Will The New TOS on Child Avatars Ensnare Short Adults?

7 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

This is not how it works, you have to take my response in it's whole and respond.  I can't reply to your statement as it is just hanging there, out of context, and with no argument made behind it.

Just because I made a statement doesn't mean I'm looking for a response.  That's how it works.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

and yet, the new rules only target the children that are not engaged in s.e.x

why is that?

No. The new rules target all child avatars. What I think you mean is that child avatars that are not engaged in s.e.x feel that they are unjust because of what others have done, and they have to change even though they don't anything wrong. And that may be so, but the rules are aimed at all child avatars. They do not only target those that are not engaged in s.e.x.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

to me, standing alone I totally look like an adult, but in a room full of 8 ft giants (male and female) it could be like hey, who let the kid in?

In fact it makes me uncomfortable sometimes when i only come up to just over everyones waist

Whats the solution? Oh just go bigger they say

Nope sorry took me 14 years in SL to get here, and here is where I’m staying.

If i end up just hanging out with my short friends, it is what it is.

Only fair of me to say that even males over 7 feet is becoming increasingly rare. Inworld etiquette seems to indicate that the fashion is for more realistic heights except maybe in isolated and off the beaten track places. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I've not seen a clarification if under 18 avatars are allowed on A rated sims or not, obviously child avatars are banned, but no mention of say 17 year olds.

I'm short, sometimes I wear a young hair style, young looking clothes, sneakers, will all these combined cause someone to say, "oh no a child avi on adult land" when I tp home.. "AR them"?

What I read in this part is that you are aware you are playing an edge-case.

You know you look young since you pointed out the young hair, young clothes, and short stature.  It also reads like you may be admitting to playing a 17 year old.

As far as the TOS reads, if you're not 18, you are a child and shouldn't be in A land or found without your modesty layer.  I don't think that needs clarified.

I would not AR you for your looks anywhere.  I won't be ARing anyone for being short or playing an anime character or K-pop fan or whatever.

You do, however, recognize your choice of look is right on the edge of acceptable.  The risk of doing adult activities after admitting you chose a very young look is yours to take.  I think most reasonable people would not AR you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Clothing, accessories and behaviour can change a perception, and LL will take it all into account. They give examples what they are looking for. For the most part, the 'child' avatars that need to be most concerned are the clearly 0-12 years old range, and those who 'present' as pre-pubescent.

If that had been clearly stated by LL Governance and those arguing against Child avatars in general, there would be a lot less concern and posting. However you're the exception in that regard and I'm not really sure it is true for Governance as even those older maybe subject to an investigation looking for any hints of past a*eplay transgressions.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

A short avatar only looks childlike when standing next to a much taller avatar. The OPs avatar standing alone doesn’t look like a child because of proportions. Hopefully, when someone sends an AR of a short avatar next to a taller one, LL should be looking at just the avatar proportions and maybe the profile. 

SL avatars are like dogs because they come in a wide range of sizes but height doesn’t determine age. A chihuahua standing next to a great dane isn’t ever confused to be a puppy. LL understands that height should never be a determining factor. 

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

<18 is "child or teen"

>=18 is "adult"

Not sure where the "18 and under" question came from (for consideration as a non-adult).  Shouldn't it have always been "under 18" (for consideration as a non-adult)?

There is no reason that I can see, think of, or remember, why an 18 year-old would not be allowed on Adult land.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure where the "18 and under" question came from

There are some forumites, who have openly admitted more than once they visit kink related A rated locations, and who more recently have admitted they deliberately made their avatars to look 15-17. That is now a ToS Violation.

Change or Die. Stay 15-17, and avoid A rated. Stay A rated and GROW UP. Time to CHOOSE.

As far as I'm concerned, if something bad happens to them that's Governance related, they ASKED for it, and should take what somebody likes to refer to as "personal responsibility" for their fate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Codex Alpha said:

Not a child. Especially since children don't dress in such attire.

& @Rowan Amore these pictures are made with an avatar that is 1m55/5ft08 (the height that I use for years in SL), bewbie size 45 with an LaraX body ... The one in the other thread was a Legacy Classic body, that was 1m34, with bewbies slider on 30, to proof that you can use any adult body to create a childlike avatar. The pics in here are to proof what for impact the windlight setting might have when someone is AR'ng somebody (settings used in both pics are Midday & Midday Legacy).

15 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

A short avatar only looks childlike when standing next to a much taller avatar.

True. This is me next to an average height male avatar. I'm 5'6" (my real life height).

heights.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I guess this is a cultural thing that goes far beyond second life, or maybe its just bitter old women jeslous when they see a woman younger and fitter than they are.

