Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I am amazed at your ability to come up with a sneering perjorative nickname for literally everything. I found it off putting at first but now it amuses the hell out of me.

Don't make me make a Sims 4 parody of you for my neighbourhood, I'd have to go download male custom content clothing and hair, and spend hours messing in CAS, and that would mean your clone would end up living  in hellish lot.

Hmm, could make him the pastor at St. Lilith's Church 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And people who don't know the language or jargon that well as well as people who have TL;DR syndrome.

If you would like to continue to use Nam's or CawL, it's fairly simple to adjust those assets in your inventory.  Find it in your library, open it, then turn OFF Reflective Probe Ambience.  You can also adjust ambient color a bit darker.

Before adjustment to Nam's...

7d9f813d3951d849ea46d03b72bc1274.thumb.jpg.64856a142934200a14a9d793ca817117.jpg

After adjustment...

200b38ab72cc124500a988702ef6e068.thumb.jpg.bda5b6de4eeaa797f41a9efb77bc2eb6.jpg

Don't forget to SAVE

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And such a simple fix in the end with the exposure slider. Guess I am just lazy!

You seem to favor solutions that just hide the issue. Other people still see your neck seam if you are only relying on client side lighting. If you don’t care how others see you then that is fine, but there are other ways to fix that issue.

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Those two EEPs are usually recommended for things like head/face shaping and trying on skins. The entire point is they remove shadows around the face (around the nose, under the eyes, around the cheeks/chin/neck, etc.) so you can shape yourself without the harsh dark patches that some settings create. I also use it for makeup and face tat application (I mix/match and layer a lot).

It's a good idea to mess around with different EEPs after you're done shaping so you can see what you actually look like in more typical lighting situations, but I just leave it on because I personally don't care at all about seeing different SL lighting outside of my photo studio (and keep shadows off anyway, unless I'm in BD doing a photo session).

Good points, thank you. I'll add that also part of my reasoning with Cawl and Nams is that it seems to be the ones that the most other residents use other then the default or shared environment. So I know to some degree what I appear like to others which is almost more important then what I look like to myself when I am out in public.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you would like to continue to use Nam's or CawL, it's fairly simple to adjust those assets in your inventory.  Find it in your library, open it, then turn OFF Reflective Probe Ambience.  You can also adjust ambient color a bit darker.

Before adjustment to Nam's...

7d9f813d3951d849ea46d03b72bc1274.thumb.jpg.64856a142934200a14a9d793ca817117.jpg

After adjustment...

200b38ab72cc124500a988702ef6e068.thumb.jpg.bda5b6de4eeaa797f41a9efb77bc2eb6.jpg

Don't forget to SAVE

Side note, your avatar is stunning 😍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

You seem to favor solutions that just hide the issue. Other people still see your neck seam if you are only relying on client side lighting. If you don’t care how others see you then that is fine, but there are other way to fix that issue.

Would be nice to know what the most often used environment is or now was since this update may trigger many to change.

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Good points, thank you. I'll add that also part of my reasoning with Cawl and Nams is that it seems to be the ones that the most other residents use other then the default or shared environment. So I know to some degree what I appear like to others which is almost more important then what I look like to myself when I am out in public.

Very welcome. I think those two settings are so popular because some people just prefer the overall even brightness (pre-PBR). For shopping and dressing and tweaking your avatar and demoing and reading vendors and all that, it makes it very easy to see.

Are they ideal in every situation - no. Are they the best for actually taking in an environment's landscaping and water and pretty visuals - goodness no. They're just a quick and dirty solution for doing routine things that don't require mood and ambiance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I think those two settings are so popular because

No, it's because for over a decade, creators have put note cads in product folders, or sent group notices, or blurted out in chat...

"I use Numb's Unoptimised, when making my stuff, if it looks wrong and you are NOT using Numb's, scr*w you, no product support or complaints procedure, everyone should use Numb's all the time, I, an ARTISTE, who is therefore better than all you mere cashcow customers, have spoken!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Would be nice to know what the most often used environment is or now was since this update may trigger many to change.

This whole discussion has been eye-opening to me. I guess I can see that for a quick and dirty photoshoot, an EEP might usefully hide all sorts of stuff, but it's quite a revelation that even for general use many SL users choose these EEPs intentionally, specifically for that quality. And while I understand not everybody uses shadows on a regular basis, the idea of turning them off to select an EEP is completely backwards of how I've always created EEPs (which is basically to reveal as much detail as the scene as a whole can show while remaining within reasonable bounds).

I don't even know how to think about this, it's all so alien.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Are they ideal in every situation - no. Are they the best for actually taking in an environment's landscaping and water and pretty visuals - goodness no. They're just a quick and dirty solution for doing routine things that don't require mood and ambiance. 

And those two things I am rather oblivious to, opting instead for enough light to properly see others and the place I am in. A ready example is when we were at Scylla's Art showing and I had the Shared Environment on which didn't allow me to properly see you or what you were wearing as well as Rowan and Ceka. When I finally changed to Cawl's I could see all three of you and appreciate the looks and outfits you were all wearing wearing. Maybe I need better glasses or just better inworld light but it does take away the ambience to some degree.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

A ready example is when we were at Scylla's Art showing and I had the Shared Environment on which didn't allow me to properly see you or what you were wearing as well as Rowan and Ceka. When I finally changed to Cawl's I could see all three of you and appreciate the looks and outfits you were all wearing wearing. Maybe I need better glasses or just better inworld light but it does take away the ambience to some degree.

Hmmm. Or maybe I need to add some interior lighting to the gallery . . .

