What is with the constant upgrades??

Red52

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So frustrated! It seems like there is a new Viewer upload every month; I've had to go through two of them in the past week 😞  Every time there is an upgrade, it takes two-three weeks for me to not get frozen screens/ kicked out/ etc. on a routine basis.  This is completely frustrating and doesn't keep me motivated to continue with SL.  Is there a place to go to get help with these types of problems, for those who aren't tech savvy?  I'm tired of hearing 'you need to get your computer checked/ upgrade your graphics card, etc.'  If I have to get an upgraded graphics card every year, this is not worth it.

I'm running Firestorm's newest PBR beta on a roughly 4 year old Acer Nitro 5 laptop.. I went through all the Alpha releases, and didn't run into issues like you describe. I didn't have issues with the standard release either. As Kathlen said: "what viewer are you using"?  Do you have problems with any other software? Is your computer very old or low end? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red52 said:

So frustrated! It seems like there is a new Viewer upload every month; I've had to go through two of them in the past week 😞  Every time there is an upgrade, it takes two-three weeks for me to not get frozen screens/ kicked out/ etc. on a routine basis.  This is completely frustrating and doesn't keep me motivated to continue with SL.  Is there a place to go to get help with these types of problems, for those who aren't tech savvy?  I'm tired of hearing 'you need to get your computer checked/ upgrade your graphics card, etc.'  If I have to get an upgraded graphics card every year, this is not worth it.

Things get fixed in the code and updates are necessary, it's how it goes.

• Like 3

Do you mean official viewer? I know it forces upgrades, wasn't aware they were pushing them out that fast though.

Use an alternative viewer that doesn't force upgrade if it's annoying, you certainly don't need to upgrade your hardware every year though... something is clearly wrong. We can help but will need details.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you are using the SL viewer, you can shut off auto updates in preferences...

IIRC, there will still be times you are "required" to update, correct?

(In order to be compatible with some recent changes, etc.)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Beats me.  I.don't use the SL viewer.  Firestorm has a 3 build rule so you only have to.update if.the viewer you are using becomes #4.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Do you mean official viewer? I know it forces upgrades, wasn't aware they were pushing them out that fast though.

Use an alternative viewer that doesn't force upgrade if it's annoying, you certainly don't need to upgrade your hardware every year though... something is clearly wrong. We can help but will need details.

Yes- I'm using the official SL viewer, and don't like that it forces you to make the upgrade.  I used Firestorm for 11 years and didn't have the same problems with upgrades, plus it gives you a choice to not upgrade for a while.  Upgrades with FS started causing me the same types of problems about 2 years ago, and I could not find a solution.  I am using an Acer laptop and it does meet all the SL requirements for SL play.  I don't understand why sometimes I can be inworld for hours with no problems, then the next day/week I'm getting frozen/ booted out frequently.  What other information do you need to (possibly) help?  Thank you!

7 hours ago, Red52 said:

Yes- I'm using the official SL viewer, and don't like that it forces you to make the upgrade.  I used Firestorm for 11 years and didn't have the same problems with upgrades, plus it gives you a choice to not upgrade for a while.  Upgrades with FS started causing me the same types of problems about 2 years ago, and I could not find a solution.  I am using an Acer laptop and it does meet all the SL requirements for SL play.  I don't understand why sometimes I can be inworld for hours with no problems, then the next day/week I'm getting frozen/ booted out frequently.  What other information do you need to (possibly) help?  Thank you!

Go to Help -> About Second Life (I think that is what it is in the official viewer, the menu item that gives you a window with lots of text details) and copy/paste it all here. That gives us a pretty good idea of all the details we need.

When you say kicked out what do you mean exactly? (do you receive any messages/dialogs/anything?) same as frozen screen, are we talking a crash? is the computer recoverable or is it completely locked up etc?

17 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, sometimes upgrading is mandatory with the Linden Lab viewer.
They will let you know when you log in and limb behind in the upgrades too far.

Improvements come with upgrades. That's how things work.

Edited by Sid Nagy

9 hours ago, Red52 said:

I am using an Acer laptop and it does meet all the SL requirements for SL play. 

Depends on the laptop. Just because your laptop meets the requirements to run SL it may not meet the requirements to run SL well.  It would be helpful to know what the specs are on the laptop.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 9:44 AM, Bagnu said:

I'm running Firestorm's newest PBR beta on a roughly 4 year old Acer Nitro 5 laptop.. I went through all the Alpha releases, and didn't run into issues like you describe. I didn't have issues with the standard release either. As Kathlen said: "what viewer are you using"?  Do you have problems with any other software? Is your computer very old or low end? 

Hello- I am using the Second Life official viewer.  I used Firestorm for about 11 years with little to no problems, then began getting error messages about two years ago.  I could not find a solution for the FS problems, so switched to the SL official viewer.  My laptop is 3 years old.  How do I tell if it is low-end or not?

Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red52 said:

Hello- I am using the Second Life official viewer.  I used Firestorm for about 11 years with little to no problems, then began getting error messages about two years ago.  I could not find a solution for the FS problems, so switched to the SL official viewer.  My laptop is 3 years old.  How do I tell if it is low-end or not?

Thank you!

Yes, as Rowan said, please give us the info about your laptop. Did you use FS for a year with no problems with your newest laptop? What error messages did you get?

