The End Of An Era and what was a wonderful, enlightened virtual world....

3 hours ago, Ventura Magic said:

Okay. So with the former engine it was running fine with ALM at me, at most places 50-60fps. With the recent optimizations the offical and firestorm PBR viewers are running fine too, when settings are "bare" (everything disabled except transparent water). But then probes aren't working, graphics are overcontrasted, etc.

If i enable the needed ones to make probes active, it's eating a lot of performance

What are the settings you think you need to "make probes active"?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 8:25 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, I'm sorry. I don't understand what you are trying to say here. This is essentially just a survey of Speedlight users? And it tells us that . . . 75% of them use Speedlight? Or some other mobile viewer?

I was simply pointing out that when given a choice, 75% of users choose to access via mobile.

Initially, when SpeedLight launched back in 2020, it was designed as a desktop browser viewer. We didn’t have a mobile version or any app at all. However, due to strong user demand for mobile functionality, we added mobile features.

8 minutes ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

We didn’t have a mobile version or any app at all. However, due to strong user demand for mobile functionality, we added mobile features.

The Mobile features go beyond just running Speedlight in the browser? I did not know that 🙂

Can you give a link or short list of what the mobile app features add to the browser version?

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The Mobile features go beyond just running Speedlight in the browser? I did not know that 🙂

Can you give a link or short list of what the mobile app features add to the browser version?

🙂 Now there isn't much beyond notifications and some additional caching of 3D objects and textures. However, I’m proud that one can log in to Second Life with SpeedLight from any device and enjoy a consistent experience.

As I mentioned before, SpeedLight was originally designed as a desktop Second Life viewer that ran in a browser, with the unique feature of keeping your avatar online even after closing the browser — though it was still primarily desktop-focused.

The mobile features we added include a specialized layout for phones, touch support, the ability to install it as an app from Google Play or the App Store, and notifications (which work slightly differently compared to the browser version).

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

I was simply pointing out that when given a choice, 75% of users choose to access via mobile.

Initially, when SpeedLight launched back in 2020, it was designed as a desktop browser viewer. We didn’t have a mobile version or any app at all. However, due to strong user demand for mobile functionality, we added mobile features.

Seventy-five percent of *what* users, though? People who use Speedlight to access SL? I struggle to believe that 75% of total SL users log in through Speedlight.

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No, they're right.

Rezzing speed is dependent on FPS.

Are you sure? That feels like a significant flaw in the viewer. Would that be because the viewer is still (what year is it in LL's offices?) single thread?

4 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Seventy-five percent of *what* users, though? People who use Speedlight to access SL? I struggle to believe that 75% of total SL users log in through Speedlight.

75% of SpeedLight users indeed.

75% of SpeedLight users use mobile devices, tho they could use SpeedLight on desktop. That's not statistics of whole SL, it just shows that residents tend to access SL from mobile.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No, they're right.

Rezzing speed is dependent on FPS.

I think there's a misunderstanding.

Rezzing speed does not depend on FPS. Rezzing is being done by sending a single command to SL server (or a set of commands). You can rez an object with zero FPS without any rendeder running at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glaznah Gassner said:

I think there's a misunderstanding.

Rezzing speed does not depend on FPS. Rezzing is being done by sending a single command to SL server (or a set of commands). You can rez an object with zero FPS without any rendeder running at all.

Rezzing as seen from a gui client - the fetching, processing and appearance of assets and textures, is inextricably tied to frame rate.

Making something appear on a region isn't bound by local conditions, a script cam spawn a prim .. but if there is no one to see it, who cares.

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Are you sure? That feels like a significant flaw in the viewer. Would that be because the viewer is still (what year is it in LL's offices?) single thread?

Yup .. and Yup.

Every frame is a loop. Stuff happens, requests are made, data is processed, the frame is drawn.

A flood of data to fetch and process  is why your frame rate tanks when entering a new location.

If your frame rate is limited by your GPU, then no processing can happen while waiting for the frame to draw.

This is something of a balancing act, yet the end result is the same. Slow rezzing. Slow frames.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Rezzing as seen from a gui client - the fetching, processing and appearance of assets and textures, is inextricably tied to frame rate.

Making something appear on a region isn't bound by local conditions, a script cam spawn a prim .. but if there is no one to see it, who cares.

Ah, you mean this kind of rezzing... the appearance of the existing objects when you teleport to the sim, right?

I was talking about rezzing a new object from inventory. This kind of rezzing happens in-world immediately, but definitely takes some time to appear back on viewer's screen (after loading mesh, textures etc).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Damn, I take a break from the forums, except for one quick question, and here we are again with the "SL IS DOOMED" thread. I love that no matter how long you take a break for....things never change 😂

'Tis a long Dooming. One cannot rush these things.

• Haha 1