New SL-Dedicated Social Media, Blogging, and Photography Platform PrimFeed Opens! What Are Your Impressions?

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

Well not using an outside processor in actual currency...what if there is an issue and a person needs to cancel or get a refund, how is this going to work as far as getting Linden back? What the if person says well you paid already, all it shows in your transaction is that you gave this person x amount of L supposedly for their service, but it's not going to say any of that and there is likely no recourse should a dispute arise. It's just not good IMO.

This is a good point. We all know LL's attitude towards "residence disputes."

On the other hand, this app lives and dies on its reputation, and if the word that they were screwing up on payments started spreading, not merely this one, but also the associated apps, EasyBloggers and EasySubscribers, would die pretty quickly I think.

And it DOES mean that they aren't getting your banking info.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

People whine about being data scraped by "filthy bots", but here they are being asked to voluntarily give your profile to some random for datascraping, so they can post nude avatarr pics on a 2nd rate clone of tw*tter., that wants you to pay them sizeable amounts of L$ for access.

That isn't enough to be concerned?

The information that they're getting from your profile is a great deal less that BonnieBots has been scraping, as there is no in-world data gathering operation associated with it. There's nothing there, in fact, that a reasonably simple web data harvesting API couldn't get without the fuss and bother of creating an app for it.

And I find it pricey, although I suppose it's roughly comparable to Flickr.

But if you're not feeling you're going to get value for your money, then . . . yeah. Avoid it.

As a photographer, it has its appeal to me, but I'm far from certain I'm ready to jump ship from Flickr for it.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The service is tiered, with both free and paid accounts.

I see now, "paid accounts".  

Other "paid" services (where you pay in L$) haven't worked out so great. The dating app (whatever it was called, "Thundr" I think - basically a "Grindr" copycat), and Speedlight (may have worked out, but it was basically free if you're Premium) for examples.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If they used a third-party payment system They could gather your payee info and have your RL name.

Using a payment processor does not give them your name, only if they require it for their site for some verification I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

As a photographer

Go to DeviantArt, it's cheaper if you choose to go "Core", they won't delete your high resolution nude snapshots, and you can SELL your art in varrious ways if "Core" and make back the subscription price.

And it already has a SecondLife Community.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

All I see is a login page, going to the main site bumps me to the login page. There is no pitch, no description, no about nothing, what exactly is the site and why would I sign up on it?

I quit pretty much all social media. Have had enough of the like farming, status farming, friend farming, and submitting personal information, art works, etc to corporations who steal it, then lock me out of it, etc.

It'll be good for those folk, (and the same folk no doubt) to do all that and continue their little circle-jerk together - no thanks.

The sign-up page is not very informative, I'll certainly grant. It took me a few minutes to work out how to create a password.

Social media is all that you describe, and more: it's problematic to put it mildly, and I avoid most of it. If Bluesky ever takes off properly, I'll dump Twitter.

But this platform was designed with two overlapping needs in mind: those of SL bloggers, who were finding it increasingly difficult to operate on Flickr with free accounts, and SL photographers, who also face some issues there unless they subscribe.

Bloggers need a platform where they can not only reach an audience for their blog posts, but also link directly and easily to the creators whose work they are featuring. This platform has very much been designed with those needs in mind (and they may, in fact, have been the primary impetus for the creation of this platform).

Photographers need a place where their pics can reach an audience, and where they can connect with a community of like-minded people.

I fit into the latter category, and if this platform takes off as a place where I am getting more "views" for my images, and that develops a community, I'll give subscribing some serious consideration. I don't like, however, the fact that it is ONLY SL art that it features.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Can you be more specific?

I'm not at all doubting you, but I'd like to hear what worries people about this.

Myself, If it isn't an official LL project, I won't give my log in information.. It might be too legit to quit, but that's not gonna get me to come off my log in information..

I might be gun shy about my log in information, but I'm kinda old school in that way I think.. hehehe

Let alone, the other stuff with me not doing social media and networking anyways.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Go to DeviantArt, it's cheaper if you choose to go "Core", they won't delete your high resolution nude snapshots, and you can SELL your art in varrious ways if "Core" and make back the subscription price.

And it already has a SecondLife Community.

I've given a thought to DeviantArt. There was some discussion of it as an alternative to Flickr on Twitter, and I'd need to see it again, but the consensus as I recall was that it wasn't entirely satisfactory -- for reasons I don't remember (but maybe to do with image resolutions for free accounts?)

Anyway, I haven't ruled out any options myself, including just hanging tight on Flickr.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Myself, If it isn't an official LL project, I won't give my log in information.. It might be too legit to quit, but that's not gonna get me to come off my log in information..

I might be gun shy about my log in information, but I'm kinda old school in that way I think.. hehehe

Let alone, the other stuff with me not doing social media and networking anyways.

You don't need to give it your login info, Ceka. Just your SL name.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Is it a forum site or just for posting pictures and what is there for moderation and is tied in any way to the lindens?

It's primarily for photos, but it has a sort of Twitter-lite media feed as well.

It's not officially tied to LL in any way.

