Pride Month In SL -- A Bad Experience

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Didn't you just mention the problem with the terminally online on X/Twitter?  Maybe you need to take your own advice and look into RL a bit, or even SL where name-calling is frequent toward marginalized people.

Who was I name-calling? I said both are guilty for it. I literally said there are some in the LGBTQ community that are like that, not all. And then I added that the right likes to magnify the outliers, like the ones I stated. How is that making fun of anyone? 

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Are you trans or just an Ally? 

Tranny is an offensive and derogatory slur for a transgender individual, often specifically a transgender woman.

19 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

More than a few gay/lez people have had it with trannies.

One gay woman was saying on a video I saw that she regretted marching for gay rights. she was marching for respect and equality.

She expressed her disgust at the trans community and what they are trying to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I guess racial slurls weren't enough.  🙄

Coffee said something a year or more ago, about how any thread that presents an opportunity for transphobia will inevitably become a vehicle for the expression of transphobia. She was right. And the same can be said about homophobia, racism, and sexism.

I'm not interested in providing further opportunities for the expression of hate, so I'm out of this thread.

• Like 4

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

But my point is, I am trans. And if I had a problem with what she said, I would call her out. Please do not talk over me or act like I can't fight my own battles. 

I wasn't even ADDRESSING you, Sammy -- I was responding to BJ's use of a term that is nearly universally recognized as a slur.

I'm not talking over you, to you, about you, or with you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

But my point still stands. It is the forced acceptance that is making people dislike pride.

So a group of people having a Pride event is forcing you to accept them?

Me, introducing a singer as a gay woman is forcing something?

I suppose LL including a photo of some gay people @ log in or as a forum header is also harming you?

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Tranny is an offensive and derogatory slur for a transgender individual, often specifically a transgender woman.

I did not see that, but then again. I am trans, and I don't find that word offensive at all. I mean she could have not used it in a derogatory way. @BilliJo Aldrin you do really need to stop putting all trans people in one singular box, like we are all the bad guys. I truly don't appreciate it. Like if you read how I talk, I have said on many occasions. That I dislike radicals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Hi Christiano. I see what you're saying about the tolerance versus acceptance. I can see your point but i'm afraid it still boils down to "how much do you care". Maybe it's easier for me to shrug things off then others. Maybe my mom told me one to many times to grow a thicker skin, and i actually did.

I've seen the viral video of a pickup truck doing a burnout on a crosswalk that was painted in the rainbow colors. Obviously this is not ok and i would never defend such primitive ape-like behavior. But it is an opportunity to look for causality. The first and most obvious would be that this minority is "out of the norm" and as we all know, if you're different, you're naturally subject to being bullied and made fun of. Typical human behavior. Not to be defended, to be clear, but it is what it is.

But my point still stands. It is the forced acceptance that is making people dislike pride. Look at twitter (still calling it that). Look at all the logos of major companies, and so on and so forth. It's a whole month of "in your face" and "accept me as i am". It feels forced and that is where a lot of people have issues. Again, i'm not defending this, but it is how people are. So what i'm suggesting here (tall order, i'm aware) is to maybe approach people in another way to all this instead of how things are being done now?

The co-opting of Pride by craven corporations because gays have a lot of disposable income is nauseating, when come July 1st they shove them back in the closet until next year. Hell, I don't like all the rainbows constantly, but I would take seeing a rainbow skittles glitter explosion over the hate I see directed at gay people daily.

The same people who are so put out by Pride never seem to take issue with how people feel during the Christmas season, for example, if you aren't religious (or the right kind of religious). They never see that as in your face.  Religious symbols in public places, government buildings, etc.. all very much in your face, but that's different(tm).

You are right, most of the time I don't give a flying ***** what braindead people on the internet think. Then someone is murdered, or beaten up, or a club is shot up, and it is a stark reminder that letting that kind of hatred fester has real consequences. I let a lot of it go, but silence is not always an option. What happened here is minor, but the underlying issues (and the usual "white pride", "straight pride", shoved down our throats/in our faces rhetoric) do matter greatly.

Edited by Cristiano Midnight
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Again, saying someone is gay is not throwing it in your face. Do you get tired of people who say they are Christian or some other religion?

If it totally irrelevent to the situation, why would i care what their religion is, and why would they bother telling me?

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I guess racial slurls weren't enough.  🙄

Coffee said something a year or more ago, about how any thread that presents an opportunity for transphobia will inevitably become a vehicle for the expression of transphobia. She was right. And the same can be said about homophobia, racism, and sexism.

I'm not interested in providing further opportunities for the expression of hate, so I'm out of this thread.

Yep, Coffee is right....think I'm about done here too.  It's just a magnet for haters now.

• Like 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

If it totally irrelevent to the situation, why would i care what their religion is, and why would they bother telling me?

I mean I generally don't see people who throw religion in my face either. And if someone talks about it, I generally excuse myself from the conversation. But then again, if someone goes on about politics, I will generally leave the conversation. I tried to avoid both all together. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

there are so many you say, but the one example is from from what? 50 years ago? how about one from this century?

I realize you've mentioned you hate reading anything but here you go anyway...

https://www.hrc.org/press-releases/fbis-annual-crime-report-amid-state-of-emergency-anti-lgbtq-hate-crimes-hit-staggering-record-highs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm kind of curious of the response of the couple, after you explained to them the reason for the introduction..You speak about the reaction to the introduction, but not their reaction to the explanation of the introduction.

The situation just kind of stops there, in the OP anyways..

