Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

32 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

optional, that's going to be an issue,  once adoption happens more and more,  less will be visible with a fall back viewer.

It'll be interesting to see how fast PBR will be adopted, especially on other Grids where it'll will be easier to include some with full mod right on most content but residents have a choice to not include it. I have a number of regions on mine where I don't have any plans use any PBR and one or two where it might be nice to test it for affect.

In any case other grids where it isn't being forced to update, it'll be a while I think.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

People do trade in their cars for newer models, and rarely because the car was obsolete. Not the best example! 

Cars don’t become obsolete, you can easily maintain and drive a car from the 50’s if you wish.

I myself would love to find a 70’s land yacht, but alas most are restored and out of my price range.

I have always said anything worth having on a car was already on them in the 70’s.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It'll be interesting to see how fast PBR will be adopted, especially on other Grids where it'll will be easier to include some with full mod right on most content but residents have a choice to not include it. I have a number of regions on mine where I don't have any plans use any PBR and one or two where it might be nice to test it for affect.

In any case other grids where it isn't being forced to update, it'll be a while I think.

It will probably coincide with adoption in SL with a month or so of delay, given that a lot of stuff on OpenSim is just pirated from SL.

Edited by BriannaLovey

10 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I need a phone the size of my pc monitor just for phone stuff.. hehehe

You'll probably see a few people walking around with goofy glasses in the near future 🤣 They'll also be waving their hands in front of them, making weird gestures with their fingers, it might look like gang lingo, but fret not, they are just swiping around in the air to interact with their phone.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Being someone who tends to spend 99%* of their time in sl as a robot. PBR has been like a Christmas in June for me. The metals and plastics of my look are shinier then ever and the metal behave a bit more like metal should. The only issue really has been that some eep setting look more washed out, but that can be fixed.

As for the mobile viewer. Being unable to enter my home because it's on A land is anoting as hell and I have no idea why LL thought that was a good idea. A shame, because a mobile viewer was something I was looking forward to.

They are legally covering their ass. If they ever do allow adult content on the mobile viewer, it will likely coincide with a grid-wide age verification policy for consumption of adult-rated content.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BriannaLovey said:

It will proably coincide with adoption in SL with a month or so of delay, given that a lot of stuff on OpenSim is just pirated from SL.

There are local creators who have already experimented with PBR and if I understood Scylla's explanation right, it won't be that difficult to implement for sim owners looking to spice up their builds a little without needing to wait for others to bring it across.

2 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

You'll probably see a few people walking around with goofy glasses in the near future 🤣 They'll also be waving their hands in front of them, making weird gestures with their fingers, it might look like gang lingo, but fret not, they are just swiping around in the air to interact with their phone.

I'm getting those Safety Glasses for work!! \o/

It's gonna be a good while before they know about those at work.

I'm totally gettin a pair!! \o/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BriannaLovey said:

There is OpenSim. It is already popular among certain demographics who have been banned from SL

Lol

This sure makes me want to visit!

It sounds like Escape from New York.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Lol

I talked about this in one of the threads about the new TOS changes regarding modesty patches and adult regions. SL's userbase will eventually bifurcate into those with a strong disgust reflex (who will continue inhabiting SL,) and those with a weak one (who move to OpenSim.) That is, if LL continues operating on the same incentives that caused them to make these changes anyways.

Edited by BriannaLovey
  • Confused 1

We are not a profit center.  We are a cost center.  I think Oberwanger and Waterford are vulture capitalists, who took over SL because they really wanted Tilia.  SL is a drag on the profits they think they can make, on pump and dump scams, like crypto, and NFTs.  Don't take my word for it.  The Tilia web site is all about helping people set up marketplaces for "tokens."  That's where the money is coming from.  Money doesn't care about your GPU temps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Lol

Not really like that. There were times back in 2009-2011 where there were more and maybe some here and there but for the most part it is inhabited by those who don't care for the SL slex or those like myself who enjoy running and playing with servers.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Lol

LOL, it actually is kinda fun.  It's popular among academics, whose departments got burned by Mark Kingdon's doubling of tier, overnight, back in 2011.

Just remember:  When you build anything that you spend a lot of time on, you probably want to build locally, then upload to the grid you want to give it to.  I've built some really cool stuff on other people's grids in OS, only to lose it over bull*****.  Once, I built an awesome machinima poseball system, took me 4-5 months.  Then I lost it all when the owner of the grid deleted everything in a messy divorce.  So just build on your home PC, and then upload it to other grids when it's done.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

People do trade in their cars for newer models, and rarely because the car was obsolete. Not the best example! 

Hey he is the one who brought the car thing up. Read the comment I was responding to and it might make more sense.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

LOL, it actually is kinda fun.  It's popular among academics, whose departments got burned by Mark Kingdon's doubling of tier, overnight, back in 2011.