• Like 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

And those two things I am rather oblivious to, opting instead for enough light to properly see others and the place I am in. A ready example is when we were at Scylla's Art showing and I had the Shared Environment on which didn't allow me to properly see you or what you were wearing as well as Rowan and Ceka. When I finally changed to Cawl's I could see all three of you and appreciate the looks and outfits you were all wearing wearing. Maybe I need better glasses or just better inworld light but it does take away the ambience to some degree.

Oh, I totally get that. Hell, I had that EEP on at the gallery, too. It didn't even occur to me to change it since I wanted to see everyone well and more importantly, view all of the art. If it were one of those installation art sims where the artist had chosen a rather specific EEP setting for the experience, that's a whoooole other story and I would've switched to Shared.

Honestly, I so rarely ever messed with EEP in Firestorm to begin with. Black Dragon is where I play with that and create my own EEPs, as I'm really only fussed about lighting when I'm using it myself. For just casually hanging out in SL, I use Firestorm and leave a single EEP in place. The few times I changed that is when I found myself getting dragged to a place entirely built around its mood, like Everwinter or Drune. That's different - you don't want to use CalWL someplace like that!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Breaking News.

People generally use EEP settings that allow them to see where they are going and what they are looking at. rather than using Failed Artiste Visual Griefing EEP's designed to be "immersive".

Pictures at 11.

Seriously though, "immersive" lighting presets are basically an abomination in every platform, where people can make and distribute the damnable things.

I occasionally watch "playthrough" videos on You Tube for games, especially games I really like (ssee how other people make choices) and games I've never played (does it look like I'd enjoy it ).

It's all too common to see somebody doing a blind playthrough, their first time, but a "friend" set the game up for them and pre loaded it with an "immersive" ENB.

So the noob starts the game and... come nightfall, the "immersive" ENB makes it so damn dark, you literally cannot see your weapon hand in front of your face in 1st person never mind see the npc enemies you need to fight.

Then the maker of this "immersive" ENB lighting mod claims "it makes the game moar reel!", and can't understand the "alien concept" that people want to see where they are going and what they are doing.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I use rlv for mine too, so my ao hud is in my core outfit. For standard SL outfits, I do include it in the outfit. It is the only hud I keep on all the the time (along with a particular body part one). Others I just keep in favorite wearables or use show in inventory in the Wearing tab for the attachment I need the hud for.

Do you use "(nostrip)" in the name of folders of things you wear but never remove?

My only "core" outfit is is in the outfits folder. which I wear if I glitched somehow

All my other outfits are just the clothes, because everything else I wear (including a dozen huds) is protected by (nostrip)

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hmmm. Or maybe I need to add some interior lighting to the gallery . . .

It seemed ok for others with lighter skins and outfits but those a bit darker themed, I had trouble seeing. I assumed it was just me until I noticed that FS had defaulted to a shared environment hence my changing it to Cawl's after about an hour and I could see! In future should you ever be so dumb to re invite me, I'll have the Exposure slider to up the light a bit.

33 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

You seem to favor solutions that just hide the issue. Other people still see your neck seam if you are only relying on client side lighting. If you don’t care how others see you then that is fine, but there are other ways to fix that issue.

Its called wearing a choker

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Do you use "(nostrip)" in the name of folders of things you wear but never remove?

My only "core" outfit is is in the outfits folder. which I wear if I glitched somehow

All my other outfits are just the clothes, because everything else I wear (including a dozen huds) is protected by (nostrip)

The thing I use has a .core folder, which is essentially my naked avi (cr wear naked takes me back to that, whatever I have in that folder, which includes my AO). Mine is a modded version of OpenCollar I use to automate my own avu.  The stuff I have in the outfits subfolder is just the clothing, etc.. I have some stuff also I use with & to add one off things like shoes, accessories, etc.. if I want to wear it at the time. I also have the FullArray outfits hud but I have yet to spend much time with it. 

Or just set mid day 😂

Ick.

17 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

This whole discussion has been eye-opening to me. I guess I can see that for a quick and dirty photoshoot, an EEP might usefully hide all sorts of stuff, but it's quite a revelation that even for general use many SL users choose these EEPs intentionally, specifically for that quality. And while I understand not everybody uses shadows on a regular basis, the idea of turning them off to select an EEP is completely backwards of how I've always created EEPs (which is basically to reveal as much detail as the scene as a whole can show while remaining within reasonable bounds).

This raises an interesting point relative to galleries. Most curators / gallery owners insist (politely) that one set one's pics on display to "full bright." (They also want the as large as possible, which I am increasingly disliking, because the size of the canvas is as much an element of its experience as the colours used.)

I'd actually prefer NOT to use full bright, which I find garish and ugly -- and yes, non-immersive. But the alternative is indeed setting up fairly extensive interior lighting to compensate.

I'm increasingly leaning towards that idea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like it to look pretty but its not important, you can just turn it off

It doesnt really feel like misdirected effort, sure id like to see other things taken care of well before making the game look prettier, but its also not that big of a deal.

This is just a virtual chatroom, dont over think it, it works just as well on a toaster of a computer with toaster mode graphics enabled, and itll still look pretty good.

sl.thumb.png.1736d880e53ac91faba6b7c2bdac20d3.png

Its called wearing a choker

Or having a skin with a proper neck fade built into it. My EVOX face and my body skins are from two different brands (le Lapeau and Birth) and not even the exact same tone, but the face skin has a neck fade built into it - no seam and not one of the neck fades you have to tint or any of that stuff which is dodgy.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A challenge!!

I'm sure a champion like your self will see off upstarts with ideas that are merely ordinary level "bad".

I figure you'd be a judge, since you judge..all things.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.