Why adult activity on Second Life is good, actually

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

...and the true self can't help but shine though.

That's a bit like saying you can see <actor name> in every acing role <actor name> plays.

None of them tell you anything about the human behind the role. Any ideas about <actor name> as a person are entirely projection .. till you find out they are a screaming stone throwing racist, which is why celebrity tabloids and gossip exist.

Well actually with quite a few actors you can see the persona quite clearly....I guess they aren't such good actors.

But aside from that, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Role playing in SL, being involved yourself in the role play, provides additional clues via the interaction that aren't there when simply viewing a movie.

Do you not pick up on clues via social interaction very easily?

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This is why you're having a hard time with this thread.

You think the roleplay is real. Not playing a character or an aspect.

26 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well actually with quite a few actors you can see the persona quite clearly....I guess they aren't such good actors.

But aside from that, you're comparing apples to oranges here. Role playing in SL, being involved yourself in the role play, provides additional clues via the interaction that aren't there when simply viewing a movie.

This is a very interesting conversation!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
32 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This is why you're having a hard time with this thread.

You think the roleplay is real. Not playing a character or an aspect.

It seems you're the one having a hard time with the thread, not me.

But anyway, I don't think roleplay is real, and yes somebody engaged in roleplay is playing a character or aspect.

However, despite the reality of assuming a character for roleplay purposes, you can still see aspects of their personality via how they interact with people and in situations. For example, you might be able to see they are rather timid and don't take chances as they roleplay a character, or you might be able to see they come on too strong or aggressively when a lighter touch is needed. You can see what kind of situation or person they prefer. Or say they're playing a 'mean' person -- how they interpret what 'mean' actually is shows us who the 'actor' is.

All sorts of things that are detectable through repeated exposure with a person. It's these things that I consider the 'real person' and it always comes through over time.

While it's true all of the above could be adjusted to fit the character to a degree it can never totally squelch out the real personality.

Edited by Luna Bliss

9 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Even in most adult places I go, the assumption is NOT that women want to be talked to like BJ seems to think.... 

How exactly does anyone know BEFORE they talk to.someone how they want to be approached unless it's specifically stated in their profile.OR it's a specific RP region.

The problem is and always has been, a lot of men approach women this way everywhere and then get abusive when rejected.

This actually reminded me of the time I had something like this happen to me [the only time so far, thank goodness]. I was at a PG ballroom, just sitting in a chair and some guy IMed me to complement my dress, I thanked him and he immediately responded with "shut up w----" [you can fill in the rest of that 5 letter word]. I told him "You will not talk to me like that" and he tp'ed out and didn't bother me again.

8 hours ago, VanVox said:

Finding modest clothing options for women can be challenging. The marketplace seems to prioritize revealing and form-fitting outfits, with very few choices for those looking for more conservative attire. I've spent countless hours searching for clothes that provide adequate coverage while avoiding tight fits and excessively short hemlines.

Agreed. If it helps Ison, Thalia Heckroth, some items at Pink Cream Pie and Just Because, and if you don't mine a more old fashioned style, S@bbia, all have some fashions that lean to the less revealing side.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

It seems you're the one having a hard time with the thread, not me.

But anyway, I don't think roleplay is real, and yes somebody engaged in roleplay is playing a character or aspect.

However, despite the reality of assuming a character for roleplay purposes, you can still see aspects of their personality via how they interact with people and in situations. For example, you might be able to see they are rather timid and don't take chances as they roleplay a character, or you might be able to see they come on too strong or aggressively when a lighter touch is needed. You can see what kind of situation or person they prefer. Or say they're playing a 'mean' person -- how they interpret what 'mean' actually is shows us who the 'actor' is.

All sorts of things that are detectable through repeated exposure with a person. It's these things that I consider the 'real person' and it always comes through over time.

While it's true all of the above could be adjusted to fit the character to a degree it can never totally squelch out the real personality.

Watch this series where this actress plays 17 different characters, male and female in the movie SO convincing I forgot they were all the same person.  RPing on a computer is like acting in front of people. A good actress and a good RPer have one thing in common. They are VERY good at what they do.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:
14 hours ago, VanVox said:

Finding modest clothing options for women can be challenging. The marketplace seems to prioritize revealing and form-fitting outfits, with very few choices for those looking for more conservative attire. I've spent countless hours searching for clothes that provide adequate coverage while avoiding tight fits and excessively short hemlines.

Agreed. If it helps Ison, Thalia Heckroth, some items at Pink Cream Pie and Just Because, and if you don't mine a more old fashioned style, S@bbia, all have some fashions that lean to the less revealing side.

Most of my wardrobe is 'modest' attire. COCO, spectacledchic, c'est la vie, even big shops like Addams has plenty. S@bbia has been a favourite for years. But I'd call them cute not old fashioned 😆 

Not always easy to find on MP, that's true - I find new shops at events, hunts, and weekly sales.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Watch this series where this actress plays 17 different characters, male and female in the movie SO convincing I forgot they were all the same person.  RPing on a computer is like acting in front of people. A good actress and a good RPer have one thing in common. They are VERY good at what they do.

