So what changed in the Terms of Service?

2 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

there has been worse insults from several people and no one got banned.

I mean, you're not wrong... but at the same time there's no reason to push your luck and it's probably best to avoid reacting heatedly to anything in this thread, it's already hot enough in here!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Very much so.

I think they've done the minimum they thought they needed to do to show that they were paying attention, and "doing something."

The fact that child avatars are still permitted in Moderate rated regions is an indication of that.

This could have been a LOT worse.

Comrade Stalin was talking to two subordinates about how to best control the population. He gave each one a small bird and said show me what you would do to control the population. One held the bird so tightly that he accidentally killed it. The other held the bird so loosely, that it flew away.

Fools, muttered Stalin, and taking a third bird, he held it by its feet and slowly plucked every feather from the birds body, he lay the now naked shivering bird in his open palm and said see, the bird is grateful even for the warmth of my hand

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I just assumed they'd released a prequel, since they seem to have "rebooted" just about everything else in modern literature already.

Literature, movies, music, second life clothing and just about everything else.. I'm waiting for the day I run into a rebooted version of myself, it happens so much.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I mean, you're not wrong... but at the same time there's no reason to push your luck and it's probably best to avoid reacting heatedly to anything in this thread, it's already hot enough in here!

Yeah but there are people who have been pushing their luck, constant accusations, calling people names, harassing here and there, mocking others. I'm pretty sure Lindens have seen this all going on.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

AI trained on SL chat . . .

Now THAT is a dystopian nightmare.

Maybe we could at least get some decent RP from AI..

On a serious note, I'm a survivor of SA (at age 13-14). I find this thread triggering, and feel like many who support the child avatars are gaslighting. Sorry for the honesty.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Starberry Passion said:

Yeah but there are people who have been pushing their luck, constant accusations, calling people names, harassing here and there, mocking others. I'm pretty sure Lindens have seen this all going on.

before a mole shows up.... 79 pages, after a mole shows up... 29 pages 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BriannaLovey said:
19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, but what I hope we do NOT get into is a sort of "shoot 'em all, and let God sort it out" mentality.

I do worry there is going to be, for at least the first little while, an absolute firestorm of ARs.

Of course there will be. A ton of collateral damage will happen. If enough people lose their $2000 + accounts over this, it will take another chunk out of LL's already damaged reputation.

I'm a bit worried about the flood of ARs, not so much that it will affect many innocent child avatars (I doubt it will) but because the Governance budget is going to eat into Development, advertising, etc., just when those could otherwise benefit the platform's future.

It might help if, in addition to explaining the whole elaborate AR appeals process (useful) they also issued a reminder that falsified ARs have consequences for the reporting account. Not to discourage people from reporting true violations they found personally offensive, but ARs as instruments of inter-resident conflict really can't be tolerated.

(I've given up on making the argument many pages ago, but I still feel the Lab has unrealistic expectations about the effect of whitewashing the naughty bits of child avatar skins. It may have some benefit as a communications device, "Don't touch the smooth parts or Sister Agnes will take a ruler to your evil little fingers", but it's not going to make Governance's job all that much easier.)

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, but what I hope we do NOT get into is a sort of "shoot 'em all, and let God sort it out" mentality.

I do worry there is going to be, for at least the first little while, an absolute firestorm of ARs.

If these changes kick off a panic like the maturity ratings and the teen grid merger did. Put on your best bullet proof wear, because you won't want to catch a stray from a drive by meant for someone else..

hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At the same time, it needs to also be acknowledged that the sexualization of young people is by no means uncommon in anime culture (and I'm not just talking about Hentai).

Want a list? Shonen Ai, Yaoi, Futa, Loli, etc. are not necessarily all "hentai", but all "generally" sexualize young people. People argue about this a lot, and tend to disagree. The reason I listed these - on topic - is, many "anime" character types are based on these manga types, which often (if not always) sexualize young characters.  How do I know? How am I an expert? That's personal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

there has been worse insults from several people and no one got banned.

People don't get "banned" for insults and personal attacks, generally. Posts get deleted, Mods post warnings, threads get locked, and transgressors get a DM from the Mods.

I am an expert. 👍🏾

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

Weird, not seeing this on the knowledge base or the official linden labs website. 🤔Just:

Moderate. Second Life's Moderate designation accommodates most of the non-adult activities common in Second Life.

Ah! I see where your problem is.

You don't havve a clue about the limits on joining SL inplace for the last 21 years.

Pay attention.

People UNDER 13 may not join SL AT ALL.

People aged 13-15 can only join SL when sponsored by an educational body, and are restricted to the private region/s owned by THAT educational body.

People aged 16-17 CAN join SL, but are restricted to G rated areas.

People aged 18+ can Join SL, and visit M and A rated areas

So technically, that would actually make G rated Areas PG-16 and M and A rated are 18+ ONLY, with public sex and violence limited to A rated.

Hope that's not too hard for you to grasp.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm a bit worried about the flood of ARs, not so much that it will affect many innocent child avatars (I doubt it will) but because the Governance budget is going to eat into Development, advertising, etc., just when those could otherwise benefit the platform's future.