Moderation, so far as I know, is one guy. But I may be wrong about that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You're not the only one.
It is even the main reason that I stick with the LL viewer.

33 minutes ago, Modulated said:

You're not paranoid. There is a lot about this new service I find questionable, from that to the payment option in Linden.

Thank you, guys!

Another thing that comes to mind - could anyone who actually signs up please check their privacy features? Can you block/ignore? Does it prevent people from engaging with your posts, etc.?

Reason I ask - it's very possible for someone to follow you over to, say, Flickr and spam your photos with comments. Since the accounts are all linked up, there absolutely needs to be a way to not only block someone, but make it so they can't trash your stuff. I think Flickr uses a "people you follow" somethin' somethin' setting for that.

• Like 4

I liked it because it is made just for SL, you can adjust the maturity settings which you can't do on Twitter, and I can see people and products I had never seen before, so it's very refreshing. I see some old friends and merchants I've known for years but a lot of new people.

To be sure, it is all scantily-clad girls. But that's the nature of SL. A few scantily-clad men sprinkled throughout to keep the ladies interested. But most ladies are interested even MORE in dressing up THEMSELVES than pursuing anybody else of any gender, it seems lol.

Even so, I think it's great that there's an SL-specific social media because Flickr has gotten unfriendly, Twitter covers up people or blocks them way too ofen, there is a kind of dislike of SL out there based on...what I just said. But there's more to SL as we all know.

• Like 8

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You don't need to give it your login info, Ceka. Just your SL name.

I was looking in the other thread and seen  that you don't have to..

After thinking about it I was like, LL is gonna back someone that is asking for our log in information.. That didn't make sense.. hehehe

But after reading Sids thread I seen you didn't need it..

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Another thing that comes to mind - could anyone who actually signs up please check their privacy features? Can you block/ignore? Does it prevent people from engaging with your posts, etc.?

Reason I ask - it's very possible for someone to follow you over to, say, Flickr and spam your photos with comments. Since the accounts are all linked up, there absolutely needs to be a way to not only block someone, but make it so they can't trash your stuff. I think Flickr uses a "people you follow" somethin' somethin' setting for that.

Good questions, all. I'll find out what I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The sign-up page is not very informative, I'll certainly grant. It took me a few minutes to work out how to create a password.

Social media is all that you describe, and more: it's problematic to put it mildly, and I avoid most of it. If Bluesky ever takes off properly, I'll dump Twitter.

But this platform was designed with two overlapping needs in mind: those of SL bloggers, who were finding it increasingly difficult to operate on Flickr with free accounts, and SL photographers, who also face some issues there unless they subscribe.

Bloggers need a platform where they can not only reach an audience for their blog posts, but also link directly and easily to the creators whose work they are featuring. This platform has very much been designed with those needs in mind (and they may, in fact, have been the primary impetus for the creation of this platform).

Photographers need a place where their pics can reach an audience, and where they can connect with a community of like-minded people.

I fit into the latter category, and if this platform takes off as a place where I am getting more "views" for my images, and that develops a community, I'll give subscribing some serious consideration. I don't like, however, the fact that it is ONLY SL art that it features.

The password was a stumbling block. At first I thought they didn't want a paste-in of your actual password, but a type-up. But in fact they do NOT repeat DO NOT want your SL password. Instead, you have to MAKE AN ACCOUNT derp and then you will have a 2FA code sent to your email as the password, until you change it to whatever you want. That's a perfectly fine system. There is no need for an SL password.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

've given a thought to DeviantArt. There was some discussion of it as an alternative to Flickr on Twitter, and I'd need to see it again, but the consensus as I recall was that it wasn't entirely satisfactory -- for reasons I don't remember (but maybe to do with image resolutions for free accounts?)

Click the NSFW link in my forum sig, and follow the watchers and watched to find a bunch of SecondLifer's, and see the pics they post, I've not had any issues with image resolution my self.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

..but you're still HERE..

We're VERY old school; we barely count as social media!

We are to social media what phones with dials are to cell phones!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Good questions, all. I'll find out what I can.

Thank you!

Also, I skimmed the TOS and Privacy Policy fairly quickly. This bit looks good, though (be sure to read it in full if you have concerns over what data they are and are not collecting):

image.png.0bfd24eca9bda297a33375b52c7cd117.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it is an improvement over my.secondlife.com.  I would like to see a way to post directly from Second Life snapshot, like you can with my.secondlife.com.  I too don't like social media, but this is second life, not posting your life on the web.. I imagine it will be used mostly to share pictures, and have discussions with people off of the forum.   I'll upload a couple of screenshots for those of you who are interested, but don't want to log into the site.

primfeed1.thumb.png.6318277babfd64d7530dbba7bf2de464.png

My first post.

primfeed2.thumb.png.42dee6deb88326bd7faeec0e7d3e8ea4.png

You have the option to create a password if you want to.  You will get a pin in world, and you use your avatar name for those curious, no password seems to be required.  

primcode.thumb.png.124c7a3ce7e150178a239c90352b8b78.png

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2