I decided to make my Second Life a tad bit easier. I disabled incoming IMs from "non-friends" for some of my accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Paul Hexem said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Really, Paul, it's not a good thing to trash people you simply don't understand.

Irony, well met!

Besides, I understand it perfectly. I do it too, but way more obviously.

If you understand Gopi's behavior then why would you accuse him of just trying to rile things up?  He's exploring, wanting a discussion.

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Isn't that one of those 4chan hangouts?  You can deal.with those.types on a.male avatar but are.annoyed when your female avatar gets hit on?  I'd think anything from the first group would be more annoying than just about anything anyone said anywhere.

It's just...I dunno. People (admittedly, many at the Boardroom are trolls) seem more brutal toward women than men. Especially if they don't voice.(I do voice as other accounts. I have a masculine voice - in order to address @Love Zhaoying's query.) It's kinda hard to explain. Maybe I'm just more sensitive as a woman?

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Further evidence that threads like these are made just to rile the forums up, like I was saying.

Except that statement wasn't made to rile people up. I really do feel more sensitive as a woman. I don't know why, it's kinda hard to explain.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I'm British, we have this thing called BBC2. Real documentaries, with real science, from real universities.

Good for you.  But you need to stop watching commercial cable and form your silly opinions based on entertainment channels.  We have PBS educational TV here, and despite the right wing cutting their funding, they still produce a few great documentaries.  They also import terrible British TV shows that bore everyone, but that's all they can afford since they are dependent on public donations and institutional funding now.  We also have universities that have led the world in science, and history.  You just sound ignorant, but I know it's all for show. Nobody can really be that hateful and uniformed of reality, can they?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

It's just...I dunno. People (admittedly, many at the Boardroom are trolls) seem more brutal toward women than men. Especially if they don't voice.(I do voice as other accounts. I have a masculine voice - in order to address @Love Zhaoying's query.) It's kinda hard to explain. Maybe I'm just more sensitive as a woman?

Yes, I'd imagine at the places you mentioned, those type of people would be more brutal toward female avatars.  In general, the places I go and the people I see and talk to are pleasant and I've only used voice a handful of times in 14 years.  Men might ask, I decline, they move on.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes, I'd imagine at the places you mentioned, those type of people would be more brutal toward female avatars.  In general, the places I go and the people I see and talk to are pleasant and I've only used voice a handful of times in 14 years.  Men might ask, I decline, they move on.  

Then I guess I really should find better places to hang out then....

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Given the bolded - Why would you even want to hang out there on ANY kind of avatar? Doesn't exactly sound like a friendly, chill bunch.

Figure out what it is you enjoy doing (listening to live music, attending art gallery showings, traveling/exploring, shopping, dancing at fancy masquerade balls, playing games, decorating, chatting about books, going to beaches, roleplaying, racing vehicles, riding motorcycles, etc.) and look for venues/groups that cater to those things.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Given the bolded - Why would you even want to hang out there on ANY kind of avatar? Doesn't exactly sound like a friendly, chill bunch.

Figure out what it is you enjoy doing (listening to live music, attending art gallery showings, traveling/exploring, shopping, dancing at fancy masquerade balls, playing games, decorating, chatting about books, going to beaches, roleplaying, racing vehicles, riding motorcycles, etc.) and look for venues/groups that cater to those things.

I admit I find the drama and banter amusing. As a man or non-human I would draw the trolls attention or ire less I suppose. I guess @Paul Hexem is right about me liking drama ( as long as I'm not a part of it)....

But i suppose I'm giving into bad habits and should hang out at more wholesome places....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I admit I find the drama and banter amusing. As a man or non-human I would draw the trolls attention or ire less I suppose. I guess @Paul Hexem is right about me liking drama ( as long as I'm not a part of it)....

But i suppose I'm giving into bad habits and should hang out at more wholesome places....

Admittedly, I like drama, too, but I've got my limits. Trolling directed at a specific group (or in this case, gender) is just mean-spirited and not very fun. Petty, dumb drama between individuals (like two streamers snatching each others' wigs over some nonsense resulting in silly fanbase beef that spans across 3 different social media platforms), yeah, sign me up for that. 

bdf79d31c09f35048b38eab36ea147d4.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Irony, well met!

Besides, I understand it perfectly. I do it too, but way more obviously.

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I suspect you don't have the type of personality that explores other mindsets easily. But that's no excuse to accuse someone of egregious actions (those being...simply wanting to rile the forums up without any sort of sincerity).