Or maybe it is women who are annoyed to see guys who are older than they are trying to look like young hot girls 😜

Because mature women are so scary  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

That being the case, it seems they will need to avoid adult regions and r-p situations.

see, to be safe, short adults should avoid places where they could be ARed. I guess we are collateral damage.

We had to destroy the village to save it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Kaia Sachin said:

True. This is me next to an average height male avatar. I'm 5'6" (my real life height).

heights.jpg

yep you defo look like a teenager, but standing alone you would look fine

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess this is a cultural thing that goes far beyond second life, or maybe its just bitter old women jeslous when they see a woman younger and fitter than they are.

So, us older women are jealous of your avatar?  Okie dokie!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

What I read in this part is that you are aware you are playing an edge-case.

You know you look young since you pointed out the young hair, young clothes, and short stature.  It also reads like you may be admitting to playing a 17 year old.

As far as the TOS reads, if you're not 18, you are a child and shouldn't be in A land or found without your modesty layer.  I don't think that needs clarified.

I would not AR you for your looks anywhere.  I won't be ARing anyone for being short or playing an anime character or K-pop fan or whatever.

You do, however, recognize your choice of look is right on the edge of acceptable.  The risk of doing adult activities after admitting you chose a very young look is yours to take.  I think most reasonable people would not AR you.

I never ever said i play an underage avatar, where did i say that?

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

So, us older women are jealous of your avatar?  Okie dokie!

im talking about rl women in rl.

If they are jealous in sl, they can just make their own young (over 18) avi

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Kaia Sachin said:

heights.jpg

I disagree with BJ a bit. In that pic you do not look like a child whether or not you are standing next to a giant. Either way, you do look like you could be a little under 18, 18, or over 18; i.e. you are just fine without a modesty layer. If a Linden disagrees, you'll get advice to change a little one way or the other, that's all.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There are some forumites, who have openly admitted more than once they visit kink related A rated locations, and who more recently have admitted they deliberately made their avatars to look 15-17. That is now a ToS Violation.

Change or Die. Stay 15-17, and avoid A rated. Stay A rated and GROW UP. Time to CHOOSE.

As far as I'm concerned, if something bad happens to them that's Governance related, they ASKED for it, and should take what somebody likes to refer to as "personal responsibility" for their fate.

I'm waiting on wannabe Goths for fashion tips on how to quickly change a younger looking avatar to one aged 10 years older by simply making an outfit dark, sombre and angry. It works quite well from some look I converted on a whim.

46 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Only fair of me to say that even males over 7 feet is becoming increasingly rare. Inworld etiquette seems to indicate that the fashion is for more realistic heights except maybe in isolated and off the beaten track places. 

Lets hope thats true, when im with a guy even a foot taller  we look realistic and well proportioned, not like when the guy is over 7 ft and it looks like we are at a daddy daughter dance

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I disagree with BJ a bit. In that pic you do not look like a child whether or not you are standing next to a giant. Either way, you do look like you could be a little under 18, 18, or over 18; i.e. you are just fine without a modesty layer. If a Linden disagrees, you'll get advice to change a little one way or the other, that's all.

I'd really like to see a Linden sending out fashion tips on how to be older rather than letters banning a resident for not having done so on their own. Thinking maybe its something they might have done in the olden days but those are long gone.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm waiting on wannabe Goths for fashion tips on how to quickly change a younger looking avatar to one aged 10 years older by simply making an outfit dark, sombre and angry. It works quite well from some look I converted on a whim.

Oh, those pesky Goths, which make live unbearable in SL :D

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

😂

Keeping in mind I'm 6'6" on a day without massive heels and any need to be taller, avatar height isn't something I would ever even look at to begin with. Tall, medium, short - I can't see that being the sole indicator of anything. Unless your avatar is designed to be a toddler and showing up somewhere inappropriate, it's just not that serious.

That said, it would help if you told us (if you haven't already - it's possible I missed it) what age range you're targeting. If you're concerned you look too young, you can age up easily without having to touch your base avatar. I find working with photo references very helpful when I'm making an avatar in a certain age range (for both face/body shaping and fashion/accessorizing).

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Fixing Stuffs
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Hey, I resemble that remark! Not the wannabe part, tho.  😆

Is this a serious request, though? Aging up avatars is something I do quite often just given the fact that base heads always seem to start in the 20s. Sigh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think Goths that add a lot of piercings, convincingly "add age" to their avatar.

It ends up looking like a young avatar with piercings.

Same with tattoos.

I'm not being "critical", just giving my honest opinion!