SL should have object decay

8 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

but oh, one caveat, it will decay in X amount of years according to our dictates".

That's no worse than (and just as hyperbolic as) "everything you'll try to do is blocked by giant plywood walls and glowing cubes owned by people long gone".

Bad comparison -- these two examples can't be equated.

The one with annoying neighbors can move, whereas the one whose prims will poof at another's whim has no choice in how to mitigate an unfavorable outcome.

30 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You think other engineers learned from that?

It just might be more favorable to toss out the bad ideas at the get-go so people don't end up dying, as opposed to thinking of your fun engineering ideas as learning experiences for your comrades.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

no choice in how to mitigate an unfavorable outcome.

Yes they do. Click "login" once a decade.

I know it might be a pretty insurmountable and complex task for some people, but I think most of us can manage at least that.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It just might be more favorable to toss out the bad ideas at the get-go so people don't end up dying, as opposed to thinking of your fun engineering ideas as learning experiences for your comrades.

The bad idea for that bridge was in trying to save money that ultimately led to it being built with a crappy design. Not the first such disaster that was a result of cost cutting measures by a city council.

Edited by Arielle Popstar

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

no choice in how to mitigate an unfavorable outcome.

Yes they do. Click "login" once a decade.

I know it might be a pretty insurmountable and complex task for some people, but I think most of us can manage at least that.

It's just a bad idea for so many reasons. There are people who built things others want to preserve, whether on their own land or elsewhere. In some cases the builder is deceased and can never log on again.

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

can move

Also, "can move" means "spin up your own region for 210 bucks a month"

no, not every parcel on the mainland is bordered by annoying neighbors. I've lived on mainland myself and can confirm there are plenty of acceptable parcels.

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The bad idea for that bridge was in trying to save money that ultimately led to it being built with a crappy design. Not the first such disaster that was a result of cost cutting measures by a city council.

I'm speaking to the idea overall that there are no bad ideas.  It's simply not true. People have died due to bad ideas. To focus on a "learning experience" as a way to affirm bad ideas is short-sighted and a faulty premise to base an argument on.

In fact, it exemplifies the mind of many scripters -- some little tangent is thought up and they run with it, lost in the details, thinking they've solved some nifty problem, not even realizing the main overarching goal has been compromised.

Edited by Luna Bliss

5 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

can move

It really does work both ways, don't you agree?

Anyone who rents or buys land that has stuff they don't like on it, certainly could - and can - rent or buy other land.  That is, starting with the assumption that the stuff they don't like was there when they bought / rented the land.

I suppose there's an edge case where, "I bought my land 10 years ago, and the people who put up this monstrosity haven't logged in for a whole year!!!"

So it really does work both ways..

Are you the "new guy" and the bad stuff was already there? Oops on you (could just sell your land / move elsewhere).  <= I do not support doing anything for the "new guy" in this edge case.

Are you the "old guy" and the stuff has been there awhile with no sign from the owners? File a ticket. Who knows what may happen? <= I support some consideration for the "old guy" in this edge case.

Are you "just wanting to rent or buy some land in the area", but don't like the bad stuff there?  Ohhh, that's too bad. <= I do not support doing anything for the person who does not have an actual "dog in the fight".

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
16 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

can move

It really does work both ways, don't you agree?

I would bet there are few people who enjoy a themed area that fits together nicely with pleasant views for all, or who believes in a community of people working together, more than I do (community in this case meaning the people who live close to each other).

But even I believe there needs to be a place of freedom on the grid where people, those without the income to own their own region, can do whatever the hell they want on their property.

Why should this be taken away? Don't they have rights too?

Edited by Luna Bliss

19 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There are people who built things others want to preserve

Which is why a way to exempt certain builds would have to be included, yes

20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

In some cases the builder is deceased and can never log on again.

Then they're probably beyond caring and are definitely never going to finish that plywood skyscraper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

In some cases the builder is deceased and can never log on again.

Then they're probably beyond caring and are definitely never going to finish that plywood skyscraper.

Oh, I didn't know those who are deceased only have plywood skyscrapers on display.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Oh, I didn't know those who are deceased only have plywood skyscrapers on display.

or that there are that many plywood skyscrapers...

Hyperbole is a bad argument on either side of a debate, and it makes the point moot.

if there -were- a plywood skyscraper, well, derender is already available.

• Like 1

Just derender the eyesores. That's all it takes. All neighbors should.  Anyone passing by should. Anyone thinking of buying a parcel anywhere near it ... just should.  Anyone considering buying on mainland... yeah it'll never get better! Learn that lesson quick!

That poor guy that put out his sandbox with multicolor boxes at varying heights. Doesn't matter that he's been gone for 5 or 10 years. He could have died while erecting those!  Maybe the very next day after starting that build! It should be a memorial... forever!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:
41 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

or that there are that many plywood skyscrapers...

I'm heading to mainland today in search of them....judging by the arguments they're just ALL over the place...

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm heading to mainland today in search of them....judging by the arguments they're just ALL over the place...

I don't know if you're into drinking games, but I say follow one of the Linden routes with say... 128 draw distance and take a shot every time you see the default plywood texture.

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

I don't know if you're into drinking games, but I say follow one of the Linden routes with say... 128 draw distance and take a shot every time you see the default plywood texture.

Is each one a memorial to a dead person?

31 minutes ago, Chery Amore said:

Just derender the eyesores. That's all it takes. All neighbors should.  Anyone passing by should. Anyone thinking of buying a parcel anywhere near it ... just should.  Anyone considering buying on mainland... yeah it'll never get better! Learn that lesson quick!

That poor guy that put out his sandbox with multicolor boxes at varying heights. Doesn't matter that he's been gone for 5 or 10 years. He could have died while erecting those!  Maybe the very next day after starting that build! It should be a memorial... forever!

If you have a viewer allowing you to be derender those eyesores, great but there's also the aspect of bringing over visitors to show them the nice region or parcel and it wind up being marred by some crap build done by an absentee owner. There's no ability to discuss with the neighbour about doing some beautification so you have a better view and not living in the middle of a slum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I actually did that today and a couple of the most absurd and ugly builds were made since 2020.  One was made.this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1