Lab Gab April 2024 - Comments? Discussion?

3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Oh yeah, that did come up a while ago and yeah the prediction was that age verification would be necessary to pass the Google/Apple sniff test. Shame it's going to affect the entire grid now, I think I'd be totally fine with it if it only concerned mobile users but realistically how do you even achieve that. :|

In that video it seemed they were considering some sort of mobile subscription plan so they could probably do it through that where only those passing through Google's own Access age-restricted content page can download the Mobile viewer. I'd assume Apple has a similar ability to restrict who can buy the app.

• Like 3

Sl had age verification before in the old days. Many other places have age verification. I had mine since 2008 back then all we had to do was social or Id. Age verification helps you go to adult places where they don't what eyes should be there in places they should not.  But all was a badge with an age check mark, nothing else.  Nothing to be afraid of it to protect the adults also keep out those not in right age. Only the customer service sees your info. They want to make sure your adult knows that others in sl can get your info just like when you put in billing you have to do some things.  Long ago the problem was older kids could take their parents credit card so they want to crack down on these things to keep them out of the adult region and stuff.  How ever sl will do verification just say adult it won't share your age or real life nothing of that so cheer up some changes have to happen. Sl is still are home they want to make it safe for us all! Change happens it's part of growth yes but to make a place better we gotta do better.   You can go to the sl meetings so on they said they want to hear feedback so speak up but be kind lets work together we are residents we help each other as team work.

middle 123.png

Edited by AllisonBridgerton

30 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The Lab only has to start requiring it on any new clothing items to begin with. And yes, there ways to have the Viewers made to detect the height of the avatar, heads and bodies used, etc. That is aside from the AR's that could be filed and acted on with more surety if a given avatar is wandering about with a higher rating then their current outfit/look would allow. If the Lab is so serious about policing the grid for underage looking avatars, they could put out some guidance as to the most likely looks that would put someone in the wrong age bracket to be considered adult.

You like objecting to people's ideas about what could be done to make it easier and more efficient but never seem to have any ideas of you own other then to manually AR suspicious avatars if they are standing too close to suspected Adult furniture.

Usually you're so full of good ideas.

I'm objecting because the ideas won't really work.  Say I use Maitreya with a flat chest but my avatar is taller.  I also have pigtails, braces, with my big round eyes and chubby cheeks.  I'm wearing a bathing suit.  I basically look like a tall tween.  BTW, I was a taller than average tween.  Which part of that will the viewer detect as appearing to be a minor.  Not the height or body or head.  Those are all used by adult avatars.  A bathing suit?  Adults and children wear those.  Will it be able to detect how my face.looks?  Who will decide if that face is the face of a young adult or an older child?

Now add some curves, not much but some and is she 16, 17 or 18.  She still has the braces and pigtails.  Although, some adults do wear braces.and usually invisible.ones, the average age is between 10-14.  So, would wearing those, which are included on Lelutka heads, be an indication of a child?

There is just too much subjectivity with attachments, shape, height, for it to.work.within the viewer.  

I don't have an answer and believe me,.I wish I did.  I'm also not saying most of these questionable looking avatars are involved in CP.   But who decides.if they're breaking the rule against underage looking avatars near adult activity?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like to see settings we can put adult only 18 who can contact us. Creators need the one says creating , And better ones says away , or building , friends only , do not bother so on. Everyone got a story not all are here for slex but some times people like to have company and romance so the adult be thankful when verification comes you earned your badge. Creators need that creator badge so people can not copy them make diffren't account.

Please sl be fair about uploads tho can just be 1L  for residents or just make it free for all the economy not changed we want to be able to have lovely art and stuff.  Truly I like to have quotes and put frosted flower glass in window's like to change every now and then. This is are therapy of art when we decor are house or just want to put in a frame. 

adult only.png

Edited by AllisonBridgerton
  • Confused 1

And what's to stop that adult-verified very adult player from getting up from the PC to cook dinner and their teen sitting down and piloting their avatar in their absence? What's to stop an adult from passing their phone over to a non-adult with the logged-in mobile app open in the background completely forgotten?

