SL has gotten incredibly boring

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted (edited)

SL has become a boring place. I wish I had the chance to join SL in its prime but unfortunately, I was like 2 or 3 when it was created. Now, all SL is a ego measuring contest with no substance. 

if you don't like crappy clubs with equally as crappy music, fornicating  every minute of the day, want to be a medieval slave, stand around and talk ship, or have a crippling shopping addiction, there's nothing to do. what happened to rp? what happened to the fun and excitement? what happened? where did it go wrong? I'm tired of standing around bored out of my mind! can someone make a RP place suggestion or something to do?

Edited by 1xXM1M1Xx1
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1. Go to an art gallery opening
  2. Attend a virtual ballet, or a show at Moulin Rouge
  3. Burn2 events (in season)
  4. SciFi Con (on now)
  5. Raglan Shire Art Walk  (on now)
  6. Saturday Morning Cartoons at The Wastelands tomorrow morning
  7. Join RFL weekend activities (this weekend)
  8. Caledon Bashful Peacock Pride bash on Sunday
  9. Catch one of Russel Eponym’s live sets (ongoing weekly)
  10. Visit 1920’s Berlin Project (or historical area of your interest) 
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Something to do - well, there's a lot. It really comes down to what you're interested in. If you like art - there are lots of great art galleries. Live music - look around for some good DJs and performers you'd like. Like sailing and exploring - grab a boat. Like fishing or riding around on horses, you can do that, too. Etc. I never found SL roleplay to be particularly interesting, so I'm rather useless on that front.

I guess I'd ask, though - why force it? Log in when there's something you want to do. Log out when there isn't. SL is primarily a creative outlet/character builder/virtual photography playground for me, so when I'm in the mood to do that, I'm in there. When I want to do something else (socialize, roleplay, play an RPG or some other type of game), I go do that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 1xXM1M1Xx1 said:

SL has become a boring place. I wish I had the chance to join SL in its prime but unfortunately, I was like 2 or 3 when it was created. Now, all SL is a ego measuring contest with no substance. 

if you don't like crappy clubs with equally as crappy music, fornicating  every minute of the day, want to be a medieval slave, stand around and talk ship, or have a crippling shopping addiction, there's nothing to do. what happened to rp? what happened to the fun and excitement? what happened? where did it go wrong? I'm tired of standing around bored out of my mind! can someone make a RP place suggestion or something to do?

Thanks for sharing.  If you can't find something to do in SL, maybe its not SL.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, 1xXM1M1Xx1 said:

No one is in SL to entertain you.  You will have to find or create your own fun.

You sound like a super low-maintenance friend, so I'm sure you'll have no issues making some new ones.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1xXM1M1Xx1 said:

what happened to rp?

It was killed off by the 2 digit IQ score RP EgoWh*res who get bored when they are not the stars of their own personal failed novelist wannabe badly written psycho-drama-llama festivals.

The ones who keep telling the other RP trash in (( Pretentious )) brackets to stop trying to hog the "scene" because they want to hog it, and "everyone" knows they are the "lead" in the scene.

what happened to the fun and excitement?

That died of old age, waiting on the Para RP trash to type up their badly written novellas that they use instead of saying "hello" like a normal human being.

stand around and talk ship

Some people in SL actually ENJOY ships, and boats, and rafts, and that whole maritime thing.

I'm tired of standing around bored out of my mind!

Not our problem.

can someone make a RP place suggestion or something to do?

"Grow up"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, 1xXM1M1Xx1 said:

SL has become a boring place.

What have you learned in RL that you an bring to the table and expand on?  It seems you're looking "out there" for someone/something to entertain you, when the happiest people I see in SL are ones who brought some interest from RL and experimented with it in SL. For example, I love nature, and so in SL I became a nature artist. And I trained in Reiki, and so practice Reiki and other rituals related to it here, expanding on it, making it work for SL.

Surely you have some talent or interest from RL that might fit here -- making it fit can be the fun part.

Others I know did discover a new interest here, but you do have to be willing to search and be open, investigate, and go places beyond  various clubs.

You mentioned that you like role playing -- you could start your own venture!  It can be exciting to see if you can make it work. Be willing to work hard at it though.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Second Life can be totally boring at times.
But that is not a complaint. It is a given fact, that I accept and I just do something else if that happens.
Like hanging around on the forums or if everything else fails, laundry and other housekeeping jobs. :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That died of old age, waiting on the Para RP trash to type up their badly written novellas that they use instead of saying "hello" like a normal human being.

