glTF uploads are coming. How will that work?

Questions:

• glTF has point lights (which SL has), directional lights (sun), and cone lights (like projectors, but without the projector stencil texture.) Will all those be available with glTF upload?
  • Can we have lots of lights, at least the ones without shadows? Do we get to pick which ones throw shadows?
  • Do we get a hierarchy, or does the glTF structure get flattened? Come on, give us a hierarchy like everybody else has.
  • What's the plan for levels of detail? glTF doesn't normally have LODs; that's an extension.
  • If we upload the well known Bistro test scene into a sandbox, will it work?
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

We have? Scene import already works somewhere??

Here, currently: https://github.com/secondlife/viewer/releases/tag/Second_Life_Release%238465a8a-pmfp

If you're reading this in the future, the above link and below information will be out of date.

To import a glTF scene: Develop - Render Tests - Preview glTF scene

Some details off the top of my head:

• The scene is imported similar to local mesh, it hangs off of a surrogate prim (which affects the scene's scale/rotation). 1x1x1 prim will import the scene at 1:1 scale.
  • There's no size limit, scenes can be miles wide (limit TBD).
  • There's no limit on faces/textures/triangles (as intended).
  • The scene nodes can be animated and meshes can be skinned to nodes (skinned meshes limited to 110 bones for now, no limit for static meshes).
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Here, currently: https://github.com/secondlife/viewer/releases/tag/Second_Life_Release%238465a8a-pmfp

If you're reading this in the past, the above link and below information will be out of date.

To import a glTF scene: Develop - Render Tests - Preview glTF scene

Some details off the top of my head:

• The scene is imported similar to local mesh, it hangs off of a surrogate prim (which affects the scene's scale/rotation). 1x1x1 prim will import the scene at 1:1 scale.
  • There's no size limit, scenes can be miles wide (limit TBD).
  • There's no limit on faces/textures/triangles (as intended).
  • The scene nodes can be animated and meshes can be skinned to nodes (skinned meshes limited to 110 bones for now, no limit for static meshes).

is this going to replace sim surrounds ?

4 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

In this instance the term "scene" refers to a collection of (mesh) objects that can be imported as a single file rather than having anything to do with "scenery".

ETA: Assuming that they don't leave the scene size at "miles wild", which would seem unlikely since having the ability to rez "miles wide" coalesced objects would be insane!

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

Depends what the size limits will become. My understanding is that scenes will be allowed to be bigger than 64m. An estate-setting has been suggested for max size, but it's too early to say anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

In this instance the term "scene" refers to a collection of (mesh) objects that can be imported as a single file rather than having anything to do with "scenery".

is just that Wulfie mentioned that a glTF scene can be miles wide, with no limit on textures and faces,  all hanging off a surrogate prim. So I thought of sim surrounds

but now you explain it then I can see it can be much more than just this

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Depends what the size limits will become. My understanding is that scenes will be allowed to be bigger than 64m. An estate-setting has been suggested for max size, but it's too early to say anything.

upto 512 would be quite good, understanding that the physics box still be 256 wide

Just now, elleevelyn said:

is just that Wulfie mentioned that a glTF scene can be miles wide, with no limit on textures and faces,  all hanging off a surrogate prim. So I thought of sim surrounds

but now you explain it then I can see it can be much more than just this

Yes, I spotted that line immediately after hitting the Submit button and thought "oh, wait..." but then after consideration figured that it's unlikely they'd allow anything that large.

As useful as it may be for well-intentioned residents they ultimately have to (hopefully) consider how open to abuse it is and how much chaos it could potentially cause.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elleevelyn said:

upto 512 would be quite good, understanding that the physics box still be 256 wide

I've often wondered how well a combination of sculpted megaprims and large scale mesh would work for sim surrounds,  sculpties can extend the visible terrain by an additional 128 meters along each edge and the mesh could add additional details to the foreground while providing a barrier to stop people getting close enough to the sim edge to see the transition.

• Like 1

How will the Khronos group monetize their investment?  I am always very cautious about things marked 'royalty-free'.  It is usually code for 'we'll get you when you're hooked'.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Amore said:

After PBR and glTF, the logical upgrade is towards 'miles long' sims. Even if these are instanced regions detached from the main grid, it's a fair compromise to support new content.

If you visit the Other Simulator, you can see how that works out. Huge, empty areas. You don't get any more stuff per region. The result is rather barren.

• Thanks 1