Lindens Statements from Governance Meeting

6 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Keira said she would feed back suggestions. How long do we think that will take? 

About the same as last time, next week, midweek. They'll need a couple regular workdays to talk it over and adjust the previous changes that were suggested.

14 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Keira said she would feed back suggestions. How long do we think that will take? 

Probably a good idea to throw out any new ideas or serious thoughts before the cutoff..(whenever that is).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

About the same as last time, next week, midweek. They'll need a couple regular workdays to talk it over and adjust the previous changes that were suggested.

Certainly no earlier than that. My own guess would be at least a week. Corporate policy changes usually have to be reviewed by several sets of eyes to be sure that they pass legal scrutiny and are worded well enough to satisfy all the people who will have to explain or apply them. This is a moving target too, since they are getting a steady stream of feedback that they have to read and filter. They may actually wait until it looks like residents have thought of most of the important edge cases that LL ought to be aware of.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

Or you could argue it's stopping people from doing things they shouldn't be doing? I imagine in certain circumstances LL would try to educate people first, but not for the sort of thing we're discussing. 

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

It will stop nothing, if you want to engage in in banned activity, do it with a throw away avatar… oh boo hoo hoo my two day old child avi got banned, whatever will I do?

a throwaway account would likely be the best if I were to take an interest in SL again but not feeling motivated for that right now.

I know of a couple complete avatars that are around 200L$ that were pretty popular with the guys surprisingly, so likely would be the easiest way to go if I went that route.

Posted (edited)

I feel a summary is needed: 

• The fact that LL is taking feedback into consideration is a big positive. If LL want to continue the discourse and improve relations with the kid community then continuing to listen will be a good thing. 
  • We all agreed the back of the female chest modesty layer was not necessary. Hopefully they will remove that requirement and will look into whether prepubscent avatars even need a chest layer. I suspect they will, just because of the optics and how those sort of images can turn out. 
  • While it does not personally effect me, I can see how things like gender issues and non binary issues affect others, it may be a good thing for LL to consider how they can make the wording of the policy more inclusive while maintaining the core message. 
  • The general gist of non binary avatars seemed to be that it was possible, and that the child avatar should wear whatever modesrty layer was most appropriate for how they were choosing to present and be periceved as. 
  • I don't think we've seen the true fallout of furries and anime style avatars being included in the policy. I get the impression that most aren't even aware that they are included. Having looked at some different anime style avatars, I can understand why they are seen as children. The art style really doesn't lend itself to older looking avatars, at least, it seems harder to make one look older anyway. It doesn't help that a lot of people are unaware of what anime is, so they just see a child avatar. 
Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I don't think we've seen the true fallout of furries and anime style avatars being included in the policy. I get the impression that most aren't even aware that they are included.

I'd tend to agree with you on that, and I think the fallout could spread further still.

If you take a look through the recent thread of avatar pics and the estimates of their ages then compare those avatars to some of the ones shown in posts from fashion bloggers, etc on Flickr it seems that there are quite a few avatars that would be considered questionable and I'm betting most of them haven't even read the recent TOS changes and quite possibly wouldn't assume they apply to them personally even if they had.

You could of course argue that it's just a handful of avatars posting the pics but given the number of likes on some of the posts it seems reasonable to assume that the style of the avatars depicted are relatively popular.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:
19 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

I don't think we've seen the true fallout of furries and anime style avatars being included in the policy. I get the impression that most aren't even aware that they are included.

I'd tend to agree with you on that, and I think the fallout could spread further still.

"Fallout from furries" - that must be like when it is "raining cats and dogs"!

I am posting Furry pics in the "Child, or Not?" thread. I don't think many others are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I often think it's marketed to those males running female avatars  The one thing he is right about is a lot of people equate pink with girls...as in little girls.  Could be why all those daddy dom places are mostly pink?  

One of the running gags between myself and my SL sisters is when female avatar shows up with "over proportional" components and dressed like south side hooker on $1 day.   We'll look her over and try to guess the age of the male running her.  

Second Life!  Where men are men and so are half the women!

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

If you take a look through the recent thread of avatar pics and the estimates of their ages then compare those avatars to some of the ones shown in posts from fashion bloggers, etc on Flickr it seems that there are quite a few avatars that would be considered questionable and I'm betting most of them haven't even read the recent TOS changes and quite possibly wouldn't assume they apply to them personally even if they had.

You could of course argue that it's just a handful of avatars posting the pics but given the number of likes on some of the posts it seems reasonable to assume that the style of the avatars depicted are relatively popular.

Agree, especially about Flickr. If you take a look through any of the more active fashion/photo groups there, well...if that's truly how people look in-world, they're in for a surprise.

Not only that, but vendor ads and things. Just browse the promo groups and weekend sales. Welp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Agree, especially about Flickr. If you take a look through any of the more active fashion/photo groups there, well...if that's truly how people look in-world, they're in for a surprise.

Not only that, but vendor ads and things. Just browse the promo groups and weekend sales. Welp.

I looked through that Flickr link you posted earlier and was thinking the models displayed there are going to have to go to Opensim for their photoshoots in future so as to not inadvertently break the new Tos during their sessions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I looked through that Flickr link you posted earlier and was thinking the models displayed there are going to have to go to Opensim for their photoshoots in future so as to not inadvertently break the new Tos during their sessions.

So you think they look too young to be in A-rated regions and should be wearing the mandatory modesty skins?

Would you AR them for being under 18 on Adult land or AR them on G and M for no modesty layer?

Both?

• Like 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

And that's only one of so so so so many groups on there. 

In fact, go peek at today's SoKawaiiSundays ads. Hopefully word about the changes spreads fast in-world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yes I doubt they have any idea what's going on and are in for a rude awakening, as are all the people who follow them and buy the same shapes/skins/outfits.

Still, I guess those bloggers and all their followers don't really matter since all of LL's revenue comes from adult content (apparently), nobody really spends any money on fashion in SL, right?! :)  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

So you think they look too young to be in A-rated regions and should be wearing the mandatory modesty skins?

Would you AR them for being under 18 on Adult land or AR them on G and M for no modesty layer?

Both?

I don't AR. Other vindictive types might.

• Like 1

Inworld people don't really know about this stuff, most people just accepted to TO's without even knowing what changed.  People are not reading lindens blog posts before they play SL.  Yes Kawaii is a huge fashion it has been my entire SL, I really can't help but feel like linden are digging their own grave.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

Inworld people don't really know about this stuff, most people just accepted to TO's without even knowing what changed.  People are not reading lindens blog posts before they play SL.  Yes Kawaii is a huge fashion it has been my entire SL, I really can't help but feel like linden are digging their own grave.

Same, honestly. I don't wear kawaii fashion much (well, maybe on my frog on occasion), but I do really like the style and feel people should be able to wear it if they want to. It's crazy popular both in SL and out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I don't AR. Other vindictive types might.

Definition of vindictive the way it's used in this sentence. 

residents that want to use the platform for what's its there for, not some sick behavior of some adults.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx

51 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Fallout from furries" - that must be like when it is "raining cats and dogs"!

I am posting Furry pics in the "Child, or Not?" thread. I don't think many others are.

It could also be shedding season.

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Definition of vindictive the way it's used in this sentence. 

residents that want to use the platform for what's its there for, not some sick behavior of some adults.

If used for that fine. If just on the suspicious not so much. If because one doesn't like someone or the style of avatar, it is vindictive.