Firestorm PBR Release Is Out

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

There's no need for you to ever buy PBR content -- there's a plethora of non-PBR content available. There's never been any guarantee that all residents must be able to run the latest and greatest on their PC, whether in graphics optimization or whatever people manage to create in SL.

That is not the issue here. It is content not marked by the creator as to what it is compatible with. Just because we now have the availability of PBR does not mean every store is only going to sell PBR items. They are going to sell both. I feel it would be dishonest if merchants do not clearly mark if it is compatible with PBR, Classic or both.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I recently got a redelivery of a very popular tree set.  It included the legacy pack and the updated PBR version.  They did not include fallback textures on the PBR version.  It does say if you're not on a PBR viewer to use the legacy pack.  

I'd only knew they had updated since I saw the pack used on a region I visited before the Firestorm PBR release and saw a patch of white trees.  Inspecting them showed me the creator.  I was a little surprised they hadn't included those fallback textures.

If this is the brand is think it is, I use a lot of their stuff. I'd heard they've updated but I'll hold off a year or so if they aren't including backup textures.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I see it as false advertising if you did not state it plainly because at this point, older viewers are still allowed on grid.

It says directly on the vendor ad that it's PBR materials. It's not false advertising in the least. Just because older viewers are still present doesn't not require a merchant/creator to create for older viewers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If this is the brand is think it is, I use a lot of their stuff. I'd heard they've updated but I'll hold off a year or so if they aren't including backup textures.

I had it redelivery just to see the difference.  I haven't yet checked it out but it'll be interesting to see how much difference it makes.

• Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I had it redelivery just to see the difference.  I haven't yet checked it out but it'll be interesting to see how much difference it makes.

Who's the merchant please?

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

That is not the issue here. It is content not marked by the creator as to what it is compatible with. Just because we now have the availability of PBR does not mean every store is only going to sell PBR items. They are going to sell both. I feel it would be dishonest if merchants do not clearly mark if it is compatible with PBR, Classic or both.

I'm not going to spend weeks or months redoing every graphic for every product I've ever created and updating each item on the MP, in vendors, and boxes in my store to state it's not PBR. If it's PBR I'll just say so on the new stuff.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

It says directly on the vendor ad that it's PBR materials. It's not false advertising in the least. Just because older viewers are still present doesn't not require a merchant/creator to create for older viewers.

It isn't required, no. But I'll be thinking twice about buying goods that are labelled as PBR, but don't explicitly also use backup textures.

I'm using PBR, but a great many friends are not.

• Like 2

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It isn't required, no. But I'll be thinking twice about buying goods that are labelled as PBR, but don't explicitly also use backup textures.

I'm using PBR, but a great many friends are not.

When I bought my first bento head many were not happy with bento and didn't want to use the newly released bento viewer. I still wore my bento head. I'm not buying stuff for others. I buy them for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not going to spend weeks or months redoing every graphic for every product I've ever created and updating each item on the MP, in vendors, and boxes in my store to state it's not PBR. If it's PBR I'll just say so on the new stuff.

I wouldn't expect you to mark the old stuff but would be good if newer items clearly stated PBR only or some such. That way I know to avoid it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blush Bravin said:

When I bought my first bento head many were not happy with bento and didn't want to use the newly released bento viewer. I still wore my bento head. I'm not buying stuff for others. I buy them for me.

That's fine Blush. Your choice. I get it.

But my parcel is a public one, and i want it to be accessible to all. Generally I want to continue to accommodate others who haven't or feel they can't switch over yet, and that includes my personal appearance. At some point in the future, that will no longer be necessary.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

That stereo system looks amazing in PBR. I can't imagine it can come anywhere close using BP textures. This kind of reminds me of when Bento was first released and how much it changed mesh heads. Without a bento enabled viewer the bento mesh heads looked horrible. I actually wore a prim inside my head with a message saying, "If you can see this prim, you need to update your viewer."  I'm more inclined to think rather than double texturing items, as a creator I'd just put out a sign saying PBR ONLY textures and a buyer beware notice.

Who makes that stereo? I want to go get one.

Kunst

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, discussionbot said:

On what basis?

Source?

Linden's own voices. Go watch any of the content creations meetings.

Show up and ask one yourself.

PBR is the only supported render path going forward and all previous ones aren't just unsupported, they are dead. Zombies are to be shot on sight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But my parcel is a public one, and i want it to be accessible to all. Generally I want to continue to accommodate others who haven't or feel they can't switch over yet, and that includes my personal appearance. At some point in the future, that will no longer be necessary.

I want to accommodate those creators who work their fingers to the bone so that you can have a nice virtual life.  It's fine to tend to customer's needs when possible, but an extra workload will simply make it not worth it to create & sell here for many merchants, and we'd be the poorer for it.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

PBR is the only supported render path going forward and all previous ones aren't just unsupported, they are dead. Zombies are to be shot on sight.

But can you kill that which is not living? 😄

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Maybe the Lindens should do something profound and say it in Public to the residents instead of hiding  it in some creator meeting majority cant get to. They have mouths and can talk on Lab Gabs.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I want to accommodate those creators who work their fingers to the bone so that you can have a nice virtual life.  It's fine to tend to customer's needs when possible, but an extra workload will simply make it not worth it to create & sell here for many merchants, and we'd be the poorer for it.

The old workflow didn't stop you or many others in the past and this new one is much faster so why pray tell could you not make both?

11 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I wouldn't expect you to mark the old stuff but would be good if newer items clearly stated PBR only or some such. That way I know to avoid it.

This is my only PBR item ----- BEWARE~!   :)316ff9ae37d3dae0d984b2e4a612d1b0.gif

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This is a slightly bizarre take, Luna.

I'm not organizing boycotts or even chastising those who produce PBR textures without backup BP ones, merely noting that such goods don't currently serve my needs. For the time being, I'll be sticking to creators (whom I am sure also work very hard?) who are providing what I feel I still require.

At some point, when nearly everyone is on a PBR viewer, that will no longer be the case, and I'll be willing to buy goods that don't render in the old viewers.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Typo

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The old workflow didn't stop you or many others in the past and this new one is much faster so why pray tell could you not make both?

Uhhh...doing it two different ways adds time.

18 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If you're ever in the market for food and decor, What Next sells their products now with PBR and classic versions included. It'll be stated in the ads as "Optional PBR version included" and if I'm not mistaken, the vendor displays are still being made with the old textures. I don't know how long they'll be providing two versions of their products, but they're doing it for now and labeling it properly.

If you do buy something, they'll be entirely separate objects in the folder. Use the old/classic version if you're not on a PBR viewer. I don't know for sure if the PBR versions have fallback textures (doubt it, but silly me forgot to check before I upgraded my viewer).

Edit: This is for their newer products. The older stuff hasn't been updated that I've seen.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The new work flow is supposed to be much faster and efficient method so how much really from the old ways? Are you going to drop the prices on your new items to reflect the time saving? 

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'll be sticking to creators (whom I am sure also work very hard?) who are providing what I feel I still require.

Fine...support the wealthiest creators who have plenty of time to tend to your specific needs.

• Like 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The new work flow is supposed to be much faster and efficient method so how much really from the old ways? Are you going to drop the prices on your new items to reflect the time saving? 

Get off your lazy rump and make your own content. Then we'll talk marketing products.

• Like 1