The reason I ask questions about the situation rather than jumping all in is,  because we're only getting one side of the event.. So rather than getting both sides, it's information dig time, pretty much..

Did they leave or have a better understanding or did they get worse or just went quiet, things like that?

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

You are right, most of the time I don't give a flying ***** what braindead people on the internet think?. Then someone is murdered, or beaten up, or a club is shot up, and it is a stark reminder that letting that kind of hatred fester has real consequences. I let a lot of it go, but silence is not always an option. What happened here is minor, but the underlying issues (and the usual "white pride", "straight pride", shoved down our throats/in our faces rhetoric) do matter greatly.

Christiano, The way you say this isn't helping anything and is exactly my point. I'm aware you're doing it somewhat sarcastically but the "us against them" mentality really isn't as bad as you would make it out to be. I think you're focusing too much on that clown with his pickup truck and the bad things that do in fact happen. But try and look further, much further and see the rest of the people that do accept you as you are, without you having to shout it out that you are the way you are. Honestly, i truly believe this is where most of this minority's issues lie. The "thinking" that you're not accepted and when you think that, and in fact look for it, you will see it everywhere. It's not a healthy way. I say this because i care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Okies well this is getting to be too much, and yeah I have other things to do. So you guys argue amongst yourself. Toodleoo. 

Yeah, my scripting is more fulfilling than this. But it's hard to look away from a trainwreck, as they say.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There is such a thing as a "romantic, non-sexual relationship".  If "who you love" is a person of the same gender, as a "partner", then that is considered LGBT - even if there is absolutely no actual sex involved.

The word "queer" used to be used. Then "Gay" or "Lesbian" was used instead. 

I'll also add that if a person identifies as straight/ heterosexual, they aren't expected to prove that by having heterosexual sex and they don't stop being straight just because they haven't had sex.

Don't don't expect this of gay, bi, pansexual or asexual people either.  If we're adults, we probably know which gender(s) we're attracted to, and that doesn't change just because we have or haven't had sex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

'm kind of curious of the response of the couple, after you explained to them the reason for the introduction..You say speak about the reaction to the introduction, but not their reaction to the explanation of the introduction.

The situation just kind of stops there, in the OP anyways..

The reason I ask questions about the situation rather than jumping all in is,  because we're only getting one side of the event.. So rather than getting both sides, it's information dig time, pretty much..

Did they leave or have a better understanding or did they get worse or just went quiet, things like that?

First, it was just the woman who was present, but speaking about experiences with her husband at other Pride events when they saw this happening (introducing an artist and remarking on their LGBTQ+ status at the same time).

After my explanation she was kind of quiet.  And I just said one more thing...I said "I'm just sending a little love their way is all".  I was kind and not confrontational, although shocked that in this day and age some just don't get what Pride is about.  Not really sure if she rethought her reaction or came to understand what Pride was about, or understood the fact that gay people like to claim people doing good (like a good singer or any other respected member of society) as their own, as a source of pride. After all, it wasn't that long ago when a person would ruin their career if they came out. Even today I don't think a gay person could be elected president due to the stigma.

I can only hope she developed a little bit of awareness.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, my scripting is more fulfilling than this. But it's hard to look away from a trainwreck, as they say.

And this is why I quit twitter and basically am just stayin with FB and Insta. All this back and forth and being at each others throats, really does a number to your mental health. Especially if you get involved and either side doesn't agree with you. Good god!!! You get lambasted and attacked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Christiano, The way you say this isn't helping anything and is exactly my point. I'm aware you're doing it somewhat sarcastically but the "us against them" mentality really isn't as bad as you would make it out to be. I think you're focusing too much on that clown with his pickup truck and the bad things that do in fact happen. But try and look further, much further and see the rest of the people that do accept you as you are, without you having to shout it out that you are the way you are. Honestly, i truly believe this is where most of this minority's issues lie. The "thinking" that you're not accepted and when you think that, and in fact look for it, you will see it everywhere. It's not a healthy way. I say this because i care.

I appreciate that, but I have to respectfully disagree. Gay people do not have to go looking for lack of acceptance and outright discrimination. It is ingrained in them from the time they are young children, especially if they start to show any signs of being gay. It is far more insidious and widespread than you may think.  It does get disheartening. There has certainly been a lot of progress made in some areas, but for many communities, not much has changed. I am lucky in some ways, as  a bisexual, I navigate both worlds so I have avoided a lot of the worst of things. I have friends who have not. One was just walking home from work the other day in LA and had a slur shouted at him, I am sure you can guess which one. You want it not to get to you, but it does. It can sometimes cut quite deeply even if you don't want it to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

First, it was just the woman who was present, but speaking about experiences with her husband at other Pride events when they saw this happening (introducing an artist and remarking on their LGBTQ+ status at the same time).

After my explanation she was kind of quiet.  And I just said one more thing...I said "I'm just sending a little love their way is all".  I was kind and not confrontational, although shocked that in this day and age some just don't get what Pride is about.  Not really sure if she rethought her reaction or came to understand what Pride was about, or understood the fact that gay people like to claim people doing good (like a good singer or any other respected member of society) as their own, as a source of pride. After all, it wasn't that long ago when a person would ruin their career if they came out. Even today I don't think a gay person could be elected president due to the stigma.

I can only hope she developed a little bit of awareness.

Thank you :)

I'm just trying to get a more clearer picture in my mind is all..

I hope the rest of the event went well and you all had a good session.

• Thanks 1