38 attachment points are not enough

AyelaNewLife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Do they not? I have the original lifetime account and have 50 attachment points, I assume premium and premium plus are similar but I admittedly have not looked what they include.

Are you sure about 50 attachment points? Remember clothing layers are completely separate. As far as I know, there are 38 attachment spots regardless of your account level. 

From the wiki:

• Max. # of attachments - 38 combined HUD or body attachments.
    • They can be viewed by right-clicking your avatar and choosing Edit My Outfit.
    • With the formal introduction of multiple attachments to a single point in Viewer 2.4, you can attach up to 38 total objects, and they can all be attached to a single point.
    • With the introduction of the Bento armature, there are 47 attachment points available.
    • With the introduction of Animesh, there is a limit of 1 Animesh attachment for Basic & Plus members, 2 if the resident has Premium or Premium Plus.

So while there are 47 attachment points you can ONLY attach a maximum number of 38 objects.

• Thanks 1

Mostly, 38 is enough, but occasionally it isn't, usually when, in addition to all of the usual things, I am wearing multiple items that have texture-change HUDs. I don't need to wear those HUDs continuously, but I do need them when I first don the outfit, and I know of no other way to attach them conveniently than to include them in the outfit.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Are you sure about 50 attachment points? Remember clothing layers are completely separate. As far as I know, there are 38 attachment spots regardless of your account level. 

From the wiki:

• Max. # of attachments - 38 combined HUD or body attachments.
    • They can be viewed by right-clicking your avatar and choosing Edit My Outfit.
    • With the formal introduction of multiple attachments to a single point in Viewer 2.4, you can attach up to 38 total objects, and they can all be attached to a single point.
    • With the introduction of the Bento armature, there are 47 attachment points available.
    • With the introduction of Animesh, there is a limit of 1 Animesh attachment for Basic & Plus members, 2 if the resident has Premium or Premium Plus.

So while there are 47 attachment points you can ONLY attach a maximum number of 38 objects.

This is what it says under Wearing:

Screenshot 2024-03-14 010815.png

3 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Mostly, 38 is enough, but occasionally it isn't, usually when, in addition to all of the usual things, I am wearing multiple items that have texture-change HUDs. I don't need to wear those HUDs continuously, but I do need them when I first don the outfit, and I know of no other way to attach them conveniently than to include them in the outfit.

I used to include huds in my outfits, but I find that it is easier to just right click on the item I want the hud for in my Wearing tab and select Show Original which opens the folder in my inventory window and I can attach the hud. I don't need the hud every time, so it is more convenient just to grab them when I do.

• Like 5

Rez out your stuff and start linking together the things you're always wearing.

If it's no-mod and can't be linked - switch brands.

(I'm aware 2 of the the top three mesh bodies are no-mod, and most of the heads are no-mod... and I don't expect people to just jump because of this. But they SHOULD pressure those brands to stop being jerks. That said, all sorts of other things can be linked, and most HUDs don't need to be kept on most of the time...)

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Rez out your stuff and start linking together the things you're always wearing.

this is what I do

i can tho easy use all 38 attachment points after linking all I can

i consider myself still naked after attaching all body, hair, neko ears tail, wings + jewels. Jewels and body piercings I wear heaps off as standard me so not typical of most other people. I also have 6 huds that I wear standard me. I am a bling bunny

so yes I have to ration my actual clothing due to the current 38 attachment limit

sometimes I think I would like more but am pretty sure that I would use them all up as well and still want more Pretty Linden please. So I can be a double bling bunny 😻

is the same with layers.  Back in a previous life when baked layers was being introduced, like how many layers would be reasonable? I said at that time I could use 22 layers just for face and body, nevermind additional for clothing layers. Since BOM layers came I can use about 40 just for face and body, nevermind clothing layers, without even trying

The mod versus no mod is a big problem for me.

I said for maybe 10 years ago: "No mod, no buy". That did not last long. I can not do it. It is so few that allow mod, and it gets worse every year. Creators use color change and texture change HUDs and set the item to no modify.

If I only buy modify, I am left with few options... 😪

And the creators do not notice if one of 10 000 drop their products. I have never seen others outside of the forum wish for modify rights in SL.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Attachment points are only taken up by mesh objects. BOM layers, skins, physics, alpha layers etc do not contribute towards that limit.

Most mesh bodies will come in 3 components; body, feet and hands. Most mesh heads come in 3-4 components; head, eyes, teeth, ears (more variation between brands here). Hairs will usually only take up 1 slot, but often will come with an accessory or wisps etc in addition. That gets you more or less halfway to 20.

Then you add in accessories that are almost always on. For me, that's my glasses, earrings, nose piercing and wedding ring, for 4 more attachments. A body deformer, the Firestorm bridge and an AO takes me to 15 attachments. Nothing I've described so far is excessive or out of the ordinary for most people.

I then have a couple of extras that might not be considered essential by most people. An RLV collar, and a scriptless alternative collar as I prefer the visuals of one and the mechanics of the other. A spanker and a kisser. I keep my deformer HUD on 24/7 due to issues with region crossings, and I keep my visible attachment reader on 24/7 for ease of stealing ideas gaining inspiration. I also have a HUD that automatically changes my active group e.g. if I go to a store that I'm a member of.

So that's actually 22; I rounded down.

Blue: Actually, I think Legacy is the only current female mesh body that still uses separate feet and hands.