If you're using the official LL viewer, rename or delete the SLVersionChecker.exe file. That will stop the automatic upgrades. It'll then be up to you to periodically check the site for LL viewer updates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JeromFranzic said:

If you're using the official LL viewer, rename or delete the SLVersionChecker.exe file. That will stop the automatic upgrades. It'll then be up to you to periodically check the site for LL viewer updates.

That's fine, but it doesn't explain or fix why Red52 is having problems.  Eventually upgrades are necessary, even if we put them off, or after a while he/she won't be able to login at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:

That's fine, but it doesn't explain or fix why Red52 is having problems.  Eventually upgrades are necessary, even if we put them off, or after a while he/she won't be able to login at all.

True... I constantly upgrade my viewers anyway. I'm more of a TPV gal, especially Alchemy as the devs for it have added some features from Black Dragon. That's a huge deal for those of us TPing in Linux and Mac OS X.

Anyway... OP... got anymore info then?

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 2:31 AM, Red52 said:

There is only one solution, get rid of the crappy LL viewer and move on up to Firestorm (Phoenix Layout).

You update it when YOU want to update it, subject of course to the three version rule.

But generally you’ll be good a year or so before you have to upgrade

added: never mind, I see you used to use firestorm, just ignore this post 😬

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

There is only one solution, get rid of the crappy LL viewer and move on up to Firestorm (Phoenix Layout).

You update it when YOU want to update it, subject of course to the three version rule.

But generally you’ll be good a year or so before you have to upgrade

added: never mind, I see you used to use firestorm, just ignore this post 😬

There has to be an underlying reason for the OP's errors. That's what needs to be found first.  We don't have enough info to even guess at this point.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 10:43 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

added: never mind, I see you used to use firestorm, just ignore this post

No he uses the SL Viewer.  He had a problem with FS two years ago, so stopped using it. Lack of useful info from the OP makes his post just a rant.

On 3/27/2024 at 10:41 AM, Rowan Amore said:

If you are using the SL viewer, you can shut off auto updates in preferences...

17f214761461272afd4c73d05f7720c9.thumb.png.6931ac432808e10c5c159e293874c7fb.png

Thank you, Rowan! I just changed my Preferences!

On 3/28/2024 at 7:30 AM, AmeliaJ08 said:

Go to Help -> About Second Life (I think that is what it is in the official viewer, the menu item that gives you a window with lots of text details) and copy/paste it all here. That gives us a pretty good idea of all the details we need.

When you say kicked out what do you mean exactly? (do you receive any messages/dialogs/anything?) same as frozen screen, are we talking a crash? is the computer recoverable or is it completely locked up etc?

Thank you, Amelia- I will try to find and post the info.  My apologies to everyone; I have been ill and haven't been able to log in. What I mean by 'kicked out' is that my screen freezes and my avatar cannot/ does not respond to keyboard commands at all. Nothing else works by keyboard command either (ie: rezzing, building, etc.)   If I click on the screen during these times, the screen turns white then I get a message saying 'I've been logged out of SL.'  I can only 'recover' my laptop back to regular use if I use 'Control/Alt/Delete to bring up Task Manager, then close SL.

On 3/31/2024 at 1:52 PM, Bagnu said:

There has to be an underlying reason for the OP's errors. That's what needs to be found first.  We don't have enough info to even guess at this point.

Hello- here is my information from the SL Viewer: (my apologies to everyone- I have been ill in RL and not able to log in)

Second Life Release 7.1.4.8149792635 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 153.1, 95.0, 21.4 in Stepaside located at simhost-0c3d49571ff5c2e10.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Stepaside/153/95/21
(global coordinates 286,873.0, 280,927.0, 21.4)
Second Life Server 2024-03-18.8333615376
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz (1190.4 MHz)
Memory: 12078 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10/11 64-bit (Build 22631.3374)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.100.9079
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9079

Window size: 1600x829
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 32m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 1
Texture memory: 5480MB
Disk cache: Max size 1638.4 MB (100.0% used)

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.13
Dullahan: 1.14.0.202310131404
  CEF: 118.4.1+g3dd6078+chromium-118.0.5993.54
  Chromium: 118.0.5993.54
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.399bd0e

Packets Lost: 0/17,944 (0.0%)
April 05 2024 17:16:39

On 3/29/2024 at 8:06 AM, Rowan Amore said:

At the top of the viewer...Help/About Second Life  then Copy to Clipboard the computer info that is displayed and paste that info here.

Hi Rowan- here is the info I found:

Second Life Release 7.1.4.8149792635 (64bit)
Release Notes

You are at 153.1, 95.0, 21.4 in Stepaside located at simhost-0c3d49571ff5c2e10.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Stepaside/153/95/21
(global coordinates 286,873.0, 280,927.0, 21.4)
Second Life Server 2024-03-18.8333615376
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz (1190.4 MHz)
Memory: 12078 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10/11 64-bit (Build 22631.3374)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.100.9079
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.9079

Window size: 1600x829
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 32m
Bandwidth: 3000kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 1
Texture memory: 5480MB
Disk cache: Max size 1638.4 MB (100.0% used)

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.10.4
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.13
Dullahan: 1.14.0.202310131404
  CEF: 118.4.1+g3dd6078+chromium-118.0.5993.54
  Chromium: 118.0.5993.54
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.399bd0e

Packets Lost: 0/17,944 (0.0%)
April 05 2024 17:16:39

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.