Age verification for the Internet is so impossibly silly.

I don't grumble too much about sites using ID verification for employment/work/freelancing purposes as the goal there is usually to prevent fraud, but AGE? Come on, man.

You can simply input a birthday on Steam and get access to the most brutal violence I've ever seen in media (go check Outlast or one of the more recent Mortal Kombat games or something). If anything, that site should be the first to figure this out.

Besides, user age is not even the issue at hand, so why they're talking about bringing that back, I'll never know.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If it's "adult-RATED" it shouldn't be on M-RATED regions at all. I'm making the RATED bold and in red because it's apparently very hard for some people to see.

This misconception that M i somehow neatly between G and A tanks all attempts to define boundaries that users can follow.

Please take some time to read the definitions. We went though all this during the 2007 panic.

• G rated is too restrictive for Disney. Following the rules as written, a good F bomb comes with a ban (and LL used to enforce this!).
  • M is everything up to and including strip clubs, burlesque clubs, latex pony play, homes full of sex furniture, bondage devices, cats and dogs living together .. all so long as it's behind closed doors and not publicly promoted.
  • A adds the ability to sell sex (and other intensely graphic stuff)  and to advertise and publicly promote it.

A rated doesn't mean ADULT. A means PUBLICLY PROMOTED ADULT.

G rated is safe for the tele-tubbies.

M rated is safe to watch and act out scenes from the human centipede in your own home.

A lets you publicly invite people over to spectate and charge an admission.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, AllisonBridgerton said:

I like to see settings for  message says only adults 18 can only contact us.

You can post that in your profile now. 

I don't mind interacting with child avatars on G or M.  I do it all the time.

However, if I ever met someone on adult land in a child avatar, I would leave.  No interaction.  Not even a "hi."

I think it should be the responsibility of the adult wearing the child avatar to not go to adult regions.  They're for adults. Like anywhere else, if they want to go to adult regions, they should put on an adult avatar.  Any (obvious) child avatar (and the account used) should be AR'd and restricted from adult areas for a while.  If they try to go back after their "vacation" with the child avatar a 2nd time, the account should be banned.

By "obvious" I mean they run their avatar only as a child. Profile saying they are 8, love their mommy, and have a bedtime of 7pm. Profile pic of a child in a toddler bed.

That's probably harsh considering I have friends who exclusively use child avatars, but that is my opinion on child avatars in adult regions.  They should not be going to them.

As Rowan brought up, edge cases where you can't tell whether someone is playing a 16 year old or an 18 year old are a different story.  No matter what rules they make to identify young avatars, someone will find a way around it.

I guess that will have be up to the discretion of the region owner.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What if someone's avatar is adult, but they RP as a child?! We need answers!!

There are adults that like having their diapers changed, but we aren't kink shaming.  

Also, plenty of obviously adult avatars act like children.  Some are right here in the forum. :D

I have no idea how region owners are going to police their own regions, but it should be up to them for those edge cases.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

There are adults that like having their diapers changed, but we aren't kink shaming.  

Also, plenty of obviously adult avatars act like children.  Some are right here in the forum. :D

I have no idea how region owners are going to police their own regions, but it should be up to them for those edge cases.

Well, I meant literally - if an adult wearing an adult avatar RP's exactly as if they are a child, how is that different from a "child avatar"? It's a real question, but hard to explain.

28 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This misconception that M i somehow neatly between G and A tanks all attempts to define boundaries that users can follow.

Please take some time to read the definitions. We went though all this during the 2007 panic.

• G rated is too restrictive for Disney. Following the rules as written, a good F bomb comes with a ban (and LL used to enforce this!).
  • M is everything up to and including strip clubs, burlesque clubs, latex pony play, homes full of sex furniture, bondage devices, cats and dogs living together .. all so long as it's behind closed doors and not publicly promoted.
  • A adds the ability to sell sex (and other intensely graphic stuff)  and to advertise and publicly promote it.