Red: All these items are unnecessary for taking photos. The AO and scripted RLV collar probably aren't either. Create an outfit made up of only happy funtimes items, and then one made up of only photographic items. Swap them in and out as necessary.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Blue: Actually, I think Legacy is the only current female mesh body that still uses separate feet and hands.

Red: All these items are unnecessary for taking photos. The AO and scripted RLV collar probably aren't either. Create an outfit made up of only happy funtimes items, and then one made up of only photographic items. Swap them in and out as necessary.

Can we take off the Firestorm bridge? I thought we could not function without it (running Firestorm).

What happens when we take it off, is a new one created next time we log in?

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

Can we take off the Firestorm bridge? I thought we could not function without it (running Firestorm).

You can set up Firestorm to not use the bridge. A lot of the functions have been added to the basic viewer code a long time ago.

14 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

You only need it if you use enhanced radar functions and things like the built in movelock but otherwise you don't need it.

6 minutes ago, Modulated said:

You only need it if you use enhanced radar functions and things like the built in movelock but otherwise you don't need it.

I've been told and found it makes a difference to their inviewer ao. I've had to reinstall it a few times to get animations working.

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I've been told and found it makes a difference to their inviewer ao. I've had to reinstall it a few times to get animations working.

Which animations? It's not even needed for their built in ao.

6 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Which animations? It's not even needed for their built in ao.

The walking animations on their built in one. I consistently had issues with sliding instead of walking until the bridge was deleted and recreated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The walking animations on their built in one. I consistently had issues with sliding instead of walking until the bridge was deleted and recreated.

That is odd because the bridge has nothing to do with the ao, there's nothing it does for it. 

I remember a few years ago i had similar issues with the FS AO - the animations seemed to slide for several seconds before actually looking normal.  At the time I couldn't work out what was causing it, so I stopped using it and went back to my trusty regular AO.  Never found out what the issue was, but I know that these days I use the FS AO and it seems fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

I remember a few years ago i had similar issues with the FS AO - the animations seemed to slide for several seconds before actually looking normal.  At the time I couldn't work out what was causing it, so I stopped using it and went back to my trusty regular AO.  Never found out what the issue was, but I know that these days I use the FS AO and it seems fine.

Probably an ankle lock attachment/device, it will cause that sometimes because of priority conflicts.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Modulated said:

That is odd because the bridge has nothing to do with the ao, there's nothing it does for it. 

It was an FS adviser who suggested it after we tried everything else and it did seem to work as after that I have had no more sliding issues. The old bridge was a couple versions behind.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It was an FS adviser who suggested it after we tried everything else and it did seem to work as after that I have had no more sliding issues. The old bridge was a couple versions behind.

It's hogwash , I assure you. Disable it , remove it, and see for yourself.

Edited by Modulated
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Modulated said:

says right in the wiki  "AO Support for Objects: Allows collars or other scripted items to enable/disable the built-in animation overrider. This can be enabled/disabled in Preferences → Firestorm -> Avatar."

and on the troubleshooting page: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_bridge_issues

A “broken” bridge can also affect movement.

Likely myself and some others who had issues with sliding, were suffering from such a "broken bridge".

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

says right in the wiki  "AO Support for Objects: Allows collars or other scripted items to enable/disable the built-in animation overrider. This can be enabled/disabled in Preferences → Firestorm -> Avatar."

and on the troubleshooting page: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_bridge_issues

A “broken” bridge can also affect movement.

Likely myself and some others who had issues with sliding, were suffering from such a "broken bridge".

It works with those things, it is NOT NECESSARY for just ao animations. I have been using FS for years with the bridge disabled, no ill effects because I don't need the non-essential viewer functions it enhances. Use it if you want to use it, doesn't bother me, but it's not necessary in the least.

Edited by Modulated

The FS built-in AO uses the viewer itself to play animations. This is bad, because the viewer can be slow (or fail) to play animations fast enough while your computer or network is lagging.

Scripts don't have this issue because all avatar movement is handled by the sim, where scripts also run. If the sim knows you're moving, scripts know too, and scripts aren't affected by your personal lag.

And while it's true that scripts can lag kind of 'separately' from the sim, modern AOs use something called llSetAnimationOverride to literally replace your avatar's animations. This way you don't even need to have the AO attached -- it will continue to work even without scripts. It's fool-proof, costs no resources and is entirely unaffected by lag.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Modulated said:

It works with those things, it is NOT NECESSARY for just ao animations. I have been using FS for years with the bridge disabled, no ill effects because I don't need the non-essential viewer functions it enhances. Use it if you want to use it, doesn't bother me, but it's not necessary in the least.

Yes I prefer to continue using it as I have a number already set up and I don't really care for the scripted ones I have. Buying new ones considering the high prices of some I like, is not really a good option.

Any case the thread is pointing out that 38 attachment points is not enough and I agree that in today's market, it would be nice to have more as it is starting to require sacrifices by some of us in certain cases. Granted that there are some workarounds like the Bridge and the Mod options but its a lot of extra work or not possible in some instances and a small change to the server and viewer code could easily increase that to 45 or even 50 attachments. Back when they seemingly arbitrarily set it to 38 it might have been sufficient but then that is not unlike it used to be fine to have a computer with a 100 MB of ram whereas now one needs 16 or even 32 GB of it to work properly and efficiently.

There really has not been a good argument presented yet for only limiting the attachment points to 38.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.