Really, Paul, it's not a good thing to trash people you simply don't understand.

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

If you understand Gopi's behavior then why would you accuse him of just trying to rile things up?  He's exploring, wanting a discussion.

8 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

And the truth comes out. Paul was right all along!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And the truth comes out. Paul was right all along!

Well, I admitted it a while back. I'll own up to it. But I maintain I also like discussion in addition to drama.

Also, I still don't think he understands that I do feel different when I'm playing as a woman than as a man or non-human (hence why I might adopt different behaviors as such - such as being reluctant to go to places like Boardroom as a woman.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Well, I admitted it a while back. I'll own up to it. But I maintain I also like discussion in addition to drama.

Also, I still don't think he understands that I do feel different when I'm playing as a woman than as a man or non-human (hence why I might adopt different behaviors as such - such as being reluctant to go to places like Boardroom as a woman.)

You might be surprised what he understands since I play a complete bimbo in sl... even though I'm not so of one in in reality. We've had many conversations about split personalities using different avatars and other topics around this. We keep it light because, bleh.. last thing I want is to do heavy here. I do see people assume all sorts of things about him. It's pretty funny, but whatever.. it's definitely not surprising.

But he does like to troll he has the mug for it.... so yes there is that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I understand about feeling different when playing a different gender or character but well you probably realize that when I voice an opinion, I am right there in the thick of it defending it rather then letting others fight it out. The sitting back is not something I relate to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I understand about feeling different when playing a different gender or character but well you probably realize that when I voice an opinion, I am right there in the thick of it defending it rather then letting others fight it out. The sitting back is not something I relate to.

I suppose you're saying I should be more assertive? I do agree.

39 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I

Women, on average, are more vulnerable out in the world, in any world.  They are also more sensitive and have more empathy on average. It makes sense that if you're trying to understand a woman's perspective you'd visit the places where you're more likely experience what this feels like to greater degree. Hence your choices so far.

I think it would be beneficial to complete your desire for this understanding via going to more positive places now and participating as a woman. Some of the therapy groups in SL, for example. Or various other types of groups that primarily consist of women.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Women, on average, are more vulnerable out in the world, in any world.  They are also more sensitive and have more empathy on average. It makes sense that if you're trying to understand a woman's perspective you'd visit the places where you're more likely experience what this feels like to greater degree.

I think it would be beneficial to complete your desire for this understanding via going to more positive places now and participating as a woman. Some of the therapy groups in SL, for example. Or various other types of groups that primarily consist of women.

You don't think he should hang out in those places where he will feel more emotional to get a better sense of what a woman feels rather then thinks? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Women, on average, are more vulnerable out in the world, in any world.  They are also more sensitive and have more empathy on average. It makes sense that if you're trying to understand a woman's perspective you'd visit the places where you're more likely experience what this feels like to greater degree.

Expand  

You don't think he should hang out in those places where he will feel more emotional to get a better sense of what a woman feels rather then thinks? 

I'm not making a distinction between groups that would facilitate thinking over feeling. I'm suggesting it might be beneficial if he moved on from that 4chan group, Board whatever it's called.

So basically groups that would emphasize the sensitivity and empathy over the vulnerability inherent (for women) in a 4-chan group.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Women, on average, are more vulnerable out in the world, in any world.  They are also more sensitive and have more empathy on average. It makes sense that if you're trying to understand a woman's perspective you'd visit the places where you're more likely experience what this feels like to greater degree. Hence your choices so far.

Okay, I will do that!

30 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Not really asserting that you should be more assertive but just contributing more to your own thread?

I suppose so. I admit I can be a bit lazy....

• Like 1

It's quite a shock to move from the position that most men experience in the world -- one of 'I have to be strong and in control' or 'I have to be the assertive one' to the position that women more often assume.

I remember us talking about this @Gopi Passiflora some months ago when you first noticed this difference.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's quite a shock to move from the position that most men experience in the world -- one of 'I have to be strong and in control' or 'I have to be the assertive one' to the position that women more often assume.

I remember us talking about this @Gopi Passiflora some months ago when you first noticed this difference.

Yeah, I suppose it can be enlightening.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah, I suppose it can be enlightening.

Yes...very freeing to experience that you don't have to exist in the way you were conditioned by society/parents. Very liberating not be stuck in a box and to be able to choose your life instead of react to the past. It's the same for women who learn they can be more assertive and/or in control.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.