related groups (and possibly others) someone --- multiple people--are going to ask for a LM to the store, to an event the store is in instead of looking in notices/at their tp history/search/online /any other resource.   If it's a weekend sales group someone is going to ask for the notecard, even if it's in the notices/on at least 3 different websites/there is a FB group all linked in the group description, notices regularly mentioned in group chat and in the group owner's profile and also multiple websites/flickr/facebook to find the info.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Look...

Idiot in SL: "Kupra? No human is shaped like that..."

Me: "Here's the web gallery of a woman who is kupra shaped, with her two kupra shaped friends, posing in lingerie for 18+ 'cheesecake'"

Idiot in SL: "No REAL woman would look like a reborn..."

Me: "Here's a real 'reborn' with a youtube channel dedicated to making her jello jiggle with heavy calibre ordinance..."

Idiot in SL: "No real person has shoulders like a Lara..."

Me: "Hold my beer, I'm loading google..."

And it's not just body shapes.

Some of these SL Idiots, will deny the existence of almost anything, that's outside their Californian Pay-2-Lose Yogi-The-Bear Ashram.

Idiot in SL: "Oh nobody would do that in RL..."

Me: "Welcome to England, it's quite common here, it's also popular in Germany..."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

.. Pew pew. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

SL is like the Texas of virtual worlds -- everything's bigger here!

Ego's included, most of the time too.
Not directed to you, but generally speaking.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:
19 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Inconvenient truth #234:

If all avatars were more realistically-sized, all houses and furniture could be 30% smaller, Land Impact use would almost be 50% lower, people could rez more *****, land would seem larger. Everyone would benefit so much if they would be more realistically-sized. But nooo, one avatar wants to be taller than the other, because: ego. But the other avatar won't have it, so they make themselves taller too. As a result, on average, everyone is taller. House and furniture makers have to make bigger things, forcing newbies to be taller too. Rince repeat.

Meanwhile, I get complaints from people with realistically-sized avatars: "That doorknob comes up to my shoulders. Now I have to resize it. Two stars."

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If all avatars were more realistically-sized, all houses and furniture could be 30% smaller, Land Impact use would almost be 50% lower, people could rez more *****, land would seem larger.

I assume "Tinies" already benefit from doing something like this.

Does making something "smaller" REALLY reduce its LI? That's news to me! 🙂

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Does making something "smaller" REALLY reduce its LI? That's news to me!

It does for a lot of things, but there are certain items where the LI actually starts to increase once it gets below a certain size due to the physics weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:
3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:
19 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Inconvenient truth #234:

If all avatars were more realistically-sized, all houses and furniture could be 30% smaller, Land Impact use would almost be 50% lower, people could rez more *****, land would seem larger. Everyone would benefit so much if they would be more realistically-sized. But nooo, one avatar wants to be taller than the other, because: ego. But the other avatar won't have it, so they make themselves taller too. As a result, on average, everyone is taller. House and furniture makers have to make bigger things, forcing newbies to be taller too. Rince repeat.

Meanwhile, I get complaints from people with realistically-sized avatars: "That doorknob comes up to my shoulders. Now I have to resize it. Two stars."

lol yeah I've gotten complaints about that...upset that the doorknob is way too high.

Personally I finally gave up and made my avatar a huge height -- I got sick of being so short compared to everyone else.

In 1st life my ex-husband went through severe trauma because he wasn't super tall. He was harassed mercilessly in school by the super-jocks so prevalent in the rural area where he grew up, with lasting damage to his psyche.

It's interesting to ponder how we came to see tall people as superior, especially men. And sending this unneeded aspect of socialization out the window would certainly benefit a lot of men who are condemned for being short.

16 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
20 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

And what, a woman wakes up one day, logs into SL, and without any preconceptions decides "hey, I think I'll make my butt the size of Wisconsin today".

I wonder if she cuddles with this gun pillow at night, and really this might be a marketing idea for a creator in SL...it is sorely needed:

gun pillow.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Personally I finally gave up and made my avatar a huge height -- I got sick of being so short compared to everyone else.

I just kept my avatar the same height and gave up hanging around with stupidly tall people.

No matter how much you conform some people will never truly accept you until you're just an inferior version of them (because, of course, if you become too like them they'll begin to see you as a threat to their individuality and accuse you of copying them).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:
37 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I just kept my avatar the same height and gave up hanging around with stupidly tall people.

No matter how much you conform some people will never truly accept you until you're just an inferior version of them (because, of course, if you become too like them they'll begin to see you as a threat to their individuality and accuse you of copying them).

Yeah so many weird dynamics around this...

It seems everybody around me these days (none of them exhibiting the dynamics you're describing, thankfully) is super tall (compared to 1st life).  It's rare these days that I come across someone who's a normal 1st life height.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

It does for a lot of things, but there are certain items where the LI actually starts to increase once it gets below a certain size due to the physics weight.

Made-up Inconvenient Truth: Tinies take up MORE LI because they are smaller!!! (ETA: They have greater mass!!!)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Teleporting into crowded places with a human-sized avatar can be awkward. Too many butts and crotches in face-height. 

Kind of peeved that LL reinforce this oversized standard with their Linden Homes, my male avi is 185 centimetres, my female ones are 167 and 169, being inside of a Linden Home makes me feel like a gnome. 

And, of course, because of the awkward default camera position looking down onto the avi from above, ceilings must be made tall for the already tall avatars. 

• Like 4

The SL average height is taller than the RL average height. Because of this buildings and furniture and decor etc are made for SL norms not RL norms. Therefore those whose avatars are closer to RL height (like mine) are outside the norm and have to adapt. 

I've heard this complaint about avatars being too tall for...I swear the entire 17 years I've been in SL and at this point people need accept that tall avatars are just going to continue to be the norm. 

Because if SL did something to change that norm it would mess up so many buildings and furniture etc that people who be more pissed off than than they are about PBR.

• Like 3