Rick Nightingale takes a deep breath, inhaling the earthy aroma of the surrounding, moist woodland, his face illuminated by the dappled evening light finding its way through the dense summer leaf growth. Looking around at the scantily-clad group of wood elves that gathered around him excitedly when he arrived with...... wait a minute... group??? Hey, you, wake up and stop that snoring... tell me, where did every one else go? I was just getting started...

Rick Nightingale pinches himself, because that nearly sent him to sleep!

erm... Hello!

• Haha 8

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Second Life can be totally boring at times.
But that is not a complaint. It is a given fact, that I accept and I just do something else if that happens.
Like hanging around on the forums or if everything else fails, laundry and other housekeeping jobs. :D

Those times when I might potentially be bored due to lack of activity or things I can think of to do, I always have other stuff besides SL to engage with. I can hover for hours on a sim and enjoy just being there, while listening to music or something. And yeah, there's the forums and stuff.

I guess it only really gets boring when I'm too lethargic to do anything or think of what I want to do, but it's been a long time since I've felt that way. If that happened, I'd probably just log off and take the opportunity to sleep or something.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

Rick Nightingale takes a deep breath, inhaling the earthy aroma of the surrounding, moist woodland, his face illuminated by the dappled evening light finding its way through the dense summer leaf growth. Looking around at the scantily-clad group of wood elves that gathered around him excitedly when he arrived with...... wait a minute... group??? Hey, you, wake up and stop that snoring... tell me, where did every one else go? I was just getting started...

erm... Hello!

My character would blurt out something like, "Hey, why is that guy talking so funny?"

But then, that's just how I RP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do not think SL is boring. I can spend hours in my skybox building or doing textures on stuff others have built for me to do so. I go to live music shows and enjoy that to. I would love to role play but I have 0 experience with it and feel foolish at most, or intimidated at best.. ("I only paragraph role play, if you can not paragraph role play then do not even bother iming me") In peoples profiles, inverts my already inverted personality.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

erm... Hello!

all I read was "moist.. "

• Haha 3

I thing how boring or fulfilling SL can be depends entirely on how connected you feel to the world. If you have lots of friends and family, lots of places that you frequent and lots of hobbies /  interests, or things you create, then the world can feel very alive indeed. 

Like anything in life you have to invest something into it, things don't just magically happen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

erm... Hello!

T-tell us more about the wood elves…HOW scantily…exactly?  ARRIVED WITH WHAT AHHHHHHHHH! 
now we will NEVER KNOW!!!111one

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"bored people are boring".

And vice versa.

(Disclaimer... yes, even I'm bored sometimes... but not as a general state :D ... boring can in fact be underrated... there are times in my life that a bit of boredom has been very welcome!)

Edit: Rick Nightingale goes back to making knickers to prevent boredom.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
knickers
  • Like 2

Another way of looking at it is: 

Second Life is "User-Generated Content".

If you find Second Life "boring", are you only "consuming" Second Life?  Are there ways you could "contribute" to Second Life?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My general philosophy is, "bored people are boring".

Just now, Rick Nightingale said:

And vice versa.

I used to think this but there are some people who don’t think in the way search works, whose social skills are often not a good match to the things they do find or encounter, whose imagination works differently when thinking up things to do and ways to approach it. I had a long conversation with someone who several people considered ‘boring’ and he was incredibly shy. And also quite mortified that he just didn’t have ‘good enough’ ideas and engaging ways to communicate well enough that many people wanted to talk to him very long too.  He’s a dragon now, has a lot of fun. Some people need more encouragement. Not saying we owe it to them but often I don’t mind. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I used to think this but there are some people who don’t think in the way search works, whose social skills are often not a good match to the things they do find or encounter, whose imagination works differently when thinking up things to do and ways to approach it. I had a long conversation with someone who several people considered ‘boring’ and he was incredibly shy. And also quite mortified that he just didn’t have ‘good enough’ ideas and engaging ways to communicate well enough that many people wanted to talk to him very long too.  He’s a dragon now, has a lot of fun. Some people need more encouragement. Not saying we owe it to them but often I don’t mind. 

Ok, another approach - often seen here in the Forums is: tell us what may interest you, and people will give advice. 🙂

Having friends helps, too.  (And if you're bored with your friends, find more friends!)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.