It might help if, in addition to explaining the whole elaborate AR appeals process (useful) they also issued a reminder that falsified ARs have consequences for the reporting account. Not to discourage people from reporting true violations they found personally offensive, but ARs as instruments of inter-resident conflict really can't be tolerated.

(I've given up on making the argument many pages ago, but I still feel the Lab has unrealistic expectations about the effect of whitewashing the naughty bits of child avatar skins. It may have some benefit as a communications device, "Don't touch the smooth parts or Sister Agnes will take a ruler to your evil little fingers", but it's not going to make Governance's job all that much easier.)

Oh I am all for them spending all their time on reports. I would love for them to throw all their development resources aside and end up banning a ton of genuinely innocent users because Karen the safety addict got triggered. Anything that kills off LL's network effect advantage is good in my book.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Want a list? Shonen Ai, Yaoi, Futa, Loli, etc. are not necessarily all "hentai", but all "generally" sexualize young people. People argue about this a lot, and tend to disagree. The reason I listed these - on topic - is, many "anime" character types are based on these manga types, which often (if not always) sexualize young characters.  How do I know? How am I an expert? That's personal.

Two out of four ain't bad: kind of sounds like you just googled hentai terms though.

Yaio: It's a subset of manga/anime that centres around romantic relationships between two men. Can be romance or Hentai.

Futa: Short for Futanari, Futanari is the Japanese word for hermaphroditism. Straight up hentai term.

The other two are straight up hentai that do involve younger characters. Thankfully being illegal in my country.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BriannaLovey said:

Oh I am all for them spending all their time on reports. I would love for them to throw all their development resources aside and end up banning a ton of genuinely innocent users because Karen the safety addict got triggered. Anything that kills off LL's network effect advantage is good in my book.

Pretty sure that was exactly the motivation behind the bogus "report" that led to all this extra distraction for everybody.

It's bizarre to me that so little rage is directed at the originator(s) of this disaster. Instead we've been busy assembling the circular firing squad while the villain rides into the sunset, whistling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Ah! I see where your problem is.

You don't havve a clue about the limits on joining SL inplace for the last 21 years.

Pay attention.

People UNDER 13 may not join SL AT ALL.

People aged 13-15 can only join SL when sponsored by an educational body, and are restricted to the private region/s owned by THAT educational body.

People aged 16-17 CAN join SL, but are restricted to G rated areas.

People aged 18+ can Join SL, and visit M and A rated areas

So technically, that would actually make G rated Areas PG-16 and M and A rated are 18+ ONLY, with public sex and violence limited to A rated.

Hope that's not too hard for you to grasp.

The mental gymnastics your going through to make your position of wanting to ban a few thousand users from the majority of second life sound reasonable are extraordinary.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Pretty sure that was exactly the motivation behind the bogus "report" that led to all this extra distraction for everybody.

It's bizarre to me that so little rage is directed at the originator(s) of this disaster. Instead we've been busy assembling the circular firing squad while the villain rides into the sunset, whistling.

I still say this is all because thune bought tilia

59 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

How do you keep pulling this stuff out of your ass?  It's like a stage magician's handkerchiefs.

I'm sorry, did you mis the part where for more than 20 years, LL has clearly stated that under 18's CANNOT visit M rated land ?

Maybe you should pay more attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

This is all LL's fault. The SL motto is "Your World, Your Imagination"

I guess LL never imagined that SL would fill up with so many perverts.

😂

Once upon a time the perverts were a minority in SL and swept under the rug for awhile. It was short but sweet.

Edited by Leslie Trihey
  • Haha 2

Page 79 and we're now at the stage of people proudly announcing they're going to be happily issuing AR's against people for using an anime avatar...

Great work LL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's why a few people have mentioned the necessity of skins for Maitreya (for instance) with baked-in modesty undies.

In practice, of course, anyone using a Maitreya can likely just claim to be 18+ if they are ever queried on it.

The Maitreya body is a body for adult people. Don't punish those that are using the body as intended because a minority of them are abusing it for things that can't see the light of the day. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I'm sorry, did you mis the part where for more than 20 years, LL has clearly stated that under 18's CANNOT visit M rated land ?

Maybe you should pay more attention.

You are aware we are talking about avatars piloted by adults right? 🤔Seriously, we get it you hate child avatars and want them gone. Sucks to be you.

Maybe you should stick to adult only land and venues if the possibility of running into one bothers you so much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Leslie Trihey said:

The mental gymnastics your going through to make your position of wanting to ban a few thousand users from the majority of second life sound reasonable are extraordinary.

It's not "mental gymnastics". LL set the age limits for accessiing different parts of SL, THEY say "no user under 18 can visit M rated regions", THEY say M rated regions can have non-pg-13 stuff like nudity, sexy clothes, and burlesque clubs.

If you haave a problem with that, feel free to complain to the nearest Linden that 13 year olds can't watch movies rated 18 for nudity, or loiter in strip clubs and pole dancing bars.

Not MY problem that you are wrong, it's your problem.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I still say this is all because thune bought tilia

Reminder that you should probably withdraw any L$ you have as soon as possible, or at least keep a minimal amount in your account to pay for stuff.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1