I've been building for a moment and I'd like some advice/ideas or someone with interest to have a look at my build.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the last two months or so' on and off I've been building a forest of sorts, waterfall some streams and whatever came to mind.

But it is hard to judge your own work, I enjoy it and that obviously matters, but to go "public," open and have visitors, I am very new to that concept of making something useable and or passable as an area to hangout or simply explore out of curiosity, if anyone would like to have a look around a very much work in progress sim to help a novice builder, message me if you want, is bored or simply curious to see a messy sim! name -

Softcakes

I saw someone else a bit back posting/asking for a similar favor or request for this type of thing, so went to make my own post. 

Didn't really find which part of the forum to best post in but in general seemed best.

• Like 5

Love your username :D 

I'll message you the next time I am on to have a look^^

Edit: Would be awesome if you could drop me the LM in the meantime!

Edited by So Whimsy

20 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Love your username :D 

I'll message you the next time I am on to have a look^^

Edit: Would be awesome if you could drop me the LM in the meantime!

Wasn't sure if I could share it.

Have a look whenever it suits ya!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Softcakes/142/76/24

And thank you, it's a quirky yet simple username ♥ 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shireena1 said:

Softcakes already knows i have visited the sim.

Have you a horse rezzer in there yet ? 

Haha, I do! 

And nope, don't have a horse rezzer, not sure the forest is horse friendly? :P

7 hours ago, Softcakes said:

But it is hard to judge your own work

My opinion is that when you spend time in Second Life and build things (and are not trying to sell stuff), the person you need to satisfy is yourself. Do you like the build? Is this a place that gives you joy?

You seem to be building your landscape using top creators, so bravo. My only advice is to not rely too much on any one creator (e.g. Skye).

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 6:05 PM, diamond Marchant said:

My opinion is that when you spend time in Second Life and build things (and are not trying to sell stuff), the person you need to satisfy is yourself. Do you like the build? Is this a place that gives you joy?

You seem to be building your landscape using top creators, so bravo. My only advice is to not rely too much on any one creator (e.g. Skye).

For sure, pleasing yourself within your free time and with what you're doing rather than forcing through some half ass'ed ideas is more worthwhile, treating it like a job of sorts is not good, one should enjoy what they do' otherwise why do it...

Skye simply has the easiest items' when I started out their items were my go to. Since I don't make my own mesh/objects/ and so on, I'm kind of stuck using the best and that's been skye' in my lil opinion at least; they're very easy to modify as well.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:43 AM, Caitlin Tobias said:

It looks absolutely lovely and I am sure it will appeal to many SL Photographers! Well done!

22mrt24 softcakes 1.png

Looks so cozy. I've edited quite a lot since you took this picture, I love how it looks though! ♥ xD forgot about the laundry' 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:12 PM, InnerCity Elf said:

It's lovely! And what a nice rainbow. My only complaint is that somehow I landed in the middle of a pond. Good thing I didn't have my Sunday, but just my Monday boots on. ;)

Thank you!! xo. I love the rainbow .v. 

I'm terribly sorry xD 

Didn't know where to place the landing point and I suppose it happened to be too close to the water.' 

• Like 1

I think it's quite lovely. For the sake of offering some useful criticism, however unnecessary it may be:

Naturalness in landscapes is heightened by paying attention to the smoothness or coherence of transitions between types of terrain and materials. Think of how those appear in nature, and often some intervening "transition" material is required.

When making cliffs and large expanses of rocks, pay attention to the "grain" of the rock. If you start rotating pieces in an attempt to achieve a certain shape you often end up with rock striations that don't make sense from a geological perspective, and the viewer's brain will notice that. Either change the shape of the rock or rotate the textures to get a more natural look.

Large expanses of any one material tend to look artificial. In the case of the rock face, consider breaking it up visually with vines, moss, etc so it's not so monolithic. In the case of grass, adding some prim grass and just slightly altering the hue of each patch can make it look more natural.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thecla said:

I think it's quite lovely. For the sake of offering some useful criticism, however unnecessary it may be:

Naturalness in landscapes is heightened by paying attention to the smoothness or coherence of transitions between types of terrain and materials. Think of how those appear in nature, and often some intervening "transition" material is required.

When making cliffs and large expanses of rocks, pay attention to the "grain" of the rock. If you start rotating pieces in an attempt to achieve a certain shape you often end up with rock striations that don't make sense from a geological perspective, and the viewer's brain will notice that. Either change the shape of the rock or rotate the textures to get a more natural look.

Large expanses of any one material tend to look artificial. In the case of the rock face, consider breaking it up visually with vines, moss, etc so it's not so monolithic. In the case of grass, adding some prim grass and just slightly altering the hue of each patch can make it look more natural.

Thank you! 

That gave me lots of think about.

I appreciate it, been trying to figure out how to smoothen these aspects out as well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.