A rated doesn't mean ADULT. A means PUBLICLY PROMOTED ADULT.

G rated is safe for the tele-tubbies.

M rated is safe to watch and act out scenes from the human centipede in your own home.

A lets you publicly invite people over to spectate and charge an admission.

..so? If LL says, "no children on M or A", them's the rules.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I was hoping this discussion could be about some of the other topics,  but the AP topic keeps taking over.

I know, right? Pick a topic, let's do it!!

I like the fact there's no plan to charge for Mobile...

Edited by Love Zhaoying

33 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I was hoping this discussion could be about some of the other topics,  but the AP topic keeps taking over.

because this affects the shape of our community and all systems and rules pertaining to social outcomes can and will be abused effectively

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I know, right? Pick a topic, let's do it!!

I like the fact there's no plan to charge for Mobile...

I just went and listened to parts of this again. I'm hearing that yes, they will have this range of prices for uploading the 2048 texture -- 50L for free accounts, 40L for Premium and 10L for Premium Plus. So it's a shame to lose the free uploads, which for me is the only point of the PP account.

BUT it's not clear to me IF 2048 will become the ONLY type of texture and "mandatory" (with a hardstop when you atttempt to upload? or how?) or whether there will still be the range of 512 and 1024, with the same old prices for those sizes, i.e. free for PP.

I'm just not getting why they would make 2048 mandatory, when it won't load for many people.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

because this affects the shape of our community and all systems and rules pertaining to social outcomes can and will be abused effectively

Cool! 
Oh, sorry - thought that was an AI-written response. Maybe just voice dictation.

8 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm just not getting why they would make 2048 mandatory, when it won't load for many people.

Want me to go back and find my posts on this and Coffee's response, where she admitted 2048 is not really mandatory? That "mandatory" bit was invented in this thread, apparently. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

BUT it's not clear to me IF 2048 will become the ONLY type of texture and "mandatory" (with a hardstop when you atttempt to upload? or how?) or whether there will still be the range of 512 and 1024, with the same old prices for those sizes, i.e. free for PP.

It wont be mandatory, that was a poor choice of words on my part that got picked up by the resident pedants.

2048 textures will become the de-facto norm as no creator given the option will elect to create lower "perceived quality" items.

2K is "mandatory" because bigger numbers more better

Mesh is "mandatory" because no will buy things made from prim.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It wont be mandatory, that was a poor choice of words on my part that got picked up by the resident pedants.

2048 textures will become the de-facto norm as no creator given the option will elect to create lower "perceived quality" items.

2K is "mandatory" because bigger numbers more better

Mesh is "mandatory" because no will buy things made from prim.

I apologize if I was one who initially took your use of "mandatory" literally; I tried hard to relate your explanation to at least one other who also took it that way. Too bad people "ran with it" so much!

Thanks for setting the record straight again. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I apologize if I was one who initially took your use of "mandatory" literally; I tried hard to relate your explanation to at least one other who also took it that way. Too bad people "ran with it" so much!

Thanks for setting the record straight again. 

Perhaps a better way to phrase it would be that it will only be a short time before 2048 textures become the defacto standard for content creation, and anything smaller will be viewed by many as 'low rez' or 'blurry old junk'. 2048 textures will be a selling point.. "HD" will define the 'new hotness' from the 'old and busted'.

Nevermind that no one needs fifteen 2048 diamond textures on an engagement ring.

Ironically, the one place where we desperately need PBR and higher resolution textures (the mainland GROUND) LL has said we'll probably never get them.

Edited by Honey Puddles
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2024 at 7:58 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Many small textures are more work for the viewer than a single big texture. Don't ever use multiple 512 textures when you can get away with a single 1024 or now, 2048.

Performance doesn't die because of one big bad, it dies from many small individually insignificant cuts.

At the same time, using a higher resolution texture than necessary is also not a great idea. If it can be accomplished with a single 1024 texture, that is better than using 2048 for 2048's sake.

• Like 1