Just remember:  When you build anything that you spend a lot of time on, you probably want to build locally, then upload to the grid you want to give it to.  I've built some really cool stuff on other people's grids in OS, only to lose it over bull*****.  Once, I built an awesome machinima poseball system, took me 4-5 months.  Then I lost it all when the owner of the grid deleted everything in a messy divorce.  So just build on your home PC, and then upload it to other grids when it's done.

Can make or ask for oar backups which should be done anyways on important builds.

• Like 1

I was not a fan of EEP when it arrived. There were things I could do in WL that I could NOT do in EEP. I have learned to deal and basically get a good look if not exactly what I might have wanted in WL. 

The only real advantage I can see to EEP is the ability to set your skies -- and at different levels. This is GOOD.

I just checked the birthday bash with both the Linden viewer and the NON PBR FS viewer and I prefer our old legacy look. And while I have a pretty hefty machine still, I am pretty sure I will be waiting until forced to use an on PBR viewer. 

I was thinking today because of another thread and right now and mostly likely for awhile folks can still use legacy textures either in addition to PBR or alone. I am wondering if that choice will disappear and I suspect it will. In SANSAR I negated the PBR with some tonal textures in various slots but that doesn't look like it will work in this system. 

So that may mean my building career is over. Time will tell.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
hit a wrong key with an empty post :D
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I was not a fan of EEP when it arrived. There were things I could do in WL that I could NOT do in EEP. I have learned to deal and basically get a good look if not exactly what I might have wanted in WL. 

The only real advantage I can see to EEP is the ability to set your skies -- and at different levels. This is GOOD.

I just checked the birthday bash with both the Linden viewer and the NON PBR FS viewer and I prefer our old legacy look. And while I have a pretty hefty machine still, I am pretty sure I will be waiting until forced to use an on PBR viewer. 

I was thinking today because of another thread and right now and mostly likely for awhile folks can still use legacy textures either in addition to PBR or alone. I am wondering if that choice will disappear and I suspect it will. In SANSAR I negated the PBR with some tonal textures in various slots but that doesn't look like it will work in this system. 

So that may mean my building career is over. Time will tell.  

Making regular textures disappear would mean altering many terabytes of legacy content stored on LL's servers. It is cheaper to keep the option than to take it away.

39 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

We are not a profit center.  We are a cost center.  I think Oberwanger and Waterford are vulture capitalists, who took over SL because they really wanted Tilia.  SL is a drag on the profits they think they can make, on pump and dump scams, like crypto, and NFTs.  Don't take my word for it.  The Tilia web site is all about helping people set up marketplaces for "tokens."  That's where the money is coming from.  Money doesn't care about your GPU temps.

lol that AI-generated picture they use ever so slightly resembles the trollface

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, BriannaLovey said:

I talked about this in one of the threads about the new TOS changes regarding modesty patches and adult regions. SL's userbase will eventually bifurcate into those with a strong disgust reflex (who will continue inhabiting SL,) and those with a weak one (who move to OpenSim.) That is, if LL continues operating on the same incentives that caused them to make these changes anyways.

You mean, a division between those who won't tolerate the sexualized representation of children, and those who think it's just fine?

Is there any way we can hasten this exodus?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You mean, a division between those who won't tolerate the sexualized representation of children, and those who think it's just fine?

Implement age verification and real life identity verification in order to access any adult content, and change criteria of child avatars to include those who dress young or act in childish ways. Of course that would cause a ton of collateral damage, but it would accomplish what you ask. Otherwise I have no idea really.

• Haha 2

Regarding comparing acceptance issues with EEP vs. PBR:

I remember when Windlight was new, and my partner at the time complained that every time he took a picture with Windlight, his Second Life would crash (on a Mac if I recall correctly).

So, it's always the "new thing" that people hate, doesn't work, don't know how to use, stresses out the computer, makes SL crash, etc.

Windlight: People complained. (Don't know how to use it, makes my Second Life crash, etc.)  People eventually accepted Windlight.

EEP: People complained. (Doesn't look like Windlight, don't know how to use it, etc.)  People mostly eventually accepted EEP.

PBR: People are complaining now.  (Looks terrible, don't know how to use it, etc.) People will mostly eventually accept PBR.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know, right? "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out!"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BriannaLovey said:

Thats why most people with these systems left ALM disabled, myself included.

Or you could just use Cool VL viewer, which makes PBR optional: http://sldev.free.fr/

I could, but some of use FS for two very critical and amazing UX designs that are part of the FS UI and not available anywhere else ... AO Overrider panel so no HUDs needed, and Favourites panel. No other viewer comes close to me (30 years UX design veteran) for the usability of those two things alone so will not change viewers.

Not yet upgraded, terrified as not a PC gamer person/tech savvy, but will have to eventually.

• Like 1