I love watching good actors, but I don't think we have any Meryl Streep quality actresses in our midst...

13 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

i very much agree. This is not a place for actual minors and we would have better standing if that was policy.

Half the fear over child avatars is the confusion some have thinking a child avatar and a child's avatar are one and the same.

Adult land doesn't protect you from actual minors with adult looking avatars. It protects you from people who can't find a selector to enable adult content, and now child avatars, and short people.

There is zero barrier between an actual minor and SL adult land. None at all.

Either know your playmates well, or not at all and hope ignorance covers your ass.

Yeah, kids can always lie and create an account and go where they aren't supposed to, but I did like that SL was officially an adult-only place. I really don't want to chat with kids on SL at all. SL is like going to a bar - I don't expect or want to strike up a convo with a 16yr old here. Makes me think 'Vincent Adultman' from Bojack Horseman..

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I love watching good actors, but I don't think we have any Meryl Streep quality actresses in our midst...

We have some very talented and skilled roleplayers who have been doing this a very long time.

We have a forum full of socks and alts and can't always be sure how many of them are [redacted].

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

Most of my wardrobe is 'modest' attire. COCO, spectacledchic, c'est la vie, even big shops like Addams has plenty. S@bbia has been a favourite for years. But I'd call them cute not old fashioned 😆 

Not always easy to find on MP, that's true - I find new shops at events, hunts, and weekly sales.

I also tend toward modest, as well. And I'm also always on the look out for vintage/retro and sci-fi fashions.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I agree with all of those, but didn't think of them in the moment.

Also I love S@bbia, it's my most favorite shop. But wasn't sure how to describe the clothing and was trying to avoid the "little girl clothing" description that I've heard from people in world. I feel it better fits describing it as old fashioned then little girl. But really it's just really nice clothing in general.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Interestingly I don't find Meryl Streep to be a very versatile actress.  When you can watch several movies of an actress/actor and not think of their other roles, that's what I call a good actress.  I.E.  Sally Field, Julia Roberts, Morgan Freeman.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

Yeah, kids can always lie and create an account and go where they aren't supposed to, but I did like that SL was officially an adult-only place. I really don't want to chat with kids on SL at all. SL is like going to a bar - I don't expect or want to strike up a convo with a 16yr old here. Makes me think 'Vincent Adultman' from Bojack Horseman..

One of the reason why I don't just jump on any Tom, Harry or Dick until by chatting with them I can tell they are older.  

I will even test them by asking some obscure question that unless you are older you wouldn't necessarily know about the event or whatever I'm asking about.

I'm 61. My youngest child is 37 years old. I don't go lower than that and yes, I know it's hard to tell but I do my best. 

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We have a forum full of socks and alts and can't always be sure how many of them are [redacted].

Maybe that's the proof they are "great actors", they pretend so well as if it's not obvious who they are!

Is that an example of "childish behavior", or "adult activity"? Hard to say!

6 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

What series is that? The video is unavailable in my country and just links to Youtube.

1 hour ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

One of the reason why I don't just jump on any Tom, Harry or Dick until by chatting with them I can tell they are older.  

I will even test them by asking some obscure question that unless you are older you wouldn't necessarily know about the event or whatever I'm asking about.

I'm 61. My youngest child is 37 years old. I don't go lower than that and yes, I know it's hard to tell but I do my best. 

Oh I feel that ... the closer it gets to the age of my own ... 😬

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

the time has come for us to add another maturity rating - S for senior!  Must be at least 50 to enter. Let's see if the kids dare sneak in there 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I agree the Adult range is a critical part of what SL has to offer. The primary complaint seems to be the amount of unhealthy modes of sexuality that are often practiced. Certainly an important consideration. I would point out that one of the promises of SL as a place where the socially inexperienced can practice without danger. This would include people with serious issues finding a place to experiment with their darkness and decide if it is really a place they wish to dwell. We need to know if people are using SL as part of a healing process?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I have no idea how a thread title claiming adult activity in SL is good, turned into another philosophy/psychology discussion.

Ok I lied, the resident shrink showed up, but it is still not the topic IMO.  RL sex is good, therefore SL sex should also be good for you. Here's what can happen when you don't have sex.  Minimum of 21 days/month is the healthiest. studies show:

https://www.medicinenet.com/sexual_health_what_happens_when_stop_having_sex/article.htm

Now where did I put my keys?...

Edited by Jaylinbridges

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I have no idea how a thread title claiming adult activity in SL is good, turned into another philosophy/psychology discussion.

Ok I lied, the resident shrink showed up, but it is still not the topic IMO.  RL sex is good, therefore SL sex should also be good for you. Here's what can happen when you don't have sex.  Minimum of 21 days/month is the healthiest. studies show:

https://www.medicinenet.com/sexual_health_what_happens_when_stop_having_sex/article.htm

Now where did I put my keys?...

But what if the sexual choice is with someone presenting as underage, or with someone who would be cheating on their RL spouse if that RL spouse disapproved of such activity. Then it would not be good.  That's why we have to consider (with sexuality) the other elements in such an interaction.  Perhaps other de-stressors we have available could work just as well, yet your article made no mention of them.

Edited by Luna Bliss