FPS drop after updating Viewer

If your PC is ”too old” (5 years or more) or ”too weak” (no discrete GPU) to run the PBR renderer at decent frame rates, you can try the Cool VL Viewer: it got both the PBR renderer and the legacy ALM/forward renderer.

You will be able to choose which one to use, in real time (CTRL ALT P to toggle between them), depending on the circumstances (such as standing in a place where there is PBR stuff around, or not, for example) and/or on PC processing power vs the complexity of the scene to render.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My framerate got so bad (3-8), and nothing I did would fix it (change graphics levels, turn everything in the "Advanced" tab off, standing nakie on a big flat rock in the middle of a lake at midnight when there's a full moon out), I ended up completely uninstalling FS and deleting it's existence completely off my machine, then reinstalling it. I suggest this as a positively last resort, as returning my viewer settings back the way I had them has been a time consuming nightmare. But, when I walk into a club people are still dancing instead of turning into an oil painting.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2024 at 6:32 AM, TyVulpine Buccaneer said:

I was using an older version, and was regularly getting 100+ FPS, but today when I went to log on, got notice saying the viewer was out of date and I needed to update. Okay, updated and now my FPS is a mere 15-18 despite same settings. Help....

if by "same settings" you mean the graphics slider is set to the same position, you don't actually have the same settings, you quite possibly have a bunch of new graphics features turned on that are affecting the frame rate.

to turn these off - make sure "screen space reflections" and "mirrors" are un-ticked, set "reflection detail" to "static only" and set "reflection coverage" to "none" and you may hopefully see an improvement. 

I also had very bad frame rate just after installing the new viewer, but that seemed to be fixed by clearing the cache in Settings/Network & Files / Directories so it might be worth trying that.

unfortunately, if you were using the old viewer with Advanced Lighting Model (ALM) turned off, then you are going to see a fps reduction because it is no longer possible to turn off ALM in the new viewer.

Edited by filz Camino
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 2:30 AM, filz Camino said:

if by "same settings" you mean the graphics slider is set to the same position, you don't actually have the same settings, you quite possibly have a bunch of new graphics features turned on that are affecting the frame rate.

to turn these off - make sure "screen space reflections" and "mirrors" are un-ticked, set "reflection detail" to "static only" and set "reflection coverage" to "none" and you may hopefully see an improvement. 

I also had very bad frame rate just after installing the new viewer, but that seemed to be fixed by clearing the cache in Settings/Network & Files / Directories so it might be worth trying that.

unfortunately, if you were using the old viewer with Advanced Lighting Model (ALM) turned off, then you are going to see a fps reduction because it is no longer possible to turn off ALM in the new viewer.

I stepped back to a previous version, and that helps for now (back up to 60+ FPS). Someone in the Firestorm support suggested getting a dedicated graphics card (my 1.5 year old computer has an integrated card), so will look into that.

• 3 weeks later...

I was forced to install a newer version of Firestorm even though the dated version was stable and ran very well. Got fed up, installed 7.1.9 (74745) and had a horrendous experience despite having the following PC hardware:

i7-3700F
32gb Crucial DDR5-5600
RTX 4080
Samsung Evo 980

It was 100% not a hardware issue but either Firestorm messed up, or the base binaries provided by Linden was hot garbage. But neither did it help that Firestorm reps or devs in the inworld Firestorm support channel swore up and down that everything was alright even though my PC was struggling at 12FPS.

Went down one step to version 6.6.17 (70368) and everything was fine.

Just checked Firestorm's site and it appears that they made 6.6.17 (70368) unavailable for download. I don't know why they are so determined to jam a non-functioning client down our throats.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the one I'm using now. Only problem I have now is that if I'm in a large crowd, SL will crash on me. That kind of worries me because September is Medieval Month in Raglan Shire, my favorite time of the year in Raglan, and the contests tend to get a lot of people together for the contests (Golden Bow, Stabby Stabby (swordfighting tournament), and Joust).

5 hours ago, Davlos Karsin said:

I was forced to install a newer version of Firestorm even though the dated version was stable and ran very well. Got fed up, installed 7.1.9 (74745) and had a horrendous experience despite having the following PC hardware:

i7-3700F
32gb Crucial DDR5-5600
RTX 4080
Samsung Evo 980

It was 100% not a hardware issue but either Firestorm messed up, or the base binaries provided by Linden was hot garbage. But neither did it help that Firestorm reps or devs in the inworld Firestorm support channel swore up and down that everything was alright even though my PC was struggling at 12FPS.

Went down one step to version 6.6.17 (70368) and everything was fine.

Just checked Firestorm's site and it appears that they made 6.6.17 (70368) unavailable for download. I don't know why they are so determined to jam a non-functioning client down our throats.

Did you follow the advice on the Firestorm website before choosing (no one was forced) to.download the PBR viewer?    

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Did you follow the advice on the Firestorm website before choosing (no one was forced) to.download the PBR viewer?    

Don't attempt to mislead people in this thread. Firestorm has laid out their plan on only supporting the previous 3 builds. It's only a matter of time before all users are forced to download their PBR viewer where the lighting is overly harsh, the performance is worse than Cyberpunk 2077 at launch and Firestorm's cheerleaders like you are in absolute denial that their own Jira is useless in addressing issues.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Davlos Karsin said:

Don't attempt to mislead people in this thread. Firestorm has laid out their plan on only supporting the previous 3 builds. It's only a matter of time before all users are forced to download their PBR viewer where the lighting is overly harsh, the performance is worse than Cyberpunk 2077 at launch and Firestorm's cheerleaders like you are in absolute denial that their own Jira is useless in addressing issues.

You didn't answer my question but okie dokie.

9 hours ago, Davlos Karsin said:

They tried to hide this

They have done nothing of the sort.  The above post shows the link clearly.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 12:22 PM, TyVulpine Buccaneer said:

Yeah, that's the one I'm using now. Only problem I have now is that if I'm in a large crowd, SL will crash on me. That kind of worries me because September is Medieval Month in Raglan Shire, my favorite time of the year in Raglan, and the contests tend to get a lot of people together for the contests (Golden Bow, Stabby Stabby (swordfighting tournament), and Joust).

Help > About Firestorm

Can you copy/paste the output of that here? just curious. Also what do you mean by crash?

36 minutes ago, TyVulpine Buccaneer said:

Screenshot (9).png

I think you'll want to take this to a thread in the General Discussion forum, "General Second Life Tech Discussion" or "Second Life Viewer" forums, that's a crash that seems like it might be fixable, that's an out of memory error I think.

Never seen that specific crash though, I usually get a bugsplat message on a hard crash like that.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

On 8/2/2024 at 9:53 PM, Davlos Karsin said:

Don't attempt to mislead people in this thread. Firestorm has laid out their plan on only supporting the previous 3 builds. It's only a matter of time before all users are forced to download their PBR viewer........

I count twelve different viewers available in the Third Party Viewer Directory https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory . Add in the official LL Viewer as the unlucky 13th and you have lots of choices. So who is misleading who when you claim all users will be forced to use Firestorm. No one is forced to use Firestorm including you.

• Like 1